Hells Canyon Armory New Carbon Composite Rifles

OP
HellsCanyon
Thanks for posting that Ryan!

I just ran some 210 Bergers out of the 300 Norma yesterday. 3175 fps and shooting in the .3's.... still got some fine tuning to do but I'm hoping to feed a big Colorado buck a Berger starting Saturday with it!!

Mike

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
That's crazy fast for a 210! I can't get 3050 out of my 300 Rum with the 210

mtbshark

WKR
I am pretty sure that you should name it Wicked Awesome Rifle, I can see it now the title reads now available the HCAWA.R custom rifle. Not only is it wicked awesome but it is birthed in washington so BAM two birds with one stone!

Last edited:
OP
HellsCanyon
Thanks Kevin.
I just got back from the range, took the 210 Bergers to 620 yards. Grouping about 3" without being too careful. Velocity looks like it's closer to 3100 fps which I've suspected my chrony has been reading a bit fast. Either way gun is dialed and ready to roll! Going out with a friend in the morning to see if we can fill his cow tag, maybe get something on film! :)

Mike

Rent Outdoor Gear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Been meaning to respond to this post but forgot about it since I last saw it on my phone...

The 338 Norma was developed specifically to compete again the 338 Lapua, but with a 26" barrel and was intended to be able to run off of a standard Remington 700 action (provided you have the .590" bolt face). This resulted in a shorter fatter case that is not limited on bullet seating depth in a standard long action. Measuring COAL from the bullet Ogive on my 300 Norma is actually a few thousands LESS than my 280 ackley improved!

Jimmy Sloan was the main guy behind developing the 338 Norma (there's actually plans in the works for a full auto 338 Norma for the military!) and he along with a few others were 5+ years in the R&D phase. It was designed for military application and has slowly trickled into the civilian shooting world the last few years. There's still not much data on it, but it is the most efficient 338 chamber on the market today. Definitely not the fastest, but it is inherently accurate and more efficient than the 338 Lapua. The only issue with running them out of a factory BDL style bottom metal is you can really only get one round in the magazine giving you a 2 shot weapon. They would be ideal to run off a detachable magazine, but would require the 5 shot AICS mags and unfortunately they stick out a few inches below the stock line and are not very low profile for hunting applications. I've been talking with another manufacturer about developing a low profile 3 round AICS style magazine to fit a detachable bottom metal and hopefully we're getting something in the pipeline for that option. Would be very slick to have the option to go with a 5 and even 10 round magazine when not hunting with the 3 round magazine.

We're getting around 2800 FPS using a 300 grain SMK and 92 grains of ramshot magnum out of a 26" barrel. The Vihtavouri N570 powder is supposed to be THE powder for these guns but it's very hard to find right now. Compare that to the 100+ grains guys are using in the Lapuas and often 28'+ barrels, for hunting the Norma is a no brainer decision in my book.

As far as the 300 Norma goes, I'm pushing 185 VLD's almost 3400 fps out of a 27" Rock Creek barrel! Going to be working up some 210 berger loads this weekend and will update that when the time comes.

Mike

Thanks for the reply and background info Mike! Also thanks for posting the comparison on the loaded cartridges Ryan - definitely an interesting side by side look!

Coop

C.K

FNG
You can push the 210's a lot faster out of that round, when that caliber was being tested it was shot at the Fort Benning sniper competition it was shot at 3300fps. Ive shot mine over that but it fouls fast doing so, but for a hunting gun who cares.

Clarktar

WKR
Redemption would be a good name I think.

Or Hells Canyon Mountain Carry, or Hells Canyon Backcountry Carry (HCBC)