Handy Kitchen Gadgets

These two gadgets have been a godsend for prepping vegetables.
20240127_110308.jpg

The Kitchenaid slicer/shredder attachment has made quick work of everything I've put through it so far (broccoli, carrots, kale, potatoes). The housing says not dishwasher safe, but I've been running it through on the top rack with no problems yet.

I wouldn't have believed there could be much difference in vegetable peelers until I tried a y-peeler, but I'm a believer now. Something about having the blade perpendicular to the handle makes it much more ergonomic and makes it cut better.

Y'all have any favorite kitchen gadgets that the rest of us should know about?

Last edited:

Swamp Fox

WKR
Gouda one, manchego
Thanks, though I felt it was a little cheesy, and low-hanging udders ... Not one of my self-awarded Muenster jokes that goes whey viral, at least in my mind, but I'll take the Wensleydale.

I'm actually trying to cut back my cheese consumption these days. Not sure dairy is to blame, but something is givin' me Laruns.

Clarktar

WKR
I’ve been wanting a wok for a while and finally got one . It’s amazing! The depth of flavor you get with stir fry is fantastic. It makes meat taste so good in any dish you use.
Which one did you get. I have an older one from a big restaurant wholesaler that I don't care for

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Swamp Fox

WKR
Which one did you get. I have an older one from a big restaurant wholesaler that I don't care for

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

@feanor is at wok now, so I'll throw this in to the mix in his absence:

I would listen to this woman:

She recommends an inexpensive flat-bottom carbon-steel wok (14-inches) with two wood handles (see link above).

I've heard her interviewed several times, and she is on this like white on rice ...

PNWGATOR

WKR

Heirloom quality and worth every cent.

They’re available on sale too.

nnmarcher

Lil-Rokslider
+1 for a Peugeot Pepper mill

I also recently got a bench scraper and it’s a handy little tool for scooping diced stuff off the cutting board or cutting dough

03c7237675b7a0ca8985174af187a6d1.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cnelk

WKR
A jaccard meat tenderizer should be in everyone's kitchen

ztc92

Lil-Rokslider
Since we’re talking pepper mills, we recently bought this pair for salt/pepper grinding at the recommendation of food blogger we follow and are extremely happy with them. I used to grind large amounts of salt and pepper for making jerky or steaks and our old crappy pepper mill took forever and led to sore wrists. With these things it’s a piece of cake and much faster. Each twist is a standardized amount, too, so you can save time and measure ingredients based on how many twists.