Go back to same area as year prior if successful?

Rob5589

WKR
Is it a wise choice to hunt the same area that you killed an elk in the season prior? I am thinking since the spot produced to start there again this season. Good idea? Bad idea?

Thanks

JLane330

Lil-Rokslider
Absolutely! You already know more about that area than a new one...where the animals may be, what their patterns are like, water holes, glassing points (if any), roads, etc. I'm a big fan of hunting the same unit/area even if unsuccessful the previous year, assuming I saw animals I was interested in around the area.

Same spot every year. Always learning it better for when life isn’t so easy because believe me brother those days will come. You’re off to a good start! Good luck!

went in blind 2 seasons ago and killed a bull. Saw so much sign from years of use we returned following season and killed a bull in first 10 min of light 300 yards from the bull prior season. We will be back this year
All the spots I know like that are draw...but since I will be hunting West side this year, I'll be looking for spot like that. Western WA seems weird to me. The elk are really spread out.

rayporter

WKR
some folks just like to see the other side of the mountain and finding new territory is in the their nature.

but if you want to kill elk dont leave a producing area. also many times you have to learn an area before it will produce for you. and that may take more than one trip.

Werty

WKR
It's a personal choice, will you be happy hunting there again. If yes, then absolutely, if some other place looks better, then go. I never leave elk to find elk, haven't killed enough yet to be picky.

I personally like exploring and mature animals. So it would be easy for me to hunt a new area even if I knew of an area that held a lot of immature elk. I'm also not much of a killer though. I don't have to punch a tag just to say I punched a tag.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have a blown up photo of my prime area with pins of meatpoles on it I’m leaving it buried in a bottle some day🤣 yes go back

rayporter

WKR
we used to get a huge laugh out of responses when at breakfast or in line to get our license.

always would hear a question of 'where are the elk this year'

responses of too hot, too dry, been wet or no snow last year, etc. would mean the elk were high or down low or .....

i am reminded of an old saying that the elk will be where they have always been.