Hells Canyon Armory New Carbon Composite Rifles

Well some secrets have already been let out of the bag and ya'll have known this was coming for awhile. We've yet to update a new page of our website outlining our new one of a kind composite barreled long range rifles, but figured the Rokslide crew should be the first to know about them!

First things first, these rifles are on a 6 MONTH delivery time. For those of you already familiar with the industry, that's pretty standard if not quicker than 70% of the builders out there. Cost will be in the $4,000-$4500 range.

The secret to this rifle and what makes it vastly different from other carbon barreled rifles, is the fact that the barrel is not wrapped exclusively with carbon fiber. The historic problem with carbon barreled rifles is that they have a hard time dissipating heat well because of the carbon wrap. We're really excited because not only have we GREATLY improved the heat dissipating abilities of these barrels, but with the composite wrap we've actually reduced a LOT of barrel harmonics. While doing load development you can feel just how much heat is being pulled off of the barrel. It's not unusual to have the carbon warmer to the touch than the barrel tennon itself. Very cool stuff and we're very excited about it!

We can build these rifles off of a custom action or a true'd Remington 700 platform. Our barrel contours are coming from Benchmark barrels and they are a great company with great people.
Here's an example of a recent build:
True'd Remington 700 Action
Custom 1 piece bolt from Pacific Tool & Gauge with mini 16 extractor and tactical bolt knob.
HCA Composite Barrel finished at 27", 1:9.4" twist
338 Norma Magnum cut with a match grade PTG reamer
Timney Trigger tuned at set at 1.5 lbs
APA Fat Bastard Brake
Manners Elite Hunter 1 stock pillar bedded using "stress free" bedding techniques
Factory BDL bottom metal (any other bottom metal can be used, prices vary)
Approximate weight of bare rifle is 7.55 lbs (We're going to be doing a few other things to lighten them up, this rifle is about the heaviest you'll see). Rifle with Seekins base/rings and Vortex FFP PST scope is 9.5 lbs. The way these rifles balance is amazing as well because all the weight is centered around the action.

Using H1000 powder this rifle is shooting 300 grain SMK's approximately 2750 fps with great accuracy and no pressure signs. Using Vihtavouri N570 there's another 100 fps of speed in this caliber. We can build any caliber rifle you want off of this platform with barrel lengths of less than 28".

Here's a test target from the below rifle at 500 yards:

Another test target at 100 yards. Above group is jammed .030" into the lands, the bottom group measured right below .5 MOA and is approximately .005" jumped off the lands.

Pictures of rifle:

Also we haven't really come up with a name yet for these rifles that we like... We'd appreciate suggestions! :)
Mike

Last edited:

Zbowman1

WKR
Holly cow Mike! Looks great. How about the "Rattler" . Don't know why I thought of that. Guess the Carbon checkering on the barrel reminds me of snake skin.

OP
HellsCanyon
Here's a crappy cellphone picture of the first 2 338 Norma Magnums we built. The OD green stock one has been delivered and is on Ryan Avery's live moose hunt right now!

"Rattler" is not a bad name! We're thinking of something along the lines of "Purgatory" or something that'll fit with our Logo and business name but that's one area I've never been real good at...

Mike

gelton

WKR
Hells Canyon C² Long Range Rifle.

The C² stands for custom carbon. Also can play off the atomic # of carbon which is 6, then list the 6 critical components of the rifle (trigger etc).

Could also go with C³, that would be Canyon Custom Carbon.

You would definitely be missing out not to get Hells or Canyon (or both) somewhere in the name. Hells bells?

Since asking if the winner of naming the rifle gets a free one would be a long shot, how about a significant discount?

OP
HellsCanyon
Hells Canyon C² Long Range Rifle.

The C² stands for custom carbon. Also can play off the atomic # of carbon which is 6, then list the 6 critical components of the rifle (trigger etc).

Could also go with C³, that would be Canyon Custom Carbon.

You would definitely be missing out not to get Hells or Canyon (or both) somewhere in the name. Hells bells?

Since asking if the winner of naming the rifle gets a free one would be a long shot, how about a significant discount?

Great suggestions... We're also working on getting a stencil made so we can put the HCA skull logo on the offhand side of the buttstock but we're having issues getting a silhouette stencil cut out that small with that much details!

And I could roll with a significant discount to the winner if we pick a suggestion from on here or another website. How about $400 off the purchase price? These are already priced well below the cost of the Christensen Arms or GunWerks rifles and they'll shoot just as good.

Also I've got some things in the works to try and get a custom 3 round magazine developed for a low profile hunting application that will also allow the shooter to run the AICS 5 and 10 round magazines and be much more versatile (For the Norma magnums which we're loving) but this is likely months in the future.

I'm thinking of running a 24" barreled 338 Norma mag and seeing what kind of speeds I can push those 300's at. It was designed specifically around a 26" barrel and is the most efficient 338 chamber on the market right now. Getting close to lapua speeds with MUCH less powder and a shorter/fatter case.

Mike

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
I have shot three different load through this rifle. All groups where under .5 inches! It's very very light with 30-06 like recoil. It's a sweet ass rifle:)

idig4au

WKR
Wow, 6 month turn around time is awesome! And the price is very attractive as well. I'm right at a year right now waiting for my lightweight custom I'm having built up for mountain hunting. I'm hoping to get it by the end of the year.

Are the carbon barrels of your own design or are they based off the ABS/Proof design? The mottled carbon weave looks similar to those.

The rifles you built up are very easy on the eyes and look to be shooters.

colonel00

WKR
Well, since it is actually a tool used by a reaper, how about "Scythe" or something along those lines. You could go Greek and go with Thanatos.

OP
HellsCanyon
Wow, 6 month turn around time is awesome! And the price is very attractive as well. I'm right at a year right now waiting for my lightweight custom I'm having built up for mountain hunting. I'm hoping to get it by the end of the year.

Are the carbon barrels of your own design or are they based off the ABS/Proof design? The mottled carbon weave looks similar to those.

The rifles you built up are very easy on the eyes and look to be shooters.

Thanks for the compliments!
Our carbon wrap is ENTIRELY different than the ABS/Proof Research barrels. We have totally different contours and use different materials in the layup of the composites.

Mike

Rent Outdoor Gear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Awesome Mike! Great looking rifles - you know I want one!!

How about these names:
Diablo
Trident
Thor
Sinister
Demon
Hexx
Banshee
Hellfire
Inferno
Cinder
Incinerator
Sevin (after 7 devils)
7D
Killswitch
Jager Bomb
DOA
DRT
Dragon, Dragyn or Draggin'
Draco
Apex
Crux
Sentence
Carbon XS (excess)
add "carbon" before/after some of the above

OK... I'll stop and let the other kids play :) I used to do this a lot at Hoyt

Liljozie495

Lil-Rokslider
mike those rifles are beautiful lol. when it comes to my next rifle i think you will be getting a call for sure haha. what about HC Carbon...simple enough (hells canyon carbon) or the punisher