Has it ever been this bad?

My 223 pile is pretty stacked. A hundred or two more pieces of brass would be okay. But I got lucky and scored an 8lber of xbr locally a while ago, and bought enough tmk to last a while. 223 hasn’t been so bad for me to get stuff for. 6.5 hunting bullets.... Iv seen some Berger 135s in stock but need to get out and make sure my gun will shoot them before I buy in bulk.

Good luck with the tikka, I enjoy my 223. Thing is dirt cheap to load for

Got an email today from the seller saying “jk man, we actually don’t have a 223 in stock. here’s your $ back”

Can’t even buy a plane Jane tikka 223 these days..

Quin

FNG
I’m pretty blown away with the lack of bullets for sale, literally every projectile I want to load for my new 300 win is sold out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yep, one of the things I've noticed as well. Locally component bullets are more or less sold out except for uncommon stuff like .303. They are getting restocks of powder and primer (granted it sells out quickly) but they aren't getting restocks of bullets (or loaded ammo). Some stores seem to be giving up on loaded ammo and reloading as they are converting the empty shelf space to other things which I find a bit worrisome.

This shortage is far worse in some ways than previous ones. I mean when was the last time you saw .30-30 and .30-06 sold out??

MtnW

Lil-Rokslider
I’m pretty blown away with the lack of bullets for sale, literally every projectile I want to load for my new 300 win is sold out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The .300 Mags I shoot all do really well with 200 Grain Nosler Partitions .The loads I like are around 2900fps. I use them with great results for white tails and elk. There is usually availability on the 200 Grain Partition , 165 Grain Accubond, and the lower bc 180 Grain Nosler protected point. It’s real hard now finding the desired components for all of us but especially for buyers of new rifles that have not reloaded for that caliber before .

sndmn11

WKR
People are acting insane. You have grown men buying ammunition for guns they don't even have money they don't even have.
I watched two dumbass boomers load their cart at sportsmans last weekend with 6.8spc and .224 valkyrie talking about how all their friends were idiots saying .223 and 6.5cm were out of stock. It took me getting an employee, and the employee taking them to the in store shopping computer, to convince them that what they had in their carts was not what their rifles would safely eat.

KineKilla

WKR
I expected a run on .223, .22lr, 7.62 and other calibers often used in "assault rifles" but still have not figured out the madness surrounding the .338, .308. etc. I cannot imagine anyone shooting 180gr + loads in quantities that would justify holding 1,000+ of each projectile.

Sent from my SM-N976U using Tapatalk

452b264

Lil-Rokslider
I was in the sportsmans warehouse the other day and a guy is buying a ruger 556, and they let him buy a case (1000) rounds with his rifle. The guy behind me thru a fit. They have ammo they just are not putting it out on the shelf, so when someone buys a gun they have ammo for them.

Djacker

WKR
I was in the sportsmans warehouse the other day and a guy is buying a ruger 556, and they let him buy a case (1000) rounds with his rifle. The guy behind me thru a fit. They have ammo they just are not putting it out on the shelf, so when someone buys a gun they have ammo for them.
I've seen this at my local sportsmans warehouse too. They also have primers behind the counter. I had to ask, they only give me 200. Which was better than none.

tntrker

WKR
I'm not sure what is happening. You hear, and understand, "shortage due to Covid & new gun owners. But go into places like Sportsman Warehouse and Academy and they'll have both ammo isles filled with cases of shooting clays. Like they are not even expecting or wanting to put ammo back up. Obama years taught me to stock up.

nobody

WKR
Just to clear up any confusion on why this is happening, I work part time at a Sportsman's Warehouse in Utah. Basically, what we have been instructed to do is to keep enough ammo to sell 1 box with every gun on the shelf. If we get 3 AR's and 5 bulk boxes of 5.56, then 3 of them go in the back with the AR's so that the guy buying his new gun can actually use his new gun, and the other 2 go on the shelf. Usually, the ammo on the shelf gone within an hour, and the AR's within a day. So it's not like we sit on billions of rounds of ammo and sit and giggle because everyone is running around like chickens with their heads cut off. I can't even get what I need for myself. It's been months since I saw any Hornady Precision Hunter 6.5 Creedmoor factory ammo, let alone any Hybrid 100v for my 7mm rem mag. So it's not like we all save it for ourselves, we just try to make sure the new guy can use his new toy. The guys who work at the stores suffer just like you. We just aren't receiving it. To the guy who says "It's like they are not even expecting or wanting to put ammo back up," we WANT so bad to put it out, but we just don't receive it. And retail/sales 101 is that you never leave a shelf space empty. You fill it with something else, because it's more pleasing to the eye. I completely redo our ammo shelves every week because some weeks we get lots of 30-06 and no 270, then the next week we get 300 win mag and our 30-06 is gone. So we just try to cycle through the space we do have and maximize the shelf space we do have. I would bet most places do the exact same thing.

Also, a word of advice on getting stuff from a storefront retailer. If you come in like vultures looking for and scrambling for everything on order receival day, we wait until you're gone to finish putting the order out on the shelves. Not gonna help the jerk. But if you come in politely and ask respectfully if we have any XXX in the order, most of us will drop what we are doing and go dig for you. I can't tell you how many people I've asked to leave the store because every box I've pulled out of the back they're digging through it faster than I can open it and leaving a mess behind them.

Djacker

WKR
The employee i delt with told me they re-stock every night with anything they get into stock. He also said the same 9 guys are waiting at the door every morning to buy anything ammo/reloading related they can. Im sure those are they guys selling 500 primers on gun broker for $150. People need to stop being greedy.

archp625

WKR
Just to clear up any confusion on why this is happening, I work part time at a Sportsman's Warehouse in Utah. Basically, what we have been instructed to do is to keep enough ammo to sell 1 box with every gun on the shelf. If we get 3 AR's and 5 bulk boxes of 5.56, then 3 of them go in the back with the AR's so that the guy buying his new gun can actually use his new gun, and the other 2 go on the shelf. Usually, the ammo on the shelf gone within an hour, and the AR's within a day. So it's not like we sit on billions of rounds of ammo and sit and giggle because everyone is running around like chickens with their heads cut off. I can't even get what I need for myself. It's been months since I saw any Hornady Precision Hunter 6.5 Creedmoor factory ammo, let alone any Hybrid 100v for my 7mm rem mag. So it's not like we all save it for ourselves, we just try to make sure the new guy can use his new toy. The guys who work at the stores suffer just like you. We just aren't receiving it. To the guy who says "It's like they are not even expecting or wanting to put ammo back up," we WANT so bad to put it out, but we just don't receive it. And retail/sales 101 is that you never leave a shelf space empty. You fill it with something else, because it's more pleasing to the eye. I completely redo our ammo shelves every week because some weeks we get lots of 30-06 and no 270, then the next week we get 300 win mag and our 30-06 is gone. So we just try to cycle through the space we do have and maximize the shelf space we do have. I would bet most places do the exact same thing.

Also, a word of advice on getting stuff from a storefront retailer. If you come in like vultures looking for and scrambling for everything on order receival day, we wait until you're gone to finish putting the order out on the shelves. Not gonna help the jerk. But if you come in politely and ask respectfully if we have any XXX in the order, most of us will drop what we are doing and go dig for you. I can't tell you how many people I've asked to leave the store because every box I've pulled out of the back they're digging through it faster than I can open it and leaving a mess behind them.
Thanks for the heads up. Sounds like a mess. I have been to Scheels on two different Wednesday before Christmas getting Christmas items. My wife and I walked by the ammo isle and witnessed the same type of people going nuts and the employees were taking ammo out of the cases to put on the shelves.

OP
L

Lawnboi

WKR
Got an email today from the seller saying “jk man, we actually don’t have a 223 in stock. here’s your $ back”

Can’t even buy a plane Jane tikka 223 these days..
That’s a kick in the balls. I’d call every scheels hour willing to drive to and see if they have one.

Your post caused me to impulse buy another 100 at midway price, needed a new bullet puller collet and it ended up in the cart.

OP
L

Lawnboi

WKR
On a side note I got lucky on my way home from a hunting trip this last year. Ended up at a scheels when it opened and they were stocking shelves. Vultures is right, there were a dozen retired dudes lined up, ready to attack the pistol ammo section. I did score some primers that day. The gunbroker stuff about makes me sick. I miss a notification and look on gunbroker, there it is, 300% markup.

Rob5589

WKR
People are acting insane. You have grown men buying ammunition for guns they don't even have money th

The employee i delt with told me they re-stock every night with anything they get into stock. He also said the same 9 guys are waiting at the door every morning to buy anything ammo/reloading related they can. Im sure those are they guys selling 500 primers on gun broker for $150. People need to stop being greedy.
This comes up a ton on a California gun website I frequent. The common thought is; it is American capitalism, not greed. Buy low, sell high. The only reason they sell for 150 is because people are willing to pay 150. Guns, ammo, reloading supplies, etc, are luxuries, not necessities.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I guess it depends on where you are. I had Hornady Precision Hunter 6.5 CM ammo listed for sale locally, along with a bunch of powders at $30/lb, primers for $50-60/box, Federal 5.56 for $.65/round and got barely any response at all. I still have a mostly full bottle of Retumbo even. I guess no one wants this stuff that badly. "Finally" just sold some projectiles I don't need anymore for $20 per 100-count box, and powders for $25/lb.

I guess it depends on where you are. I had Hornady Precision Hunter 6.5 CM ammo listed for sale locally, along with a bunch of powders at $30/lb, primers for $50-60/box, Federal 5.56 for $.65/round and got barely any response at all. I still have a mostly full bottle of Retumbo even. I guess no one wants this stuff that badly. "Finally" just sold some projectiles I don't need anymore for $20 per 100-count box, and powders for $25/lb.
I didn't see any primers listed.
Im the point where I'd buy a plane. To get some large rifle primers at this point.

I even look for online companies that only allow local pick up thinking i may pay for them and let them sit until I can get there.

I've got to let a few recent purchases blow over then ill most likely have to pay gun broker prices.

OP
L

Lawnboi

WKR
This comes up a ton on a California gun website I frequent. The common thought is; it is American capitalism, not greed. Buy low, sell high. The only reason they sell for 150 is because people are willing to pay 150. Guns, ammo, reloading supplies, etc, are luxuries, not necessities.
I get it, it’s capitalism. I’m just the working man who doesn’t have the tech, time or money to automatically buy whatever I can just to repost it for a 200% profit. I guess it’s just part of being middle class.

Regardless I still think whoever is doing the above is a jackass.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I didn't see any primers listed.
Were you looking at my listings on Armslist? I don't think I had any regular LR primers listed, just magnums. And in case anyone is wondering I finally sold most of this stuff in Dec but it still wasn't easy, posted it in September. Just last week got rid of some brass and bullets on here, and today am selling the rest of the powder locally........except the Retumbo. It's like a red-headed step child.

Attachments

• 100_4341.JPG
    100_4341.JPG
    375.4 KB · Views: 39
Were you looking at my listings on Armslist? I don't think I had any regular LR primers listed, just magnums. And in case anyone is wondering I finally sold most of this stuff in Dec but it still wasn't easy, posted it in September. Just last week got rid of some brass and bullets on here, and today am selling the rest of the powder locally........except the Retumbo. It's like a red-headed step child.
Everyone probably saw regular prices and assumed a scamm 😆