HANDGUN OR LONG GUN

jamesjrn

FNG
Just wondering which you guys prefer or, find yourselves shooting the most.
In my younger days, I owned and shot shotguns almost exclusively. I didn't buy a handgun until my 30s, and only then because I loved the 1911.
I didn't buy a rifle, (although I had access to a couple for hunting) until I was close to 40 because I didn't have much interest in them; but the older I get, the more I find myself drawn to rifles of all types.
For the past couple of years, I've barely touched a handgun except an S&W model that I keep on the nightstand. Most of my shooting now involves rifles.

FairWeatherFisher

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve always liked rifles, particularly old bolt action and lever actions. I’ve owned a few semi autos (sks, Ak, AR), but none of them stuck around long. I just find them boring for whatever reason.

Probably the most fun shooting is a 22lr rifle though, imo.
Shooting clays with a shotgun is a close second.

I think hand guns are neat, but I can’t shoot them worth a darn. I’m getting better, but still lucky to keep 5” groups at 12yds.

They are just tools hence why you need one for every use. However since the government seems to want to share everthing you own, you need to have a duplicate for them when they come to pick them up.

Mr.Wizard

FNG
Rifles for sure. Gas and bolt both. Just never really saw the appeal of handguns outside of carry purposes.

Handguns!,

I can do everything I need to do with a handgun!
I can understand some folks needing to use rifles!
A person has to accept their limitations!

xsn10s

WKR
Rifles. But I shot pistols much more and was a PPC state champion and and won the IDPA Western Regional Championships the first time I shot an IDPA match. I've even shot IHMSA using stock defensive revolvers and pistols. However I have always preferred rifles.

Stalker69

WKR
I love shooting just about anything, pistols, rifles, black powder, archery, air rifles , shot guns. But it’s getting a lot more expensive to “ burn powder” and finding reloading components, and finding a place to shoot, any more. I find my self shooting archery and air guns ALOT MORE.

Last edited:

JCMCUBIC

WKR
Out of hunting season, I shoot rifles most every week....how many days a week varies based on my schedule or life. Handguns are a sometimes thing that I'll do when shooting long guns. If I considered total round count, the handguns might be pretty close, possibly more.

atmat

WKR
I’ve always preferred bolt action rifles and shotgun sports. I grew up shooting primarily for hunting purposes, so I didn’t have a ton of experience with handguns or semiauto rifles.

Today, I shoot a lot more. But for whatever reason, handguns and semi-auto rifles just don’t get me going.