Hearing Protection Recommendations for Training Courses

solo06

FNG
I'll be attending my first civilian professional training course later this spring. It's been a long time since I've attended a course that mixed a lot of range instruction with shooting.

I have a pair of cheap, large earmuffs that I never use for rifle shooting because they clang on the stock and get in the way. So, I always use the foam insert style of earplugs. But, for attending this course, leaving the earplugs in would make it more difficult to hear the instruction and repeatedly removing/reinserting these would waste time and be annoying.

I've never tried electronic earmuffs, but these might seem like a good solution for hearing the instruction while maintaining hearing protection. But, is there an electronic earmuff model that is low-profile enough to not clang on the stock and get in the way? Many of the companies/models also seem to have mixed reviews for the durability and quality of the electronic audio performance (either not cutting the audio quick enough, cutting it too long so conversation is missed, or just completely failing to operate after a short time).

There's also the insert/earplug kind (either foam or custom-molded) that are similar to foam insert earplugs, but that advertise either allowing normal conversation to pass through or electronically enhancing voice communication. This style would certainly stay out of the way from the rifle stock, but many of the companies/models seem to have mixed reviews regarding their sound filtering performance and/or all-day comfort.

For price, I'd like to keep it around $120 or less. I'm sure those $500 models are great, but for my needs, I just can't justify spending hundreds of dollars on earplugs/muffs. I have other equipment and ammo to buy. :)

I don't really have a preference between earmuffs versus plugs, as long as they're comfortable to wear for long periods, allow hearing range instructions without removal, and stay out of the way from the rifle stock so shooting form and hearing protection is maintained.

Any recommendations? Thank you!

I use Peltor Shotgunners for everything. I tried amplified muffs, but didn't see much benefit. You will be able to hear at the course, even with ear pro in/on. Since everybody is wearing them, their voices will be louder to compensate. Keep your eyes on the instructor...If you want to try some inexpensive electronic ones, the 6s Peltors work fine. Remember to turn them off when not in use, and remove the batteries if storing them for a long time.

rayporter

WKR
i use custom molded ear protection under large muffs. even with this i still have ringing after a match. even when there are no brakes in use on small calibers. at one time i used the shotgun peltors then switched up to custom.

get as much protection as you can fit on your head. dont worry about a days comfort or stock interference. cheap foam plugs under what you have is probably a good combo for a lot of shooting.

Browtine

WKR
Howard Leight Impact Sport E-muffs. Low profile, work great and are cheap. I've competed and taken lots of classes and they've always worked great. If I'm shooting a brake, I wear custom molded plugs underneath and can still hear conversation fine.

I went to a class at Rifles Only in TX. Depending on the situation I used ear muffs
But I ALWAYS had plugs in my ears.

You never know who you will be next to. I found myself on the line to the right of a guy with an
AR10, which ejected onto my head. He also had a muzzle brake.