Guided Sheep Hunt - packing list and weight critique

schmalzy

WKR
Open to ideas, suggestions and critiques. Going on a guided trip to the Wrangells this August. Backpack trip. I know a few of the items on there may not always be carried when going on guided trips. For reference I’m 34, 5’11 175 and pretty solid shape.

Going to bring tripod and spotter, so those aren’t on the chopping block. Same thing with stove. Don’t want to be stuck in a tent for a few days and have to go back and forth to my guide to ask him to heat up water for me.

Items that I’m considering leaving: Kenai jacket (I love it but I’ll have my down puffy so it seems redundant), tarp (if guide has one I’ll leave mine), either the crocs or the wiggies, range finder, and flashlight. Could shave about 3 pounds which would be pretty significant.

I know I still have a few items to fill in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I find it absolutely astonishing that Alaskan outfitters nowadays do not provide tents, sleeping pads, stoves, fuel, food, beverages, and cooking/eating utensils (kitchen supplies). That's just incomprehensible.

OP
schmalzy

schmalzy

WKR
I find it absolutely astonishing that Alaskan outfitters nowadays do not provide tents, sleeping pads, stoves, fuel, food, beverages, and cooking/eating utensils (kitchen supplies). That's just incomprehensible.

Who said they didn’t?

With that being said they aren’t providing tent or or pad, those are on me. Everything else they would provide but I’m comfortable with and used to my gear. Figured why leave it up to someone else, one less variable to contend with.

Srp

FNG
Looks like you have some great gear. If money were no object, I would consider going with a synthetic sleeping bag, and a synthetic puffy. If down gets wet, it is next to worthless. Kifaru makes great bags. The Kifaru Lost Park Parka is my single favorite piece of gear - I don't leave home without it. Maybe ask your outfitter if you need that much tent. I wish I was going with you - good luck!

Who said they didn’t?

With that being said they aren’t providing tent or or pad, those are on me. Everything else they would provide but I’m comfortable with and used to my gear. Figured why leave it up to someone else, one less variable to contend with.

I provide high-end, lightweight gear for my hunters and a wide variety of foods/beverages to choose from, plus fuel. It's easier to keep things manageable that way and keeps weight to a minimum. Again, I find it incredulous that nowadays, other Alaskan outfitters don't take on that responsibility and leave all those unnecessary costs to the client. Mind boggling .....

OP
schmalzy

schmalzy

WKR
I provide high-end, lightweight gear for my hunters and a wide variety of foods/beverages to choose from, plus fuel. It's easier to keep things manageable that way and keeps weight to a minimum. Again, I find it incredulous that nowadays, other Alaskan outfitters don't take on that responsibility and leave all those unnecessary costs to the client. Mind boggling .....

Outfitter provides food, beverage and fuel etc, I’m just bringing my own food to keep me happy.

Tell me more about your operation, pricing and availability!

OP
schmalzy

schmalzy

WKR
Looks like you have some great gear. If money were no object, I would consider going with a synthetic sleeping bag, and a synthetic puffy. If down gets wet, it is next to worthless. Kifaru makes great bags. The Kifaru Lost Park Parka is my single favorite piece of gear - I don't leave home without it. Maybe ask your outfitter if you need that much tent. I wish I was going with you - good luck!

Thanks for the comments, much appreciated.

I’ve thought about the LPP but I get feedback that it’s either so warm or cold AF. I don’t think I want to go synthetic on bath bag and puffy but would consider the puffy.

I think I could get away with less tent based off feedback from everyone on here, but got a solid deal on it and certainly don’t mind the durability.

thomas67

FNG
When I went the guide had a spotting scope and range finder. I wouldn't skimp on sleeping bag, tarps, or rain gear. If you get wet, you'll be cold and miserable. I would also toss in some plastic trash bags to keep other things dry. Headlamp should suffice for a flashlight.

You didn’t specify if you are camping right at the landing strip and day hunting from there or backpacking out. That would help determine what you bring. And if camping at the strip, what is the weight limit for the plane ride? What area and time of year?

Fulton

FNG
Do you need a cover with that pack? I thought it was basically waterproof.

OP
schmalzy

schmalzy

WKR
You didn’t specify if you are camping right at the landing strip and day hunting from there or backpacking out. That would help determine what you bring. And if camping at the strip, what is the weight limit for the plane ride? What area and time of year?

Thanks for heads up, Edited original post to add that it is backpack trip.

Trip is in August in the Wrangells.

I’ve only been to the Wrangell mountains once so keep my limited experience in mind. It was in August for Sheep (no guide) and we filled two tags.

I’d ditch the pack rain cover.

A 12 ounce pillow seems pretty heavy. My S2S weighs about 2 ounces.

The tarp is probably not needed, your guide will probably have one anyway.

The tent is pretty heavy, I’d look for a double wall 3 season in the 2 lbs range.

A 15° bag is probably more than necessary. I’d bring a 30° bag, I also sleep warm.

Almost 1/4 pound for a coffee cup? I’d drink out of your pot or find something lighter.

The water container weight could be cut by quite a bit. A Smart Water bottle is way lighter than Nalgene.

I’d ask your guide about water crossing. If there won’t be much, Crocs are heavy.

Your FAK looks pretty heavy, especially on a guided hunt. I’d trim it down a bunch and make sure to keep stuff that is specific to you (Meds etc).

What game bags do you have? Is your guide carrying some?

OP
schmalzy

schmalzy

WKR
I’ve only been to the Wrangell mountains once so keep my limited experience in mind. It was in August for Sheep (no guide) and we filled two tags.

I’d ditch the pack rain cover.

A 12 ounce pillow seems pretty heavy. My S2S weighs about 2 ounces.

The tarp is probably not needed, your guide will probably have one anyway.

The tent is pretty heavy, I’d look for a double wall 3 season in the 2 lbs range.

A 15° bag is probably more than necessary. I’d bring a 30° bag, I also sleep warm.

Almost 1/4 pound for a coffee cup? I’d drink out of your pot or find something lighter.

The water container weight could be cut by quite a bit. A Smart Water bottle is way lighter than Nalgene.

I’d ask your guide about water crossing. If there won’t be much, Crocs are heavy.

Your FAK looks pretty heavy, especially on a guided hunt. I’d trim it down a bunch and make sure to keep stuff that is specific to you (Meds etc).

What game bags do you have? Is your guide carrying some?

I’d ditch the pack rain cover. - noted. Will
Most likely do this. Easy 4oz savings.

A 12 ounce pillow seems pretty heavy. My S2S weighs about 2 ounces. - it’s an old Thermarest foam pillow. I’ll check out the s2s. Does it seem “balloon” like to you?

The tarp is probably not needed, your guide will probably have one anyway. - agreed, I think it’s marked 0 quantity on list.

The tent is pretty heavy, I’d look for a double wall 3 season in the 2 lbs range. - it’s a 4 season with the footprint. One of the guides For the outfit has been super cool and conversing a lot with me and recommended. Think I’ll stick with it for now.

A 15° bag is probably more than necessary. I’d bring a 30° bag, I also sleep warm. - I sleep what I’d say is neutral. It’s a quilt so temp regulation a little easier.

Almost 1/4 pound for a coffee cup? I’d drink out of your pot or find something lighter. - noted. I hate hot lips but maybe I just need to get over it.

The water container weight could be cut by quite a bit. A Smart Water bottle is way lighter than Nalgene. - need to update with hdpe Nalgene. I may consider the smart water option.

I’d ask your guide about water crossing. If there won’t be much, Crocs are heavy. - agreed. I was looking at it more of a camp/luxury item. But these and wiggys redundant.

Your FAK looks pretty heavy, especially on a guided hunt. I’d trim it down a bunch and make sure to keep stuff that is specific to you (Meds etc). - I don’t disagree. I have a tourniquet in there that’s probably overkill.

What game bags do you have? Is your guide carrying some? - argali. Outfitter suggested bringing my own so meat transportation and packaging easier at end of hunt and make things smoother.

Awesome points and questions, I appreciate it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk in

I’d ditch the pack rain cover. - noted. Will
Most likely do this. Easy 4oz savings.

A 12 ounce pillow seems pretty heavy. My S2S weighs about 2 ounces. - it’s an old Thermarest foam pillow. I’ll check out the s2s. Does it seem “balloon” like to you?

The tarp is probably not needed, your guide will probably have one anyway. - agreed, I think it’s marked 0 quantity on list.

The tent is pretty heavy, I’d look for a double wall 3 season in the 2 lbs range. - it’s a 4 season with the footprint. One of the guides For the outfit has been super cool and conversing a lot with me and recommended. Think I’ll stick with it for now.

A 15° bag is probably more than necessary. I’d bring a 30° bag, I also sleep warm. - I sleep what I’d say is neutral. It’s a quilt so temp regulation a little easier.

Almost 1/4 pound for a coffee cup? I’d drink out of your pot or find something lighter. - noted. I hate hot lips but maybe I just need to get over it.

The water container weight could be cut by quite a bit. A Smart Water bottle is way lighter than Nalgene. - need to update with hdpe Nalgene. I may consider the smart water option.

I’d ask your guide about water crossing. If there won’t be much, Crocs are heavy. - agreed. I was looking at it more of a camp/luxury item. But these and wiggys redundant.

Your FAK looks pretty heavy, especially on a guided hunt. I’d trim it down a bunch and make sure to keep stuff that is specific to you (Meds etc). - I don’t disagree. I have a tourniquet in there that’s probably overkill.

What game bags do you have? Is your guide carrying some? - argali. Outfitter suggested bringing my own so meat transportation and packaging easier at end of hunt and make things smoother.

Awesome points and questions, I appreciate it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk in
it’s an old Thermarest foam pillow. I’ll check out the s2s. Does it seem “balloon” like to you?

Not to me… especially at 10 ounces lighter.

I sleep what I’d say is neutral. It’s a quilt so temp regulation a little easier.

An advantage you have, your 15° down weighs close to my 30° synthetic bag. I’m allergic to down. We’d be carrying the same weight.

noted. I hate hot lips but maybe I just need to get over it.

You could cut the bottom 1/4 off of your nalgene. That’s what my kids cocoa cup is and it weighs closer to an ounce.

argali. Outfitter suggested bringing my own so meat transportation and packaging easier at end of hunt and make things smoother.

That makes sense… sneak them into your guides pack when he’s not looking 😬

Arctic_Beaver

Lil-Rokslider
Nice job on creating this list with weights! Here's my thoughts, it looks good overall though.

I would ditch the Kenai insulated jacket. If you need to block the wind use your rain jacket. Or if you need a little more warmth when hiking over your lighter layers, use the rain jacket and open the pit zips.

I would add something else to carry water in addition to your 3L bladder, like the smaller collapsible 1-2L Platypus bladders . That way you can stock up if you need. I bring a smaller collapsible 500ml bladder that I use for electrolyte drink mixes instead of a nalgene. Like this: https://www.rei.com/product/187793/hydrapak-500-ml-stow-bottle-17-fl-oz

You could add some leukotape for blister prevention. You would know if that's necessary or not. I try to toughen my feet up before hunting season but its still good to have some, you can even wrap it around a bic lighter for your stove.

Ditch the flashlight and stick with the headlamp, and maybe a set of spare batteries. You might want to add a bug net or small bottle of deet (ask the guide), some face balm/sunscreen, some Zeiss wipes/lens pen to clean optics, maybe one oiled wipe for your rifle to use halfway through the hunt.

For a 10 day hunt you should be able to get by with the smaller 4oz fuel canister if you're just using it for yourself for morning/evenings.

OP
schmalzy

schmalzy

WKR
Another idea to help with the bugs is to spray your clothes/hat with permethrin before you go. That doesn't cost any weight penalty!

I have bought a bottle of permethrin for that exact reason.

Excellent points on your previous posts as well. I am planning on bringing a bug net, need to add that to list.

Sadly I will leave the Kenai.

Thanks again to all for the feedback. Shedding some solid weight.

Another idea to help with the bugs is to spray your clothes/hat with permethrin before you go. That doesn't cost any weight penalty!
Bugs. Alaska. Yup, be prepared for them. I don’t remember if you had a headnet listed. S2S makes a good one that’s pretty cheap and 1 ounce.