Hells Canyon Armory New Carbon Composite Rifles

Hardstalk

WKR
"If you dont shoot a hells canyon high country carbon hell razor slaughter cat, then fu$$ you!"

- ricky bobby.

OP
HellsCanyon
That's my dream rifle right there Mike. If I was a rich man I would have my order in already.

:) We're working on using a titanium action as well. I'm going to build a sub 7 lb 24" barreled 7WSM for next year... should be pretty phenomenal!

Mike

Shrek

WKR
Mike , have you looked at the 7mm-300 wsm. Longer neck and maybe a little bit more efficient. Easy to neck down 300 wsm norma cases . You don't need to fire form and much better brass available. I'm thinking of saving up for all the accoutrements I would need and when I rebarrel my factory 7mm wsm make the switch.

OP
HellsCanyon
Mike , have you looked at the 7mm-300 wsm. Longer neck and maybe a little bit more efficient. Easy to neck down 300 wsm norma cases . You don't need to fire form and much better brass available. I'm thinking of saving up for all the accoutrements I would need and when I rebarrel my factory 7mm wsm make the switch.

Looked at it, haven't gotten the itch to order a reamer yet... lot of guys going to it just for the sake of brass though...

Mike

Shrek

WKR
Mike , I've got 50 pieces of 7mm wsm brass and I feel lucky to have gotten that. I don't know how many loadings I can get but I'm close to starting my third loading of the lot. Getting close to an acceptable load so the third round of loading will hopefully be all dialed in hunting rounds. I would be there now but for the big difference in Retumbo lots. This shortage is a real PIA ! The 7mm-300 is the round wichester should have made but they had to make it idiot proof so we got the current 7mm wsm. The 7mm-300 wsm has a lot going for it. Easier to obtain and better quality brass , longer neck for better barrel life and tension , and a wee bit better powder efficency.

OP
HellsCanyon
Mike , I've got 50 pieces of 7mm wsm brass and I feel lucky to have gotten that. I don't know how many loadings I can get but I'm close to starting my third loading of the lot. Getting close to an acceptable load so the third round of loading will hopefully be all dialed in hunting rounds. I would be there now but for the big difference in Retumbo lots. This shortage is a real PIA ! The 7mm-300 is the round wichester should have made but they had to make it idiot proof so we got the current 7mm wsm. The 7mm-300 wsm has a lot going for it. Easier to obtain and better quality brass , longer neck for better barrel life and tension , and a wee bit better powder efficency.

That Retumbo lot variance is insane.... freaking hate it cause it's a solid powder!

Mike

slim9300

WKR
:) We're working on using a titanium action as well. I'm going to build a sub 7 lb 24" barreled 7WSM for next year... should be pretty phenomenal!

Mike

You are a rifle building genius. That sounds pretty amazing to me. :)

My dad is super pumped to get his rifles back. Now he just needs to find a 360"+ bull over there in Eastern MT within 800 yards.

Rent Outdoor Gear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Mike can you tell us a bit more about the 338 Norma and maybe show us a comparative photo of the cartridge next to other popular 300 & 338's?

EricM

FNG
A few more name ideas...

Hell's Canyon Revolution
Hell's Canyon Evolution
Hell's Canyon Redemption

Eric

OP
HellsCanyon
Mike can you tell us a bit more about the 338 Norma and maybe show us a comparative photo of the cartridge next to other popular 300 & 338's?

Been meaning to respond to this post but forgot about it since I last saw it on my phone...

The 338 Norma was developed specifically to compete again the 338 Lapua, but with a 26" barrel and was intended to be able to run off of a standard Remington 700 action (provided you have the .590" bolt face). This resulted in a shorter fatter case that is not limited on bullet seating depth in a standard long action. Measuring COAL from the bullet Ogive on my 300 Norma is actually a few thousands LESS than my 280 ackley improved!

Jimmy Sloan was the main guy behind developing the 338 Norma (there's actually plans in the works for a full auto 338 Norma for the military!) and he along with a few others were 5+ years in the R&D phase. It was designed for military application and has slowly trickled into the civilian shooting world the last few years. There's still not much data on it, but it is the most efficient 338 chamber on the market today. Definitely not the fastest, but it is inherently accurate and more efficient than the 338 Lapua. The only issue with running them out of a factory BDL style bottom metal is you can really only get one round in the magazine giving you a 2 shot weapon. They would be ideal to run off a detachable magazine, but would require the 5 shot AICS mags and unfortunately they stick out a few inches below the stock line and are not very low profile for hunting applications. I've been talking with another manufacturer about developing a low profile 3 round AICS style magazine to fit a detachable bottom metal and hopefully we're getting something in the pipeline for that option. Would be very slick to have the option to go with a 5 and even 10 round magazine when not hunting with the 3 round magazine.

We're getting around 2800 FPS using a 300 grain SMK and 92 grains of ramshot magnum out of a 26" barrel. The Vihtavouri N570 powder is supposed to be THE powder for these guns but it's very hard to find right now. Compare that to the 100+ grains guys are using in the Lapuas and often 28'+ barrels, for hunting the Norma is a no brainer decision in my book.

As far as the 300 Norma goes, I'm pushing 185 VLD's almost 3400 fps out of a 27" Rock Creek barrel! Going to be working up some 210 berger loads this weekend and will update that when the time comes.

Mike

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
y5e6uqa2.jpg

300 WSM, 338 Norma Mag, 300 RUM
The Norma round is just SICK