Gunsmith Debacle- what would you do?

Wrench

WKR
The other issue you might run into is the rear base is not the same in the mag and standard action....hole space is closer on the mag....if you have bases already, you'll want to address this.

This is the worst part about building rifles. You’ve got to find a good gunsmith that either isn’t over priced, really slow and that knows what they’re doing. I had a well known smith here in town build me a 28 Nosler and when I got the rifle back, the rifle wouldn’t even load rounds into the magazine. He failed to widen the feed rails enough to provide for the fatter case, not to mention the other items he didn’t follow instructions on that would take too long to type out. Not saying the all are bad, but I hate dealing with gun smiths.

gbflyer

WKR
The other issue you might run into is the rear base is not the same in the mag and standard action....hole space is closer on the mag....if you have bases already, you'll want to address this.

I think that’s just on the H&H length as the rear bridge is machined further aft for a larger ejection port leaving less meat for the rear base and closer hole spacing. I believe the standard and “short magnum” are alike. But I could be wrong.

Wrench

WKR
I think that’s just on the H&H length as the rear bridge is machined further aft for a larger ejection port leaving less meat for the rear base and closer hole spacing. I believe the standard and “short magnum” are alike. But I could be wrong.
You are correct. If it's a standard magnum, I'm not sure where the problem is with opening it up.

OP
CApighunter
Well it’s on the way back, they discounted it some and reblued the bolt which looked terrible the first go round. I was assured they tore it apart and verified proper function. It’s not quite right in my eyes but I’m just ready to have it back. Now I know who not to use in the future. If there’s any issue I’ll be sending it to another smith and they can foot the bill. I had APR do a full build last year and they built a lights out shooter in less than 4 weeks for less cost, they’ll get my business again next time.

SDHNTR

WKR
Well it’s on the way back, they discounted it some and reblued the bolt which looked terrible the first go round. I was assured they tore it apart and verified proper function. It’s not quite right in my eyes but I’m just ready to have it back. Now I know who not to use in the future. If there’s any issue I’ll be sending it to another smith and they can foot the bill. I had APR do a full build last year and they built a lights out shooter in less than 4 weeks for less cost, they’ll get my business again next time.
Hope it works out, but yes, Alamo does great work!

gbflyer

WKR
Lee Christianson in Baldwin, WI is also reputed to be a top shelf Model 70 plumber. I’ve spoken with him about parts when I was converting a LH short mag classic into a H&H. very very helpful and accommodating even though it never turned into a sale. Yet. Never seen his work, never hear any bad.

OP
CApighunter
Lee Christianson in Baldwin, WI is also reputed to be a top shelf Model 70 plumber. I’ve spoken with him about parts when I was converting a LH short mag classic into a H&H. very very helpful and accommodating even though it never turned into a sale. Yet. Never seen his work, never hear any bad.
I talked to Lee before beginning this project in June and he said he wouldn’t be able to touch it until October. I should have gone with him from the get go...

OP
CApighunter
Rifle showed up at the gun shop yesterday and the sear isn’t engaging. Should be a simple adjust but it’s irritating when I was expecting a turnkey barreled action. Due to California red tape it’ll be 10 days until I can bring it home and do a proper function test.

KClark

WKR
Rifle showed up at the gun shop yesterday and the sear isn’t engaging. Should be a simple adjust but it’s irritating when I was expecting a turnkey barreled action. Due to California red tape it’ll be 10 days until I can bring it home and do a proper function test.

Oh damn. Since it's a 'new to you' gun you have to go through the paperwork, waiting period and pay the transfer/DROS fees. (n) Did you have to pay sales tax as well?

Sorry for your pain brother, I have been the loser in many transactions with gunsmiths.

OP
CApighunter
Oh damn. Since it's a 'new to you' gun you have to go through the paperwork, waiting period and pay the transfer/DROS fees. (n) Did you have to pay sales tax as well?

Sorry for your pain brother, I have been the loser in many transactions with gunsmiths.

No sales tax, just a $25 dros and 10 day wait. Gun shop was cool about it and didn’t charge any transfer since I’ve dealt with them for years and purchased the original off their used rack.

The Greatest Spectacle in Motorcar Racing
I sent him a “short magnum” and I suspect it to be a standard action that he built off of but he hasn’t confirmed that yet.

It couldn’t be a short magnum and be a pre-64 action. pre-64’s were all same length whether they were short action standard or long action (standard or magnum).
They didn’t make the short magnums until what, 2001 or so?

Dhbwa

WKR
It couldn’t be a short magnum and be a pre-64 action. pre-64’s were all same length whether they were short action standard or long action (standard or magnum).
They didn’t make the short magnums until what, 2001 or so?

They are calling short magnum the 7 Rem mag and such short as compared to a 300 H&H hull...

Shrek

WKR
I’m not a fan of airing a problem in public before you even know if you have a problem. LRI uses CNC machines so it’s not all that difficult to wreck an action trueing it. All you need to do is enter the wrong file and in the wink of an eye it’s ruined. They alerted you and did their best to make it right it appears to me.