Help a guy out please

AZBULLCRAZY

Lil-Rokslider
Okay I like so many have spent way too much money on glass then selling buying more etc etc. I have gone from carrying 10s, 15s and a spotter to just 12s and a spotter and now back to 9s, 15s and spotter. I liked the 12s and spotter exceot I have a hand tremor and hand holding the 12s got too hard. Just bought a pair of Maven b2s 9x45 and have swaro 15s and a newer razor 85 spotter. Im not thrilled with the size of the maven b2s. Glass wise awesome. The spotter is a little heavy to pack with 15s as well.

Im contemplating selling all three and going with 10x42 els and the kowa 77 spotter or the swaro 65 with the wide angle lens. Some reviews say keep the 15s too. Does anyone here just use 10s on and off tripod and a small spotter? Or do alot still go the route of 8s to 10s and the 15s and spotter? I mainly hunt mountain areas in Utah, Idaho, AZ etc.

Thanks as my mind is spent after many years of mistakes. I know each has its place but want to hear some of your thoughts as this is an awesome group.

Life_Feeds_On_Life

Lil-Rokslider
I'm in AZ and don't think I'd get rid of my 15's. I haven't yet but picking up a pair of 8's is high on my list. I've tried just 12's and they're too shaky for my liking.

OP
A

AZBULLCRAZY

Lil-Rokslider
I'm in AZ and don't think I'd get rid of my 15's. I haven't yet but picking up a pair of 8's is high on my list. I've tried just 12's and they're too shaky for my liking.
Thanks i am debating keeping those and going 8s and a better spotter and being done. I hope

Get a solid tripod and glass off it with whatever glass you are using. I personally would go 10 or 12’s for upclose and a spotter for distance. You can use the 10 or 12’s on the tripod for extended use out of both eyes if you wanted.
Bit if you already have all that glass, 9, 12, and 15’s plus spotter, then just pick what you will need when you need it for each hinting trip. I would prob use 9’s on most hunts coupled with either the spotter or 15’s on tripod.

OP
A

AZBULLCRAZY

Lil-Rokslider
Get a solid tripod and glass off it with whatever glass you are using. I personally would go 10 or 12’s for upclose and a spotter for distance. You can use the 10 or 12’s on the tripod for extended use out of both eyes if you wanted.
Bit if you already have all that glass, 9, 12, and 15’s plus spotter, then just pick what you will need when you need it for each hinting trip. I would prob use 9’s on most hunts coupled with either the spotter or 15’s on tripod.
I hear ya. I actually sold the 12s I couldn't handhold those much when I had them and only a spotter. Now its just the 9s, 15s and spotter. I might just sell the heavy spotter and get a smaller one and call it good. Like you say I can always pick the 9s and 15s on a hunt or the 9s and spotter.

Thanks for posting this. Now I don’t feel so alone. I have owned and sold so many optics. Now I’m running Leica 10x42RF leupold 15x56s and the really small maven spotter. But I mostly backpack Hunt.

OP
A

AZBULLCRAZY

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for posting this. Now I don’t feel so alone. I have owned and sold so many optics. Now I’m running Leica 10x42RF leupold 15x56s and the really small maven spotter. But I mostly backpack Hunt.
Well it sounds like your doing it right. Im going to try and sell my 9s and spotter and get 10x42 els on sale at cabelas now for about 700 off and then a swaro 65 ats. Figured weight wise will finally be good and can choose 10s with the 15s or 10s with the spotter for hunts. The 85 razor isn't bad but too dang heavy.

BBob

WKR
Long time AZ hunter here. I will always have 10x, 15x and at least a 65 spotter. I will mix and match or carry all 3 as required. Those 3 would be my minimum arsenal for hunting in the west. My 10x have not seen a tripod in a zillion years and they don't even have a mount. That's probably not typical but that's me. I do have 12x and much larger spotter setups to choose from for different conditions but I would always own the first 3 as a minimum. I've used glass from high country above timberline mule deer, goats, sheep, elk, antelope, bears, desert mule deer, Coues, you name it out west and the 3 will cover you anywhere you go.

Edit: Thinking about it none of my close friends put 10x on a tripod.

Last edited:
Well it sounds like your doing it right. Im going to try and sell my 9s and spotter and get 10x42 els on sale at cabelas now for about 700 off and then a swaro 65 ats. Figured weight wise will finally be good and can choose 10s with the 15s or 10s with the spotter for hunts. The 85 razor isn't bad but too dang heavy.
I had the 85 razor also. It never left my house it was so big. Glad I got it at cost. Sold it and went the total opposite direction. I guess what you need to ask yourself is what and where? Do you glass from the truck a lot or short hikes to glassing spots or hike miles with your gear on your back.

TheGDog

WKR
I bought the Razor 11-33x50mm. And I find realistically for me as an eyeglass wearer I can only go up to about 22x or so before my eyeglass is actually touching the eyepiece glass.

I really liked the idea of the small Maven spotter 12-27x56mm. Especially it being straight, I think it would be an easy fit in a side pocket in my pack. But I'm nervy about 27x not being enough and wondering if I should just roll with what I have for awhile until I can afford a Kowa 554 straight scope so it'll give me 45x. But it's almost double the Maven.

Have you yourself compared side-by-side a Maven with a Razor 11-33x50mm?

That being said... to the OP I'd say just try rolling with 8x/10x and a 15x. Overall I really like gridding with 15x on a tripod much better than thru a spotter. You're grinding thru twice the FOV area with each pan of the 15's so you can be very efficient and quick if you need to be. Depends on your terrain type. Many places I've been so far... yeah... you *could* elect to look around with a spotter but it's almost pointless as you realistically can't traverse that kind of distance within a single day to get to where that thing is you spotted... if the terrain is steep or thick or steep & thick. So that aspect can be something to consider. Obviously that changes if you have ability to ride/drive ATV/UTV or pack animals over toward near the area you spotted something. I don't have that luxury.

TheGDog

WKR
Do you glass from the truck a lot or short hikes to glassing spots or hike miles with your gear on your back.
Miles in with gear on my back. They OFTEN close access to perfectly good roads for seemingly no good reason in SoCal. Probably cause PETA or some other such group of losers files frivolous lawsuits.

Marble

WKR
Okay I like so many have spent way too much money on glass then selling buying more etc etc. I have gone from carrying 10s, 15s and a spotter to just 12s and a spotter and now back to 9s, 15s and spotter. I liked the 12s and spotter exceot I have a hand tremor and hand holding the 12s got too hard. Just bought a pair of Maven b2s 9x45 and have swaro 15s and a newer razor 85 spotter. Im not thrilled with the size of the maven b2s. Glass wise awesome. The spotter is a little heavy to pack with 15s as well.

Im contemplating selling all three and going with 10x42 els and the kowa 77 spotter or the swaro 65 with the wide angle lens. Some reviews say keep the 15s too. Does anyone here just use 10s on and off tripod and a small spotter? Or do alot still go the route of 8s to 10s and the 15s and spotter? I mainly hunt mountain areas in Utah, Idaho, AZ etc.

Thanks as my mind is spent after many years of mistakes. I know each has its place but want to hear some of your thoughts as this is an awesome group.
When in the backcountry, i use 10x SLCs with or without a tripod. Just depends. I do have excellent vision so keep that in mind.

I haven't used 15s, but I would if I had them and I rarely carry my spotter in my pack. I just got a new swaro 95 so maybe this year I'll change my mind. Who knows.

The secret to glassing for me is:

Be comfortable ( hot hands in the pocket help)
Take time to set up
Carry light weight tri pod
Have a planned out system for glassing
Move locations regularly. Just 20' left or right will change everything.
Have snacks
Good glass.
Patience....
Know when to call and move locations.

It seems like you have been unhappy with your set up. Nothing will ever be just perfect. You may just have to make what you've got work.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

OP
A

AZBULLCRAZY

Lil-Rokslider
I bought the Razor 11-33x50mm. And I find realistically for me as an eyeglass wearer I can only go up to about 22x or so before my eyeglass is actually touching the eyepiece glass.

I really liked the idea of the small Maven spotter 12-27x56mm. Especially it being straight, I think it would be an easy fit in a side pocket in my pack. But I'm nervy about 27x not being enough and wondering if I should just roll with what I have for awhile until I can afford a Kowa 554 straight scope so it'll give me 45x. But it's almost double the Maven.

Have you yourself compared side-by-side a Maven with a Razor 11-33x50mm?

That being said... to the OP I'd say just try rolling with 8x/10x and a 15x. Overall I really like gridding with 15x on a tripod much better than thru a spotter. You're grinding thru twice the FOV area with each pan of the 15's so you can be very efficient and quick if you need to be. Depends on your terrain type. Many places I've been so far... yeah... you *could* elect to look around with a spotter but it's almost pointless as you realistically can't traverse that kind of distance within a single day to get to where that thing is you spotted... if the terrain is steep or thick or steep & thick. So that aspect can be something to consider. Obviously that changes if you have ability to ride/drive ATV/UTV or pack animals over toward near the area you spotted something. I don't have that luxury.
You bring up some great points. Personally I hate spotters as im constaly switching eyes due to fatigue quickly. I agree with at times we glass things with spotters we can never get to. However in steep mtn areas at times I found you pick an animal up with 15s and its manageable to get there but your not sure if the animal is worth it. That is where a spotter comes in. But kinda why I only want a 65 for little weight too.

BBob

WKR
but it's almost pointless as you realistically can't traverse that kind of distance within a single day to get to where that thing is you spotted...
An old timer and mentor to many near 40 years ago gave this wisdom when asked what distances should you be glassing? His response was "glass from at your feet to as far as you can see". His reasoning (and it's played out true so many times) was that if the as far as you can see is too far for today you'll have something to hunt tomorrow if nothing works out today. I can't tell you how many times we've glassed something too far away in the evening, loaded up and made a move in the dark that night for the next day or got up hours extra early in the morning for the same. Same for something we glassed far in the morning. If nothing else panned out that morning we've made many moves for the afternoon.

fatrascal

WKR
I've tried it all and my favorite set up for backpacking is a pair of 10 power bino's handheld and on a tripod and a 65mm spotter. For truck hunting i take every optic I have which is a lot. Fatrascal.