Good factual documentary on wolves

sneaky

"DADDY"
I don’t have a strong feeling in either direction. On the one hand I place inherent value on the existence and population-level health of a native animal - even a predator. In other words, they deserve to exist in some capacity.

On the other hand, I sympathize with the ranchers whose livelihoods are actually negatively affected by their presence. I don’t have to deal with that, but I recognize it as a real issue for them. I can’t claim that my vague interest in seeing a wolf trumps the ranchers’ concerns.

I don’t particularly sympathize with hunters who want them gone solely because of their effect on ungulates - if such people exist. That strikes me as somewhat selfish, but perhaps I’m misunderstanding them. Ungulates managed to coexist with wolves prior to human intervention; I’m sure they could do it again. Perhaps herds will be substantially thinned - that’s okay, as long as it’s naturally stable.

I’m no expert on wolves, their effect on cattle or ungulates, so of course take my opinion for what it’s worth.
They survived with wolves long before man destroyed all of their winter range and forced them into non- native areas. Now they are in the same small box with apex predators. Without human intervention they stand little chance.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think you misunderstand my point - maybe I was unclear. My point is that we know it is possible to for deer elk etc to coexist with wolves because that is what happened for tens of thousands of years prior to humans populating the west. That’s all I meant.
I'm saying that was way way back then this is now 2020 and it no longer self regulates and can not return when it could. Man now picks the survivers it's really that simple.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

sneaky

"DADDY"
I’m suggesting that wolves, deer, elk, moose, etc all managed to exist in the west prior to the white man arriving.
Elk are a plains animal by nature. Plains habitat turned into America's bread basket.

RCB

WKR
They survived with wolves long before man destroyed all of their winter range and forced them into non- native areas. Now they are in the same small box with apex predators. Without human intervention they stand little chance.

You’re suggesting that the wolves would eat the ungulates out of existence?

I think you misunderstand my point - maybe I was unclear. My point is that we know it is possible to for deer elk etc to coexist with wolves because that is what happened for tens of thousands of years prior to humans populating the west. That’s all I meant.
Man was there for ten of thousands of years with them. Just not our culture.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

sneaky

"DADDY"
You’re suggesting that the wolves would eat the ungulates out of existence?
Now that they are confined to the same areas? Absolutely feasible. The environmentalists like to twist facts surrounding herd numbers, specifically in yellowstone, but it's more than coincidental that the herd numbers started dropping in conjunction with wolf introduction. Show us an area with a wolf population where ungulates are thriving. Moose in Yellowstone are few and far between anymore, they stand no chance. Same in MN and UP of MI.

RCB

WKR
Now that they are confined to the same areas? Absolutely feasible. The environmentalists like to twist facts surrounding herd numbers, specifically in yellowstone, but it's more than coincidental that the herd numbers started dropping in conjunction with wolf introduction. Show us an area with a wolf population where ungulates are thriving. Moose in Yellowstone are few and far between anymore, they stand no chance. Same in MN and UP of MI.

My (pretty weak) understanding of predator - prey dynamics is that they tend to be cyclical. Wolves show up and eat a lot of elk. Elk dwindle (or move out), which means the wolves have a lot less to eat and dwindle in turn. Then the cycle repeats.

All this to say, I am skeptical of the claim that wolves could drive elk in a region to extinction, long term. Reduced numbers, sure. But again I’m no expert.

Grundy53

WKR
But that is forever changed. It used to be a cycle. Prey populations rose which allowed predator populations to rise which lowered the prey populations which lowered the predator populations which again allowed the prey populations to rise. Repeat. Now with humans prey populations rise allowing predator populations to rise which lowers prey populations which causes predator populations to start preying on livestock and pets which sustains the predator populations which make it very difficult for prey populations to increase.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

RCB

WKR
But that is forever changed. It used to be a cycle. Prey populations rose which allowed predator populations to rise which lowered the prey populations which lowered the predator populations which again allowed the prey populations to rise. Repeat. Now with humans prey populations rise allowing predator populations to rise which lowers prey populations which causes predator populations to start preying on livestock and pets which sustains the predator populations which make it very difficult for prey populations to increase.

I buy that as a possible hypothesis. But is this actually documented? How confident are you of this theory? I mean, if wolves switch to livestock, presumably that is a respite for the ungulates that allows them to recover - stable equilibrium reached. Eating a cow or sheep means not eating an elk or deer, after all.

Reactions: GMC

Okhotnik

WKR
I buy that as a possible hypothesis. But is this actually documented? How confident are you of this theory? I mean, if wolves switch to livestock, presumably that is a respite for the ungulates that allows them to recover - stable equilibrium reached. Eating a cow or sheep means not eating an elk or deer, after all.

Wow still don’t get it

I have a suggestion: when wolves are introduced to Colorado stop hunting for 10 years so they have enough protein to consume

Mind boggling the guys who live non wolf states think they understand

Grundy53

WKR
They don't stop eating deer and elk. The livestock just allows for an over carrying capacity of predators. It won't give the deer and elk a respite. It will just allow more predators to remain on the landscape.

Okhotnik

WKR
They don't stop eating deer and elk. The livestock just allows for an over carrying capacity of predators. It won't give the deer and elk a respite. It will just allow more predators to remain on the landscape.

Clown show🤡🤡

He lives in an urban area in Colorado

He knows wolves and wildlife management intimately 😂😂😂

RCB

WKR

I appreciate you and others sharing their knowledge on this. I remain skeptical that ungulates would be entirely wiped out but, as I said, I grant it as a plausible hypothesis. I'll read around and keep an open mind. I don't take any man's word for it (nor should anyone take mine), but I do listen to others and continue to learn.

Okhotnik, I repeated many times that I am not an expert on this topic. I have shared my skepticism, offered my own limited thoughts, and stated from the beginning that I do not have any ideological stance on this matter. Yet you accuse me of pretending that I "know wolves and wildlife management intimately", and call me a clown. For the sake of the integrity of the forum, I suggest you behave as Grundy53, sneaky, realunlucky, and others have, and share your knowledge and dissenting opinions without resorting to childish insults.

Grundy53

WKR
I appreciate you and others sharing their knowledge on this. I remain skeptical that ungulates would be entirely wiped out but, as I said, I grant it as a plausible hypothesis. I'll read around and keep an open mind. I don't take any man's word for it (nor should anyone take mine), but I do listen to others and continue to learn.

Okhotnik, I repeated many times that I am not an expert on this topic. I have shared my skepticism, offered my own limited thoughts, and stated from the beginning that I do not have any ideological stance on this matter. Yet you accuse me of pretending that I "know wolves and wildlife management intimately", and call me a clown. For the sake of the integrity of the forum, I suggest you behave as Grundy53, sneaky, realunlucky, and others have, and share your knowledge and dissenting opinions without resorting to childish insults.
I'm not saying that the deer and elk would be completely wiped out. But the population would be a shell of its former self.

RCB

WKR
I'm not saying that the deer and elk would be completely wiped out. But the population would be a shell of its former self.

That strikes me as much more plausible. How much do you suspect they would be reduced, in the long run? 50% reduced? 90% reduced? I have no idea of course.

Grundy53

WKR
That strikes me as much more plausible. How much do you suspect they would be reduced, in the long run? 50% reduced? 90% reduced? I have no idea of course.
Well the Yellowstone herd went from around 19,000 to around 1,500.

RCB

WKR
Well the Yellowstone herd went from around 19,000 to around 1,500.

That's quite a drop. I wonder if they've rebounded at all. Supposedly they were around 7k in Yellowstone area last year, lower this year, supposedly due to winter kill (from google around a bit; not sure how counts were conducted). Certainly well below 19k.

I'm assuming most of that drop is due to elk leaving the area to escape predation- onto private, other national forest, etc? Will have to read up on that.

Of course, this all opens the question of "how many elk *should* there be". I'm in no position to offer any suggestion of course.

Ratbeetle

WKR
That's quite a drop. I wonder if they've rebounded at all. Supposedly they were around 7k in Yellowstone area last year, lower this year, supposedly due to winter kill (from google around a bit; not sure how counts were conducted). Certainly well below 19k.

I'm assuming most of that drop is due to elk leaving the area to escape predation- onto private, other national forest, etc? Will have to read up on that.

Of course, this all opens the question of "how many elk *should* there be". I'm in no position to offer any suggestion of course.

What are you basing that assumption on?

RCB

WKR
Not much - perhaps I should have said "guessing". Just seems such a large number, that it would be due to a combination of predation, emigration, winter-kill, etc. But I really have no idea.

Okhotnik

WKR

You have received numerous first hand replies from those who
Live with wolves every day and see their negative influences on ungulalates but refuse to listen

Your infantile view of wolves is frustating to say the least

Obvious based on your multiple posts using platitudes that your mind is already made up and have no real interest on wolves’ impact on moose deer and elk and do not want to hear anything negative about wolves in which you have no real world experience. Just biased internet searches

Keep googling as google results in very biased search results