Going From Rifle to Compound

Behlftball

Lil-Rokslider
I'd consider myself to be more of a rifle hunter and haven't bowhunted west of the Mississippi. I'm a first generation hunter and started hunting after crossbows became legal in WI during archery season and have only used a crossbow. I have a desire to be able to bow hunt elk (and a few other species) but one big obstacle is honestly getting and practicing with a compound bow. It's not a $$$ thing, but a time and learning curve concern. I think I'd personally like the spot and stalk with a bow vs calling.

These are my concerns:

How long does it take one to become proficient with a compound?

Meat care hunting solo in September concerns me.

Having success solo spotting and stalking vs a 2 caller setup.

I'm running into all the rifle seasons are on top of each other and I'd love to be able to extend my season.

Go to a archery shop and shoot a bow you well be surprised how fast you can get dialed in at 30 yards. All summer to practice.
Stay closer to the road 1-3 miles and work your butt off when you get 1.
There are alot of people that love hunting by themselves and actually prefer it.
Just my opinion but archery elk is way better than rifle. And I've done both.

OP
Behlftball

Behlftball

Lil-Rokslider
Go to a archery shop and shoot a bow you well be surprised how fast you can get dialed in at 30 yards. All summer to practice.
Stay closer to the road 1-3 miles and work your butt off when you get 1.
There are alot of people that love hunting by themselves and actually prefer it.
Just my opinion but archery elk is way better than rifle. And I've done both.
Thanks, I appreciate this advice. I didn't really thing about the archery shop thing. Shows what a newb I am to it.

Really focus on the mechanics of your shot with the bow. If you can dial in your mechanics then you’ll be able to kill anything out to 50 yards with ease. Best of luck! Would love to hear how this develops!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SDHNTR

WKR
With todays compound archery gear, there isn’t much learning curve. You could be lethal inside of 40 yards within a few weeks tops.

OP
Behlftball

Behlftball

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the support. I'll be off to the archery shop

cstab

FNG
Archery hunting is quite the addiction. Be ready to bury those rifles in the safe.

Like other have said, the learning curve is not that difficult. You’ll learn with the more arrows you shoot where your anchor points are and tweaks to your form to shoot best.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I started out rifle hunting then switched to bow 15 years ago. It's been life changing. I hunt solo a lot and haven't had any issues with meat loss. As for learning curve.....I'll tell you, my first shot I was worried about missing the entire 48" target from 10 yards at the shop. Within a week, I was at home slapping arrows together at 60 yards. I got that bow the end of May and had put in for a ML tag because I thought the learning curve was going to be way more than it was. I didn't draw the ML tag, so OTC archery was the only option left. I probably averaged 3000 arrows a month through the summer and I shot my first archery bull that year from 71 yards. Haven't taken a shot that long at game since. The shooting is just a small aspect of hunting and that comes quickly. The actual elk hunting aspect is a learning experience for the rest of your life. I've been chasing elk since 1980 and I learn something new every year. Get the bow and go. It will change your life too.

OP
Behlftball

Behlftball

Lil-Rokslider
Okay… I’ll ask first.

What kind of rifles you got?

Because you’ll be selling them. 😂
Haha, I've instituted my father in laws policy, "I don't sell guns anymore because every time I've sold one I've regretted it"

OP
Behlftball

Behlftball

Lil-Rokslider
I started out rifle hunting then switched to bow 15 years ago. It's been life changing. I hunt solo a lot and haven't had any issues with meat loss. As for learning curve.....I'll tell you, my first shot I was worried about missing the entire 48" target from 10 yards at the shop. Within a week, I was at home slapping arrows together at 60 yards. I got that bow the end of May and had put in for a ML tag because I thought the learning curve was going to be way more than it was. I didn't draw the ML tag, so OTC archery was the only option left. I probably averaged 3000 arrows a month through the summer and I shot my first archery bull that year from 71 yards. Haven't taken a shot that long at game since. The shooting is just a small aspect of hunting and that comes quickly. The actual elk hunting aspect is a learning experience for the rest of your life. I've been chasing elk since 1980 and I learn something new every year. Get the bow and go. It will change your life too.

Thanks for the encouragement! Yeah, I'm really trying to expand my seasons as the rifle elk seasons are so crammed together, plus the whitetail rut is right in the middle of them. I really want to expand hunting opportunities. In addition, MT and WY let you hunt both seasons on the general tag so that will be a big bonus in the future too. I'm also looking at doing the Haul Road caribou hunt in AK in 2023 and am not quite sure about the 5 mile death march by myself to get into the rifle zone haha

For meat care it depends on elevation, slope aspect and where you drop the elk. If your 7 point bull drops in the sun on a late fall warm day and you're solo you'd better work fast because unless you're the Incredible Hulk you're working in the sun and that thing isn't moveable. Also, if you're allergic to bees or wasps, have your benadryl and epi-pens as the last few years around here have in drought and those wasps are not friendly come hunting season.

OP
Behlftball

Behlftball

Lil-Rokslider
For meat care it depends on elevation, slope aspect and where you drop the elk. If your 7 point bull drops in the sun on a late fall warm day and you're solo you'd better work fast because unless you're the Incredible Hulk you're working in the sun and that thing isn't moveable. Also, if you're allergic to bees or wasps, have your benadryl and epi-pens as the last few years around here have in drought and those wasps are not friendly come hunting season.
Thanks! I've only ever quartered a bear and moose last year in Idaho in September.. That was a process. I did have my wife along though.

Gman12

Lil-Rokslider
I would recommend trying to hunt deer around home for a year or two before heading out west for elk. You can practice and practice and get good at hitting targets but shooting an animal is different. Better to get this kinks worked out on a deer than mess up on a big bull out west IMO.

I wouldn't say I "switched" as I find value in rifle and archery hunts.

I started shooting a compound in 2017 and I am pretty accurate for not shooting everyday. I purchased a bow that fit me well, was comfortable and was of high quality. Like others have said, focus on mechanics and your accuracy will follow. Don't get too stuck on "the right way" to shoot the bow either. I have seen people utilize many different techniques and the results were the same, accurate.

kickemall

WKR
As others have said the learning curve isn't that steep but the rabbit hole can get deep if you let it as can the cost. Premium bows and premium arrows aren't cheap. Then there's always the "I'll try this and shoot better". Better releases, better broadheads, better sights - you name it. Then there's learning how to tune or not and endlessly working to improve form depending how obsessive you are. It definitely will make you a better hunter but just be aware that it isn't quite as simple as it seems at first glance.

OP
Behlftball

Behlftball

Lil-Rokslider
Never know, one of these years that ole booners gonna walk in front of my stand!
I would recommend trying to hunt deer around home for a year or two before heading out west for elk. You can practice and practice and get good at hitting targets but shooting an animal is different. Better to get this kinks worked out on a deer than mess up on a big bull out west IMO.