Best hunting long range scope

JGRaider

WKR
I agree with SD.......just got back from whitetail hunting and hog killing in the TX Panhandle. I had a couple of Arken EPL4's, an Athlon Helos 2-12x, and and LRHS 4.5-18x. They all got me a little past legal shooting light, easily. The reticle matters a much as the glass.

KenLee

WKR
I agree with SD.......just got back from whitetail hunting and hog killing in the TX Panhandle. I had a couple of Arken EPL4's, an Athlon Helos 2-12x, and and LRHS 4.5-18x. They all got me a little past legal shooting light, easily. The reticle matters a much as the glass.
As I said in my first post, South Carolina.
Different time frame here

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Use lots of them, keep the good ones, from actual use, not what some internet wannabe like you says. You're attempt at character assassination is weak, very weak, and I have nothing I need to prove to you or anyone else around here. Go over to 24HCF and search for my pics if you're that curious, or ask around. Put your big boy pants on though......it's a tough crowd.
I don’t know what 24HCF is JG. Just post up what works. Way faster and easier than what you just typed.

Use lots of them, keep the good ones, from actual use, not what some internet wannabe like you says. You're attempt at character assassination is weak, very weak, and I have nothing I need to prove to you or anyone else around here. Go over to 24HCF and search for my pics if you're that curious, or ask around. Put your big boy pants on though......it's a tough crowd.
You seriously won’t post what scopes work for you in a thread that is asking for scope recommendations? What is the point of you being in this thread or even this forum in general then. It is very showing that you are just doing this to inflate your own ego and argue for the sake of arguing.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
You seriously won’t post what scopes work for you in a thread that is asking for scope recommendations? What is the point of you being in this thread or even this forum in general then. It is very showing that you are just doing this to inflate your own ego and argue for the sake of arguing.
You'll notice it's a theme with ole JG in tons of threads, which I normally ignore, but I hadn't eaten breakfast yet and was hangry this morning. He's the literal definition of a troll in these scope threads.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Sorry for adding to the derailment OP, if you weed through all the junk, which I contributed to, I did actually post up a scope recommendation for you in post #44.

I'll be seeing myself off to the next scope recommendation thread and can't wait to see what topics end up being discussed in there!

If JG actually posts up the legendary "decades of never losing zero" delivery system somebody please tag me. I'm not kidding about buying it exactly as he states and giving it a go.

fwafwow

WKR
This thread is like The Love Boat…
  • Same lovable cast of characters
  • Same general (predictable) storyline every episode
  • 3 simultaneous but completely separate plots
It really is the gift that keeps on giving!

View attachment 642153
Used to be one of my favorite shows. But thinking back, there wasn't much to choose from at the time. I don't want to be presumptuous, but am I one of the cast of characters? Julie McCoy might be taken by some as a slight, but in today's day and age, I think her character might be the best, as she helps keep things light and fun!

Which one is Jay-Z tater?

fwafwow

WKR
Sorry for adding to the derailment OP, if you weed through all the junk, which I contributed to, I did actually post up a scope recommendation for you in post #44.

I'll be seeing myself off to the next scope recommendation thread and can't wait to see what topics end up being discussed in there!

If JG actually posts up the legendary "decades of never losing zero" delivery system somebody please tag me. I'm not kidding about buying it exactly as he states and giving it a go.
Pictures would be cool. Although I think that JZ is maybe working on a separate thread. That's best for the OP and would lead to much more traffic (good for the mods).

he's a gold ring guy, pretty sure he's pushed vx3, 5, and 6 as flawless in recent threads.

JGRaider

WKR
I've done that numerous times, some here just can't understand that reality is sometimes different than what you read about.

I've been big game hunting since 1971 when my dad introduced me to mule deer hunting. I had several set and forget Leupold's over a 30 year period. Wound up killing a couple thousand inches of mule deer with a 3-9x Vari XIIc, then went to a Vari XIII 3.5-10x40 for years. Over the past 20 years or so, I used the same Vari XIII, a couple of SwaroA 3.5-10x42, a couple of Zeiss Conquest 3.5-10x44. Still have the Conquest on a T3 7mm Mag, the two Swaro's both lost erectors, Swaro fixed them, I sold them, and a Leupold VX3 also lost zero due to bad erector and sold that one too.

Today, I like screwing around with dialing for longer ranges, mostly targets, the occasional hog or 'yote and deer. Longest I've killed a buck is 498 yards. My gear spends a lot of time in an ATV, UTV, and truck. I have zero brand loyalty. The ones I use most today, that have proven to hold zero, dial/RTZ are:

VX6 2-12x, Tikka 695 7Mag, Optilock mounts, 10+ years, 99% set and forget, rock solid on several trips to Africa, Sonora MX, and TX, OK, and NM.

Athlon Helos 2-12x, McWhorter 7mm08, Sportsmatch. So far so good dialing, holding zero, etc but only 200 rounds or so.

Arken EPL4 6-24x, Sako S20 6.5 PRC, Arken Halo mounts. Only a couple hundred rounds so far on mostly targets (out to 1100 and back) and about a dozen hogs. Performs perfectly so far.

Arken EPL4 4-16x44, Tikka T3, Leupold dual dovetail bases, Burris Signature rings. Same as above performance.

Bushnell LRHS 4.5-18x44, Tikka T3X 6.5CM, Sportsmatch. 750'ish rounds, zero issues ever.

Athlon Ares BTR 4.5-27x APLR3, Tikka CTR 6.5CM, Warne rings. 1000'ish rounds, perfect performance, 95% dialing/targets.