Gun bearer recommendation

Wags

WKR
I recently purchased a new backpack and wanted to add a gunbearer to it & I cant decide which route I'd like to go. I know a lot of you have more experience than I do toting a rifle with a pack. For those of you who use one can you let me know which one you choose and one's to avoid.

Thanks.

JohnnyB

WKR
My only experience is with the Kifaru Gun Bearer. It takes a little adjustment both with placement and adjusting to having the barrel in your field of vision.

The bonus is you can slip your bow in it during archery season and it works like it was designed for it.

Haven’t used a sling in years.

I use the Kifaru gunbearer on my SO and am pretty happy with it (see profile pic). Ideally for an SO you want the Kifaru specific for the bottom and their universal for the top piece. If you call them, they might be willing to sell it to you that way.

OP
Wags

Wags

WKR
I use the Kifaru gunbearer on my SO and am pretty happy with it (see profile pic). Ideally for an SO you want the Kifaru specific for the bottom and their universal for the top piece. If you call them, they might be willing to sell it to you that way.

Thanks, I've got a SG & MR pack, I'll call them and see if they can configure one for me. I appreciate it.

may not be considered a gun bearer but i purchased a Frankenstud Sling Keeper a few years ago and has worked great for me so far. I run it on a exo 3500 and sling holds firmly on the stud & put the bottom portion of my sling behind hip pouch on pack belt and it stays put. Can still draw & shoulder rifle very quickly if needed. No experience with any other gun bearers so cant really compare it to anything

ChrisAU

WKR
I'm a big proponent of a franken-setup - I use the Kuiu lower and Kifaru upper. The Kuiu lower attaches to your pack belt on the sides instead of just in the center, for me this drastically cut down on the rifle twisting while on the move. The Kifaru pack specific upper also fits on a Kuiu pack just fine, and would work with any pack with some time of 3 bar slider on the shoulder straps. No need for the universal one with straps going everywhere.

8AOMb4l.jpeg

TheGDog

WKR
If you have any lower back issues... just know that you might find the way the gun-bearer puts a torque on your hipbelt *may* feel uncomfortable to your area of injury. I went back to using Quake Claw slings and overall I don't miss the gun-bearer really. BUT... I'm also not doing hikes at a pace that would require two trekking poles. either.

OP
Wags

Wags

WKR
If you have any lower back issues... just know that you might find the way the gun-bearer puts a torque on your hipbelt *may* feel uncomfortable to your area of injury. I went back to using Quake Claw slings and overall I don't miss the gun-bearer really. BUT... I'm also not doing hikes at a pace that would require two trekking poles. either.

This is where I see the gun bearer being needed. Most of the walking I'll be doing it wouldn't be an issue. However when it's time to get up hill I like having both poles to going up and down so having something that secures my rifle would be a huge help in those situations.

i love the kifaru, i have a couple... zero issues, wouldn't change anything on them. my rifles ride better upside down in the gun bearer, fyi

I'm a big proponent of a franken-setup - I use the Kuiu lower and Kifaru upper. The Kuiu lower attaches to your pack belt on the sides instead of just in the center, for me this drastically cut down on the rifle twisting while on the move. The Kifaru pack specific upper also fits on a Kuiu pack just fine, and would work with any pack with some time of 3 bar slider on the shoulder straps. No need for the universal one with straps going everywhere.

Interesting. It may be very specific by pack. I have the gunbearer for a Kifaru pack (since that's what I had when I bought it). The Kifura bottom attaches to my Seek Outside belt exactly as it does to a Kifaru belt (and the same way my SO pocket attach to the belt). I'm using the Kifaru specific top peice on my SO pack - but it pulled out of the slider that is also the sternum strap attachment, so I basically just have it gorilla taped on now. It works fine but is a little getto. I'll get a 3 bar slider and see if that solves my issue for the top piece.