Ground blinds

Tradchef

WKR
Hey everyone,
So like a dumbass years ago I sold my double bull darkhorse blind. Now I totally regret it but I was curious what y’all were using these days that gave you ample clearance drawing and shooting. I shoot 64 and 66” longbows all of the time for hunting so I’m sure it’s going to be a limited few. At any rate would love to hear some suggestions on what you all are using

Scott

I'm no help as I have a dark horse and an old origional recurve model. I've had a couple of other blinds over the years but none of them were worth a crap for trad bows.

I just keep sewing repairs into these two to keep them going.

Reactions: mjh

Blackcow

WKR
I have a baronette big Mike that works just fine. At 6’5” I still have to sit with 64” recurves, but the peak is 80”. I don’t like it as much as my original double bulls, but I have to sit about in the middle and back, and cant way more than I like to, and I still hit a limbs sometimes in the dbl bull. Don’t use any of them much anymore.

I have a baronette big Mike that works just fine. At 6’5” I still have to sit with 64” recurves, but the peak is 80”. I don’t like it as much as my original double bulls, but I have to sit about in the middle and back, and cant way more than I like to, and I still hit a limbs sometimes in the dbl bull. Don’t use any of them much anymore.
I second the big mike, I have it also. It's not top of the food chain for build quality, but it's very serviceable, and not too heavy. I shoot my 68" longbow out of it no problem.

Beendare

WKR
Same here…the tall Barronet‘s are the way to go.

I tried a buddies setup with one of the cheap Sportsman warehouse blinds ….and was very limited on the shots I could take.

GMC

Lil-Rokslider
I'm short, 5' 7", and I use a double bull double wide. I think that's what it's called anyway. I use up to a 64" recurve without issue. Chair height is key to me. Just high enough to be over the front 180* window but low enough to keep the upper limb off the roof. The front window is adjustable for height both top and bottom.

I know it's a compound rather than a trad bow, but here is my hopeless excuse for a 'ground blind' I made a few weeks back. It's 25m from a spot that's been used as a fallow buck scrape the last couple of years. hoping I can sit still long enough to kill one in April - with either my compound or a trad bow, or both!

OP
Tradchef

Tradchef

WKR
I love natural blinds too. That’s what I do most of the time. I’d just like to have my lady with me for lopes and turkeys so this would be a good option when she goes. I’m pretty short too. 5’7 and a 27” draw so just need something I can’t draw the bow back comfortably

I'm the same height ad draw about the same with trad bows. I dunno if my wife would want to sit in a blind all day as she hunts with a rifle a lot and is quite happy walking around. We both get restless when sitting for too long. I'll have to stick to my guns in this blind and remind myself it's a good spot as that's going to be my best chance at a deer with a trad bow.

Sam Colt

Lil-Rokslider
Look at the Rusk Two-Tall. 84" and wide. You'll still likely have to sit, but won't be as distracted by the height.

Do people really shoot through the mesh? Sounds like a bad idea to me.
Yup. No factor. Sharp broadheads go through it like absolutely nothing is there. Possible a poorly tuned setup could be deflected, but I've had no problems in practice or for the turkey I killed last spring.

pirogue

WKR
It’s too bad that the selection for bow blinds has dwindled. What was wrong with vertical oriented windows, and/or larger blinds?

It’s too bad that the selection for bow blinds has dwindled. What was wrong with vertical oriented windows, and/or larger blinds?
Market is what it is, I guess. Baronett Big Mike is a good option that's got plenty of vertical and horizontal room as well as vertically oriented windows with zippered openings you can use to tailor whether the opening is low or high depending on whether you're on flat ground or shooting uphill/downhill.

Iowa84

FNG
Just bought a barronett 0x4 and I'm impressed for the price. It's no dark horse I have one original left...I've had two stolen. But it's a close runner up.