handgun

shaun

WKR
I carry a kimber 45 on occasion depends on area I am goin into out here in CA you worry more about the 2 legged critters not so much about the four legged kind

T43

Lil-Rokslider
I always have one. I am currently swapping my G30 for the new G30s. The 10mm will out perform the 45 in some instances but the ammo availability and fact I carry a G21 every day make it my first choice.

Last edited:
the gun that gets the nod the most is my lcp. then probably the 329pd unless the wife has that, then its the 629. if no chance for bears then my hk usp compact unless im feeling fancy and then its the springfield emp.

2ski

WKR
If you get one of the Glock 10mm's, you might consider swapping out the barrel for a Lone wolf? I think. You're not supposed to shoot lead through Glocks, and the bullets I buy are hard cast 230gr bullets from Double Tap.

TJ

WKR
I've never felt the need to pack a handgun, though some think Im nuts.
That said there are no grizz in Oregon.

mtnkid85

WKR
4" Redhawk I converted to 454 Casull shooting 355gr wfn at about 1300fps. I always have it on my hip unless I'm sheep hunting then it stays home.
*LOVE* :eek:

To the OP.
You need to ask your self why your considering purchasing a sidearm. What are you expecting to get from it? Protection from two leg predators? Cats, bears? Are you willing to put in the time money and practice to become profiencent with your sidearm? Would something like bear spray be better suited for you?

These are all very important questions you need to consider. With those answered youll have a better idea of what type of gun to look at or if you even want to be carrying at all.

wyodan

WKR
I carry a Ruger GP 100 in 357 mag. Awesome pistol. I always have a firearm of some sort for all outdoors activities. I carry bear spray too.

bowuntr

WKR
I've never carried a gun in the field... never thought it was necessary... except in brown/grizzly country. Most states prohibit it during archery season. Ed F

luke moffat

Super Moderator
S&W 329PD .44 Mag. Mostly just a woods gun. The scandium frame is very nice and light. Packs nasty punch. I reccomend Hogue Grips for anyone that is considering this pistol. Walnut grips were brutal.

I agree Dan! The 329 bites on both ends even with tamer 44 mag ammo. Decided on Buffalo Bore stuff designed for the 329 and it helped. Also put an X-Frame grip it to hide the metal grip backstrap against the palm of my hand, just as much of an improve from walnut to Hogue standard as Hogue Standard to X-Frame grip...highly recommended.

jmez

WKR
I don't carry a gun. If in Grizzly country I carry bear spray.

Have an assortment of handguns, just never felt the need to carry one.

bbrown

WKR
I don't carry a gun. If in Grizzly country I carry bear spray.

Have an assortment of handguns, just never felt the need to carry one.

One of the other guides I hunt/work with was the same way until he had to put a horse down with a muzzleloader last year several miles back into the wilderness after it fell and broke its leg.