Headlamp help

kaburt1

FNG
Hey I've been looking around and I'm a bit overwhelmed at all the options (on all gear).

I was looking at a few specific models and was hoping I could get some feedback from field users.
Really looking to keep it under $40, although I heard really great things about Fenix and like the detachable light option. However the HL55 is around 65 shipped on Amazon.

The main use is bow hunting, although I'll likely use it for night training such as hikes, runs, cycling as well. Not really experienced enough to know how much light duration and what lumens I'll need, but I do like to night explore.

-Black Diamond Storm
This one seems like it would fit the bill well for ~$40

-Black Diamond Spot

-Fenix HL55

-Petzl Tikka

Appreciate any feedback and suggestions.
Black diamond storm is great... it has a learning curve though. Watch YouTube and then you will slowly fall in love with it!

tracker12

WKR
Can’t beat the black diamond spot. Just make what ever you get has a lock. They have a habit of getting turned on in a back and burn thru the battery

Mosby

WKR
I use a Princeton Tec Apex. I don't if it is better or worse than others but it works for me. You can use lithium with it, which matches the batteries I put in my gps. It has high, low and colored light settings. It is over 500 lumen. Waterproof as well.

Do you have other battery powered gear? I always try to keep gear running on the same battery type if psssible. I use the fenix HL23 (single AA) with lithium batteries and it treats me well. I used to have a BD storm and if you're running AAA's its a good option.

TheCougar

WKR
Don’t nickel and dime it. A headlamp is something you most likely will use once a day while hunting, at least. Spend the extra $25 on a Fenix or Zebralight and don’t look back. Recommend using 18650 platform for much better performance.

R

Raizmup

Ive had many different headlamps ranging from $15 to $100. I like the cheaper Petzl lights and Nite Core lights. I have a black diamond spot, and i hate the way it operates. Whatever you go with, get one that has a red light option on it. I carry my Nite Core HC60 as backup/tracking light. It gets extremely bright.

drose

FNG
Man there is a headlamp at academy the Cyclops Ranger Quad (I believe it is called) for about $20 and it has 126 Lumens (bright enough to see what you need to see), green light, red light, and flashing light (Would be good for signalling help). The only issue I have had was I broke the light fixture off when I was hog trapping. I use this headlamp for bowhunting and it works great! Yeah you cant dip it in water or throw it off a cliff, but for $20 its cheap and useful

Professor

Lil-Rokslider
I am with you on the confusion. I finally got the storm because it can be had cheap (got one for me and one for my son for $54.00) I might still get something else, but I am very happy so far.

I just received a Nitecore NU25 and put a lightweight shock cord/toggle on it (litesmith sells one) weighs 32 grams and has 350lumens
Plus it’s rechargeable.

I’ve had another Nitecore product I use almost daily for work and it’s fantastic.