Good news for Ebiker users on public land.

E-bikes are bigger and heavier than comparable mountain bikes and allow regular guys to lay down superhuman torque with knobbier tires when it’s needed most. That means more trail damage especially in technical features, mud and widening singletrack. All that is true regardless of e-bike class.

I’m not a E-bike hater by any means, but they are in no way the same from land use perspective

RMM

WKR
Every liberal yuppie and their brother will be out on their ebike. Backcountry hunting doesn’t need ebikes. What next, little Starbucks stands at the trailhead.
Now that you mention it, a nice fresh espresso would be pretty awesome for a 5+ mile hike in..

I propose we allow all of those that have the money to pool together to build a chairlift to the summit of Denali. Just because they don’t want to do the actual work or learn the mountaineering skills to climb the mountain doesn’t mean they should be denied the view from the highest bit of public land. By god it’s their right ain’t it?

To head off rage posts… yes, that was an extreme example and it was sort of a joke. I don’t think e-bikes should be allowed on non-motorized trails. I will contact my local USFS office and make my thoughts known as well as look for public comment forums opened by the USFS. I will not have a tantrum if they are allowed. I’ll just get away from the no longer closed to motorized areas. And should those e-bikers take their motorcycles out of areas they are allowed in I’ll get pics and turn them in.

Last edited:
You don’t think the backcountry isn’t busy enough? You think Teddy Roosevelt had no foresight when these rules and areas were set up and protection put in place? Why make it accessible to all when the purpose it was founded on is the exact opposite.

I can't pretend that Teddy had the ablility to see into the future as a seer.

His intent was to keep the industrialization away from these wild places, not in case people would be allowed to use an EV mo-ped on designated trails.

No, I don't believe the "backcountry" is as busy as you think it is.

Not everyone can afford a $5,000 electic mo-ped...

Me, in pretty good shape standing up pedaling as hard as I can up a hill on my mountain bike….

Brother in law, not in good shape goes zipping by me, barley peddling while smoking a joint and laughing at me…

This made it pretty clear to me the ebikes are not equal to a bicycle, or even close to a bicycle. To argue they are not motorized seems diengenuous.

CorbLand

WKR
when did people become incapable of pedaling a bike without assistance? I’m an avid rider and runner, I appreciate the fact that sweat equity earns you solitude from the slobs that are lazy. When I see someone on a distant trail that got their with hard work, I know I’m in good company. Every millennial wants to punch the “easy button”these days because they deserve it.
The majority of the people I have spoken with regarding ebike use and support are not of the millennial age…

TheGDog

WKR
If you open up non-motorized trails to ebikes... I think that would very quickly turn any areas like that which you potentially might currently enjoy hunting in now.. into a place with far too much traffic and commotion going thru it to be a decent hunting area anymore once they find out they can do a pseudo dirtbike trailride experience thru there on their ebikes.

It's like this one Desert Hills area I goto. It's a crap shoot sometimes because across the road on another ridge over there, are some privates, and every once in awhile, usually in the PM, 2 - 4 dudes will come riding over on Moto DirtBikes to the public side where I'm at... because they enjoy the challenging hillclimb aspect of the spot I'm talking about provides to them.

So while you might be inclined to think "Oh cool! Then I can take my eBike back in there! And save me a buncha hiking!"

Thing is... you ain't gonna be the only one to have that idea.

So I think it could lead to making the area have too much pressure due to the folks just wanting to ride and ride and ride. And they won't be quiet when they ride either. Whenever they pullover to stop to allow their group to all catch-up, they'll no doubt be all amped up and blabbing with each other about the challenges of the section they just went thru. Exactly the kinda blah-blah-blah talking that makes game go "Ah! Humans!!!" and leave the area. And chances are, they'll elect to do this right where you've chosen to setup your sit at.

UpTop

Lil-Rokslider
If it allows horses it damn well should allow ebikes. The argument made earlier that few people own horses, so that’s why they’re ok is laughable. I have zero problem with ebikes. Hell of a lot more quiet than a band of horses clomping down the trail. And no, they’re nowhere near the same thing as a dirt bike. I don’t own an ebike fyi. I just think the sky is falling attitude about them is a joke. The same people complaining about them will readily use all types of other technology to their advantage. Or gladly use horses, mules, alpacas ect to access the backcountry on the same trails with ridiculous amounts of said gear. I fully hope they are allowed in the future.

Two Roads

Lil-Rokslider
Ebikes, sure on motorized trails but as for non-motorized? Once it’s gone, it is gone forever. I am happy w the quads god provided me and the foot prints I have left. And I am likely at the older end of this.
As to horses, speaks volumes about skill set of those who compare them to ebikes. You take a string in 20 miles for a week and will find out the experience is a whole lot more than a spare battery.
Ebikes, dirt bikes, SxS, never seem to be in same image as appreciative of or respectful stewards of a wilderness experience, only whining for more easy access. Bottomless well earned stereotypes.

UpTop

Lil-Rokslider
Ebikes, sure on motorized trails but as for non-motorized? Once it’s gone, it is gone forever. I am happy w the quads god provided me and the foot prints I have left. And I am likely at the older end of this.
As to horses, speaks volumes about skill set of those who compare them to ebikes. You take a string in 20 miles for a week and will find out the experience is a whole lot more than a spare battery.
Ebikes, dirt bikes, SxS, never seem to be in same image as appreciative of or respectful stewards of a wilderness experience, only whining for more easy access. Bottomless well earned stereotypes.
Whether it’s an “experience” or not, it’s still a means of access that’s not hiking isn’t it? Just because you value the “experience” of using a horse doesn’t negate the fact that it’s still a means of transportation that makes things easier for you. I appreciate horses and have used them. I stand by if it allows ANY access other than foot, an ebike should be allowed as well. I certainly don’t put them in the same category as sxs’s and 4wheelers. I routinely hike in and up to the highest peaks I can find every year. So I’m hardly worried about someone thinking I’m lazy because I support the idea of using ebikes.

Last edited:
The majority of the people I have spoken with regarding ebike use and support are not of the millennial age…
At the risk of going off topic for a second…
I find it laughable when baby boomers call millennials “entitled”. Really? You were gifted the best economy this nation has ever seen, high wages and low cost of living, pensions etc etc… then pissed it away. Now you want to call the kids who will suffer as a result of your greed and short sightedness “entitled”. Keep soaking up that social security and Medicare. As a gen X’er I’m starting to understand why they say “Okay boomer”. 😜

Last edited:
As I’ve said before, I’m against allowing these motorized vehicles onto non-motorized trails. I’m also going to contact the USFS today.

However, I’m not all that worried. Most of the people pushing for this will be the same kind of folks that use their UTV “to get to the trailhead”. You know, the guys who drive around all day. The ones who wish like hell that their seats had built in toilets, I mean, the injustice of having to stand up to pee! They’ll not be much different and those bikes will not legally get them into very rugged country. Just be on the lookout for them and document/report when they break the rules.

This view does not make me a Luddite. I have an 800 cc on/off road motorcycle and I take it into some pretty wild areas. I also keep it strictly where it belongs because it has a motor. If an area is closed to motorized traffic and I want to go I’ll use human power. I’ll not cry because I’m too lazy. I’ll not mess up the area.

Last edited:

tdhanses

WKR
If it allows horses it damn well should allow ebikes. The argument made earlier that few people own horses, so that’s why they’re ok is laughable. I have zero problem with ebikes. Hell of a lot more quiet than a band of horses clomping down the trail. And no, they’re nowhere near the same thing as a dirt bike. I don’t own an ebike fyi. I just think the sky is falling attitude about them is a joke. The same people complaining about them will readily use all types of other technology to their advantage. Or gladly use horses, mules, alpacas ect to access the backcountry on the same trails with ridiculous amounts of said gear. I fully hope they are allowed in the future.
Horses do a hell of a lot more damage to the land/trails then an ebike ever will, it isn’t like these things have a 2cycle gas motor. To me I don’t see the issue and doubt we all of a sudden see millions more outdoors because of it.

So I have to agree, if horses and bikes are allowed I see no issue allowing an ebike, it would be much different if they have a combustion motor.

ColoradoV

WKR
My 10 year old and her friend took quite a ride here yesterday. 17 miles easy easy… We have 4 ebike rental shops opening in the valley this year no as easier way to get the weak, old, out of shape tourists into the hills and they are not as scary as a dirt bike.

A few friends and I pry do more w motors (including electric) than most = it will be interesting to see the impacts. I would figure it will not be long and the hunter segment will be a below 5% of total users. According to blm counts rentals in this valley are supposed to be over 50% of total users soon.

Super fun to ride was able to get on the ktm e-Xc and yea soon you will see them on every trail all the time as they are that fun! The limit of 1000 w is a flat joke and fs does not even know what it is, how to enforce it, or have the people to enforce it even if they wanted to… Or no worries take any one of them on every trail a mountain bike can go. That is how literally everyone I know uses them and I am the only hunter in that group…

This is a train you will either get on or be left behind…

stevevan

WKR
Horses do a hell of a lot more damage to the land/trails then an ebike ever will, it isn’t like these things have a 2cycle gas motor. To me I don’t see the issue and doubt we all of a sudden see millions more outdoors because of it.

So I have to agree, if horses and bikes are allowed I see no issue allowing an ebike, it would be much different if they have a combustion motor.
Lot of N.I.M.B.Y.'s ( not in my back yard) on this thread. I don't use them, or like them so nobody should be able to use them. Just emotional responses. No real proof of more resource damage caused by ebikes than other forms of hooved transportation. Too, I think some responders are a bit confused between "designated wilderness" and general National Forest trail systems.