Heel Blisters in Stiff Boots - any solutions?

AKMoose

WKR
Never get blisters in any footwear, even super long hikes and backpacking trips - most in my Solomon Quests. As soon as I started looking into and trying stiffer boots for some higher alpine trips and a sheep hunt I can't seem to find one I'm happy on. Most recently just did a 12mi 4000' gain hike in my Cripis and my heels are both wrecked. I taped on the way up and changed socks multiple times, did glacier gel at the end. No matter how I lace or what insoles it's just always some heel movement.

Is it just a thing with stiff boots that you get heel lift on the inclines? Not a problem on the decent at all, but any up incline no matter how they are laced up I get some heel slip.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

grfox92

WKR
I spent alot of money buying and selling the stiff boots everyone says you need to hunt the mountains. None of them worked out for me and I've all but given up on it. I just don't think my feet like stiff boots.

I'll be buying a new pair of Salomon Quests this year. I don't have soft ankles and I think they are stiff enough soles for rocky terrain. So I'll be sticking with what works.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

kad11

WKR
Never get blisters in any footwear, even super long hikes and backpacking trips - most in my Solomon Quests. As soon as I started looking into and trying stiffer boots for some higher alpine trips and a sheep hunt I can't seem to find one I'm happy on. Most recently just did a 12mi 4000' gain hike in my Cripis and my heels are both wrecked. I taped on the way up and changed socks multiple times, did glacier gel at the end. No matter how I lace or what insoles it's just always some heel movement.

Is it just a thing with stiff boots that you get heel lift on the inclines? Not a problem on the decent at all, but any up incline no matter how they are laced up I get some heel slip.

I went through a similar process and finally concluded I wasn't going to find a stiff boot with a perfect fit. I decided to compromise by settling on the most comfortable boot (one with the best last for my foot) and then taking steps to prevent the heel carnage. I have to use Leukotape and a liner sock every time I go out now, but I don't get heel blisters anymore so it's worth the slight inconvenience.

FNG
I ran into a fella when I was sheep hunting who was in his 70’s. On his feet were not stiff boots, but hiking type shoes with no ankle support. This man had many years of hunting behind him and he told me “just use what works for you”.

kad11

WKR
I should probably add I used to carry medium-heavy packs off trail through deadfall and scree in trail runners all the time no problem. I always wondered why guys wanted stiff boots for elk hunting...

However, over about 5 years my foot anatomy seemed to change and I started getting pretty bad nerve pain in my ankles. I also lost the ability/ strength to point my toes up or down for a while and basically had floppy feet that I couldn't flex up or down. PT helped resolve these issues somewhat, but now, at 33 years old, I can't even walk a trail with anything less than semi-stiff hiking boots.

Everyone is different, but lots of miles packing weight in trail runners kinda f****d me up...

Good luck finding something that works for you.

Montero

Lil-Rokslider
I hunt the mountian with Kenetrek Guides and have learned to used mole skin on the back of my heels everyday. And yes I change it out everyday. This prevent blisters and is worth if for me since I like the boot. Good luck.

Zappaman

WKR
I think the multi-boot concept is missed by many. Hard country calls for good boots, BUT if you're just hunting (not packing- yet), a lightweight, flexible boot (or sneaker) may be better. Then after the kill, you can get the pack boots for support when hauling back the meat. A sock liner is ALWAYS used on my pack boots as they are stiff and the heel lift will happen BUT doesn't cause blisters when GOOD liners are used. Some like poly; I prefer thin wool (liners) under thicker wool.

But tweak BEFORE the hunt, get insoles as needed and break them in good during summer before the fall hunt! And if a boot doesn't fit right... sell it off before taking it outdoors!! I have several pair I wore around the house a few months this spring that I'll be selling soon. They are the exact size on paper, and damn fine boots for sure-- but I know they won't work in the field for MY foot. Doesn't mean they are a bad boot, but just like an x-wife... as well "built" as they may be, you have to cut bait when you just don't have a fit!

I don't do the hardcore terrain any more, but when I did it was in lightweight, low cut boots. After the kill the "same day" packs were light-weight and the haul under 50 lbs (back straps/horns). Then we came back for the 115 lb packs (elk shoulder/ham on bigger elk) with stiffer boots and took the entire day to haul the meat back 4-6 REAL miles (of 2k ft up and down along the way).

Dioni A

Basque Assassin
Needing super stiff boots is a joke. I think it's one of those myths that people propagate even though they've never had any experience with it. It all depends on what your feet need. The only thing I will say to credit the stiff boot hysteria is that they're typically much more durable in hard terrain.

come2elmo

WKR
I went through a similar process and finally concluded I wasn't going to find a stiff boot with a perfect fit. I decided to compromise by settling on the most comfortable boot (one with the best last for my foot) and then taking steps to prevent the heel carnage. I have to use Leukotape and a liner sock every time I go out now, but I don't get heel blisters anymore so it's worth the slight inconvenience.
This. no problems after I tape up.

grfox92

WKR
Needing super stiff boots is a joke. I think it's one of those myths that people propagate even though they've never had any experience with it. It all depends on what your feet need. The only thing I will say to credit the stiff boot hysteria is that they're typically much more durable in hard terrain.
I agree with this. Delta, Special Forces, SEALs, and conventional units weren't wearing stiff mountaineering boots in the harsh conditions of the Hindu Kush. They carried 100lb packs in those mountains too.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

I was in the same boat as you for a long time. My heels were always wrecked. On of the main causes of heel lift is a boot that is too BIG. I re measered my feet using a square and fount the acutal length of my foot in CM. I was actually buying boots that were a size and a half too big.

When buying stiff, technical boots it was told to me by someone who actually knows what they are talking about, when you kick the toe of the boot "you should not stub your toe on the in side of the boot, buy you should know its there."

You may also have a pronounced heel sticking back past your achellies. I have this issue. The boot i have found so far with the most pronounced heel cup is the SCARPA CHARMOZ. THis has been the first pair of boots i have been able to wear without leukotape on a long, steep hike and not get blisters.

OP
A

AKMoose

WKR
I was in the same boat as you for a long time. My heels were always wrecked. On of the main causes of heel lift is a boot that is too BIG. I re measered my feet using a square and fount the acutal length of my foot in CM. I was actually buying boots that were a size and a half too big.

When buying stiff, technical boots it was told to me by someone who actually knows what they are talking about, when you kick the toe of the boot "you should not stub your toe on the in side of the boot, buy you should know its there."

You may also have a pronounced heel sticking back past your achellies. I have this issue. The boot i have found so far with the most pronounced heel cup is the SCARPA CHARMOZ. THis has been the first pair of boots i have been able to wear without leukotape on a long, steep hike and not get blisters.
Heels never wrecked in non technical boots, but in stiff ones it's just always some heel slip. Appreciate tip on sizing. I'm a 14 on right foot and 13.25 on left. So mountaineering boots I'm always a 48EU or I can feel the front with my toes. I actually had a pair of the scarpas you mentioned, heels felt good, but toes were just too tight in them it bugged me on even short hikes.

OP
A

AKMoose

WKR
Overall on the other comments - I tend to agree with stiff boots not being as necessary as we think. They are made for super technical work with crampons and other stuff. Ok the lacing comments, I've tried every way imaginable.

For now I'm sticking with softer boots or use a liner and leuko tape if I decide I have to do stiff ones.

Heels never wrecked in non technical boots, but in stiff ones it's just always some heel slip. Appreciate tip on sizing. I'm a 14 on right foot and 13.25 on left. So mountaineering boots I'm always a 48EU or I can feel the front with my toes. I actually had a pair of the scarpas you mentioned, heels felt good, but toes were just too tight in them it bugged me on even short hikes.

With softer boots the flex can seem to hide a lot of fit issues. I do think boots can be too stiff for most hunting. I think it needs to flex under weight at the ball of the foot, that is where power for climbing comes from.

Those charmoz do have a tighter toe box! thankfully i have skinny feet and they fit me perfect.

A less stiff boot might be your ticket. GoHunt has a usefull flex rating system. My father would cringe at the tought of hunting in anything stiffer than a "2".

This is almost the opposite of what I've found works for me which goes to show that everyone is different.

I actually had to size up in boots to make them work.

I have pointy pronounced heels that stick back past my achilles and the scarpa charmoz felt perfect on my feet at first because of the pronounced heel cups. I figured that was the trick and it would lock my heels in place. In practice, the part of the heel cup that was supposed to lock my heel in place put a ton of pressure on my heel and wrecked them worse than any other boot has.

What I have found that works is not having any pronounced structure in the heel cup to hold my heel in place but having the boot fit snug on my ankle and forefoot to keep my feet in place. My heels may lift a little but if they are not making firm contact with any part of the heel cup my heels tend to hold up well (with the help of leukotape and liner socks).

In regards to this thread. I went through a handful of stiffer boots before finding what works for me. I prefer some extra support because I have pussy flatlander feet that need some help biting into side hills and climbing the steeper stuff. My feet feel trashed after a big day in quest 4d or sportiva trango TRK level stiffness boots. Zamberlan 980s are the gold standard of having support without being too stiff for my feet. Hoffman hunters work well too. A little bit of flex in the toes and rocker in the sole helps keep some pressure of the heels.

Last edited:

Vandy321

WKR
I went though this with both my Scarpa Zodiak Tech and Crispi Briksdal...my solution seems counter-intuitive. I think it's actually impossible to keep a heel from moving with a shank that doesn't flex. So instead of cranking them down so that heel is pressed hard into the cup (so it rubs more when it inevitably moves a little) I loosened my boots up, I tie them what I would consider snug but do not crank on them, about as tight as I'd tie a pair of running shoes. If lacing your boots in the cold hurts your hands, I'd argue you are pulling too hard, just my uneducated opinion.

Works for me, never so much as a hint of a hotspot in either boot since I changed lacing habits. I took my scarpas 7 miles round trip up to 14k on day 1 out of the box, crampons for half that, no rub.

Last edited:

xcutter

WKR
I went through several pairs of boots before I gave up on stiff boots. I finally settled on Schnee's Timberline's and Kestrel's. The Timberline are as stiff as my feet can handle and not get heel blisters.

I realized I cannot wear stiff boots.

OP
A

AKMoose

WKR
I went through several pairs of boots before I gave up on stiff boots. I finally settled on Schnee's Timberline's and Kestrel's. The Timberline are as stiff as my feet can handle and not get heel blisters.

I realized I cannot wear stiff boots.
I think I'm just in the same boat as you. I do plenty of off trail, in some nasty stuff and my feet are just as fatigued in Salomon quests and my stiffer Cripis guides - no blisters in the salmons though. The stiff boots are more durable for sure, and maybe I can tape enough to make them work, but why if mine are happy in soft boots? Save weight too on the light ones.