Grim Reaper Mechanicals

EdP

WKR
I started shooting a crossbow to extend my season/opportunities last deer season so I am a novice archery hunter. At the recommendation of the archery guy at my local sporting goods store I used Grim Reaper 3 blade mechanical broadheads, 1 1/2" blades, 100 gr. 3 shots were taken from about 40 yds and 3 deer killed. All shots resulted in a complete pass thru. The Grim Reapers were accurate and deadly. My concern is that none of the deer left a blood trail. All the shots were heart/lung area and there was blood at the recovery site 50 - 70 yds away, but no trail at all to track. Is this typical of crossbow kills, a Grim Reaper issue, something else? Is another broadhead design more likely to result in a blood trail?

WoodBow

WKR
It just happens some times. If you got a pass through with a 3 blade mechanical, that's best case scenario. I believe grim reaper are a front deploying head. Meaning they don't open until through the skin usually. So that means a very small entry hole. That can certainly limit blood on the ground. You might try a rear deploying head or a small fixed blade. Even small heads like slick tricks and iron wills can leave great blood trails.

MattB

WKR
Blood trails vary considerably and are mostly based on the specific structures hit. There is a loose correlation between the cutting diameter and blade # and blood trail, so if anything you might look at a wider cut Grim Reaper. I certainly wouldn't go smaller cutting diameter/fewer blades or fixed hoping for more blood on the ground.

Another thing that can affect the quality of the blood trail is animal reaction. My opinion is that openers do tend to cause more reaction than a more efficient design, so the animals often run harder which can make the blood trail more sparse.

Were the shots from a blind or ground level?

Cavity will need to fill before it really starts to pump blood out.

Most of the great blood trail photos are from a treestand or other high entry, low exit shot.
This is usually the answer right here.

OP I will say we've seen a similar trend when we started using crossbows last year, not much blood then nearing the body looks like a murder scene with blood everywhere. That's with all sorts of mechanical heads but lots of rage two blade as well as at least one kill with your exact broadheads. Those little arrows zip through so damn fast it seems like it takes a second to start bleeding or something. I wouldn't worry about the broadheads doing their job though, I've been a fan of reapers for a long time whether compound or funny sideways compound. I do have a buddy that swears Rage gives him great blood trails but deer travel further and Reapers less blood trails but shorter track, he's been saying that for years.

OP
E

EdP

WKR
Good info there. Thanks folks. Yes, all 3 shots were from a ground blind. Given the results I have not been concerned about the shots being fatal, but rather the issue of recovery with the thick brush and lack of a blood trail. Sounds like I just need to keep on keeping on.

I had this problem with grim reapers. I also thought the blood trails were underwhelming bc of the small entrance holes from their front deploying style. I am color blind and hunt thick brush from the ground spot n stalk. Found when I switched to a rear deploying swept back head like killzones or trypan or sevr I got much better blood trails because the rear deploying entrance hole was so devastating. If you are underwhelmed I would switch before it costs you