Got bit

If you give your dog something it is best to leave it with him rather than play games...I owned/trained dogs that could put someone in the hospital if they played stupid games with them.....very alpha dogs are very good for protection/police/military roles but they can be dangerous if not handled correctly.
Accidentally liked this instead of reply... this is not great advice for a bird dog.

Force fetch will go a long way in telling you if you have a problem. If he drew blood on you over a bone you have some work to do - especially with kids around.

*zap*

WKR
Just because a dog is protective of food/chews does not mean that dog will not give up a bird or toy. Kids are another consideration altogether and a force retrieve will not help with that very much if at all. Seems the op like the dog as a protective dog also which complicates the situation.

Brooks

WKR
I had a Rottweiler puppy that was 3 months old, he was fast asleep one day and I went to pick him up and he started growling and trying to bite me. I grabbed him by his collar, dragged him out to the back room where he slept at night all the time in a loud voice yelling at him. I dragged him to his dog bed and stood over him, pointing at him and repeating BAD, loud.

He was scared !! The next day I waited until he went to sleep and went over and picked him up, he opened up his eyes and just looked at me. Never ever growled at me or tried to bite me again over the next 12 1/2 years he was alive. Great dog. I have a male black lab right now that has never got stupid….he could train me.

OP
Badland

Badland

FNG
Yes, dog has no issues retrieving and giving up birds. I have a local guy who breeds and trains GWPs, he’s going to help me out with this behavior. I’m not as worried as I was last night, I do appreciate all the feedback though guys. He’s a great dog, just needs some extra work.

My labs are just too easy!

*zap*

WKR
Until you get it resolved maybe feed the dog and give him his chews in his kennel/box or feed outside in fenced area...put food out and then let him out.
Just remove all potential conflict over food/chews until you get help fixing it. A dog should have a kennel box in the house anyway...

OP
Badland

Badland

FNG
Yep having chews around is not the norm anyway so we are removing them. Especially with company coming over for holidays. He really is gentle with company in general. Just is odd, I’ve seen kids come over and take toys from him with no issues but then this happens. Of course no risks will be taken, all toys chews removed for now.

*zap*

WKR
If he is younger it could be just his age showing with wanting to assert himself more. How old?

OP
Badland

Badland

FNG
He is 2 is February. Definitely could be age. My lab is a trait for trait amazing dog and I think my wire gets jealous of the attention he gets. Not like the attention is way off balance but the wire is a jealous dog.

Always had dogs...was bit once. Beat the crap outta that dog immediately...in front of all the others. Never happened again. If it had that dog would have become an outdoor dog cuz I have zero tolerance where my kids safety is concerned. Most people will not agree with my position and actions but then, my generation was raised being beaten as kids and we are more civil than the subsequent generations IMO. You must be the Alpha...wolves are the same way.

*zap*

WKR
He is 2 is February. Definitely could be age.
He is feeling his oats. I would have guessed 20-30 months. You could start with daily obediance training. Strict but at the dogs level of understanding. I would watch him with the holiday guests. If you want to talk pm me. Happy to help if I can.

OP
Badland

Badland

FNG
Haha! She’s not available but I’ll let you know when the vacancy opens!

Cwsharer

FNG
Make him eat out of your hand for a month and whip him senseless if he acts aggressive

OP
Badland

Badland

FNG
To reiterate he is NOT food aggressive at all. I can take and give his food and always have been able to.

Fix the situation before it gets to be habit. There are other punishments besides being physical
Have you seen how dogs interact with other dogs? Its physical. I don’t believe in abusing them, but I have pinned mine down aggressively when needed and it usually fixes the problem.

KsRancher

WKR
Always had dogs...was bit once. Beat the crap outta that dog immediately...in front of all the others. Never happened again. If it had that dog would have become an outdoor dog cuz I have zero tolerance where my kids safety is concerned. Most people will not agree with my position and actions but then, my generation was raised being beaten as kids and we are more civil than the subsequent generations IMO. You must be the Alpha...wolves are the same way.
^this. Best post in all aspects

jmez

WKR
Be a little careful "beating" a dog that bites. May start a fight you won't win.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

Really good e collar training goes a long way. My Pudelpointer was aggressive with my wife when she would walk her alone on a leash when she was 5 or 6 months old trying to grab her arm etc. She got a little better about it but she still couldn’t deal with her very well by herself. Around this time we sent her to a gundog trainer for a couple months who Specializes in e collar training for force fetch, whoa, etc... I went and trained with the dog occasionally to learn what she learned and how to train with the e collar.
5 years later she’s never shown any signs of aggression or tried to be dominant with anyone with or without her collar on. You can take anything right out of her mouth, food whatever. The nice thing about this training is she doesn’t flinch if you raise your arm because she thinks she’s getting beaten, and isn’t afraid of anything or anyone but always knows her place among people. Another bonus is that the training is easily applied to any situation that needs correction like getting on the kitchen counter or barking.

MattB

WKR
To the OP: One other observation… it looks like you let that dog on your bed.

Anything you allow that makes the dog think he’s got a similar status as you guys do is going to contribute to the problem.
We’ve had 6 dogs and all have been let on our bed. I had one growl at me once (old male GSP) which was quickly corrected and never happened again. I think you are off base there.