Handy Kitchen Gadgets

robtattoo

WKR
I also treated myself to a tortilla press this year. You just can't get good corn tortillas around me anywhere so I thought I'd take a shot at making my own.
My god... night & day difference! They're super quick & easy, maybe 5 minutes to crank out a dozen, & so much better than the store bought they might as well be a different food.
I'll never go back.

IDLassie

Lil-Rokslider
I have an old steel hand made wok I bought 40 years ago. It came with 3 implements and I still use it.
It was at a spring sports show and wasn't that much money.
My 4 Ninja products, the air fryer-pressure canner, air grill and their toaster oven and a food processor.
The food processor makes making salsa a snap.

feanor

WKR
Which one did you get. I have an older one from a big restaurant wholesaler that I don't care for

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
I think the consensus is a carbon steel wok is best. That’s what this one is ( from Williams and Sonoma I think). But you can get cheap ones too.

robtattoo

WKR
I hope this link is OK, but if anyone is looking for better than average cook or kitchenware at very good prices, give these folks a try.
I've bought thousands of dollars worth of cooking & butchering equipment from them over the years (no, I don't get commission!)

Clarktar

WKR
I think the consensus is a carbon steel wok is best. That’s what this one is ( from Williams and Sonoma I think). But you can get cheap ones too.
Right on, thanks guys. I bought a Kenmore brand one from Amazon that is 14" flat bottom carbon steel.

Clarktar

WKR
My favorite shredders are the Wonder Shredder set of three. They are old but great!

GSPHUNTER

WKR
While there are several good ones, the best is a good knife sharpener, or stones, if you prefer. I use sharpener for quick sharpening and stone to get real good edge.

LFC911

WKR
I also treated myself to a tortilla press this year. You just can't get good corn tortillas around me anywhere so I thought I'd take a shot at making my own.
My god... night & day difference! They're super quick & easy, maybe 5 minutes to crank out a dozen, & so much better than the store bought they might as well be a different food.
I'll never go back.
Rob, Please PM or post your corn tortilla recipe when you get a chance

WCB

WKR
People are spending $90-$150 on a pepper grinder? WTF We have had a $60 set and grinds our pepper and salt perfectly fine no issues no breaking etc.

A Ninja Express has been pretty handy...have had it for 10+yrs.

TaperPin

WKR
Our kids were shocked that you can buy the cheese grater used at Olive Garden and have it added to the bill - these things are only good at one thing, but it’s a great grater.

B6D30428-146D-4387-93D8-FF403BB92D29.jpeg

BBob

WKR
I also use a similar veggie peeler but it’s a Kuhn Rikon.
A Kuhn Rikon garlic press is it! They work unlike so many of them out there. Expensive but worth it.
Silicone garlic peeler tube thingie.
I use a generic thin carbon steel wok from the Asian market on a 15K BTU burner.
IMG_2526.jpegIMG_2678.jpeg

Last edited:

IDLassie

Lil-Rokslider
Forgot just bought a new frying pan from "Made It" carbon steel. It's taken a little bit of time to get it broken in and use to using it. Cooks just like cast iron but lighter. It does heat faster so learning to turn the heat down.
Check them out pricey but I'm liking it.