Help me build a sheep rifle!

There’s an AnTi, a 18” 6CM barrel and I’m selling the 338 Fed barrel all in the classifieds… there’s your start! Don’t molest your Fieldcraft.
I’m going to try and find an anti x that’s nitrated.Found one new for 1550.
Maybe someone will do some sales on Black Friday.
I love my creed and that’s probably what I will go with sence I do not reload.
Out curiosity would you do anything differently?

OP
B_Reynolds_AK
I’m going to try and find an anti x that’s nitrated.Found one new for 1550.
Maybe someone will do some sales on Black Friday.
I love my creed and that’s probably what I will go with sence I do not reload.
Out curiosity would you do anything differently?
I bought mine from Pucker Factor Precision for $1570 nitrided.
That’s why I went with 6.5 CM as well.. but after more research and listening to the Shoot 2 Hunt Podcast, I’m switching to 6 CM.

However, if I was doing this over again, I might have gotten a magnum bolt face and built a 6 UM. I’m probably going to start reloading.

I guess I could always sell this action and Benchmark 6.5 CM barrel and start over. Interested in this one? 😆
The 6 CM is probably a better choice for getting in lots of long range practice without burning up the barrel. It also still gives me 1800 fps at 800 yards, which is 200 yards further than my 6.5.

Also, I would have bought a second Geissele Super 700 trigger when they were still available.

Other than that, there’s nothing else I would change.

Last edited:

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor
I bought mine from Pucker Factor Precision for $1570 nitrided.
That’s why I went with 6.5 CM as well.. but after more research and listening to the Shoot 2 Hunt Podcast, I’m switching to 6 CM.

However, if I was doing this over again, I might have gotten a magnum bolt face and built a 6 UM. I’m probably going to start reloading.

I guess I could always sell this action and Benchmark 6.5 CM barrel and start over. Interested in this one? 😆
The 6 CM is probably a better choice for getting in lots of long range practice without burning up the barrel. It also still gives me 1800 fps at 800 yards, which is 200 yards further than my 6.5.

Also, I would have bought a second Geissele Super 700 trigger when they were still available.

Other than that, there’s nothing else I would change.

I think the 6mm creed has a barrel life of about 1000-1500 and the 6.5 creed is about 2000-2500. The 6.5 PRC is 1000.

My 6.5 creed out of a 21" fieldcraft hit 1800 at 725 yards with 143 ELD-X at 2750
My 6 Creed out of a 20" tikka hits 1800 at 725 yards with a 108 ELD-M at 2908
My 6.5 PRC out of at 20" tikka hits 1800 at 825 yards with a 147 ELD-M at 2758

You really start to split hairs. I would keep the 6.5 creed due to the barrel life and ammo cost. Followed by 6 creed. I think the world we live in is less then $2 a round is good.

While the 6 UM is sexy as hell. I can do similar with my 257 blackbird. Maybe when I burn some of these barrels up I'll build one.

I think the 6mm creed has a barrel life of about 1000-1500 and the 6.5 creed is about 2000-2500. The 6.5 PRC is 1000.

My 6.5 creed out of a 21" fieldcraft hit 1800 at 725 yards with 143 ELD-X at 2750

You really start to split hairs. I would keep the 6.5 creed due to the barrel life and ammo cost. Followed by 6 creed. I think the world we live in is less then $2 a round is good.

While the 6 UM is sexy as hell. I can do similar with my 257 blackbird. Maybe when I burn some of these barrels up I'll build one.
Not to mention that you might stretch that 6.5 creed a little more with some expensive brass and alliant powder, (not that you'll find any)

(Edit: forgot it was 21in barrel. 2750 is cooking)

Last edited:
OP
B_Reynolds_AK
Yeah it’s kind of splitting hairs.. but both my Fieldcraft and this new rifle have 18” barrels. If I shot the 147 ELD-M, that would extend the range a bit, but starting off pretty slow. The G9 113’s are what I’m going off of. With those, at 5,000 ft, I get to 675 yards. (1800)

My thinking is not just about impact velocity, but also even more reduced recoil for spotting closer shots and even cheaper ammo, for more time shooting.

The 6 CM thoughts are based around the 115 DTAC Nose Rings, which appear to have pretty awesome terminal ballistics and a high B.C. I’ll probably jump up to a 20” barrel. The Scythe-Ti is shorter than the suppressors I was originally going to go with.

Antares

WKR

Phew, this makes me feel better. I just wussed out on my 6CM dreams and bought 6.5CM stainless Tikka due to ammo availability, cost, barrel life, factory barrel, etc. I think I can stay above 1800 out to 575-600 yds after I cut the barrel to 18”. That’s far enough for me.

OP
B_Reynolds_AK
Phew, this makes me feel better. I just wussed out on my 6CM dreams and bought 6.5CM stainless Tikka due to ammo availability, cost, barrel life, factory barrel, etc. I think I can stay above 1800 out to 575-600 yds after I cut the barrel to 18”. That’s far enough for me.
Yeah you're dealing with low elevation over there on the rock. My figures are for 5,000 ft. I have a load of Barnes 127 LRX ammo that I wont be using, like 20 boxes worth. Let me know if you need any, for less than retail. I'll be over in November.

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor

I like the 6 creed for the reduced recoild but not so much that I would go to the time and effort to "build" one over a factory 6.5. Just make yourself a deal. When you shoot the 2500ish rounds required to burn up your 6.5 creed you can rebarrel with whatever you want.

When I shoot our my 6.5 creed field craft its going to be remade into a 18" barrel liljia #2 contour 6 xc.

OP
B_Reynolds_AK
I like the 6 creed for the reduced recoild but not so much that I would go to the time and effort to "build" one over a factory 6.5. Just make yourself a deal. When you shoot the 2500ish rounds required to burn up your 6.5 creed you can rebarrel with whatever you want.

When I shoot our my 6.5 creed field craft its going to be remade into a 18" barrel liljia #2 contour 6 xc.
Thankfully a shouldered Prefit is a minimal investment 😆. I like your reasoning & plan though.

fatbacks

WKR
I am in the same boat as you right now. I having an 18" 6 creed barrelled action put together for my chassis... I mean its "for my kids" but I am sure dad will have a lot of fun shooting it as well.

Having gone down the reloading rabbit hole close to a decade ago, I would highly recommend against getting cartridge that you can't go buy at the store as a backup... fun to reload and tweak a SAAMI cartridge all day long, but if you get sick of loading or don't have time, you can go buy 200 rds at the store and get your reps in that way.

I sure like the velocity and recoil from a 6 creed in a stubby suppressed rifle.

Approaching 2500 fps (like i'd expect a tikka 6.5 cut to 18" to do with factory 140 eld) is just getting pretty slow.

Reactions: NSI

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor
Thankfully a shouldered Prefit is a minimal investment 😆. I like your reasoning & plan though.

I'll preface this by saying I don't know you but if I remember your post history your a pretty compentent hunter with a nice list of accomplishments.

The point is to burn up thousands of rounds.
burning bullets gets you to be a better shooter not buying barrels.
first belly shooting learning dope and drops and wind.
then positional shooting.
As avery and form say it makes you a better thing hitter.
750 and 850 quite frankly is really outside my maximum effective range which I set at 500. I shoot to 1000 though in pratice. I still suck at wind reading. Burning in barrels is making me better though.

OP
B_Reynolds_AK
I'll preface this by saying I don't know you but if I remember your post history your a pretty compentent hunter with a nice list of accomplishments.

The point is to burn up thousands of rounds.
burning bullets gets you to be a better shooter not buying barrels.
first belly shooting learning dope and drops and wind.
then positional shooting.
As avery and form say it makes you a better thing hitter.
750 and 850 quite frankly is really outside my maximum effective range which I set at 500. I shoot to 1000 though in pratice. I still suck at wind reading. Burning in barrels is making me better though.
Agreed. Fortunately it’s not a position of one or the other and I will be out there shooting in that manner regardless of wether I purchase another prefit or not.

Mountain hunting for me is more than focusing on only one aspect of it, at the neglect of the others. I optimize for fitness & durability, mountain travel, ultralight principles, research, scouting, optics, firearms, long range shooting..the neglect of any of those areas will lead to inconsistent, if not poor, results.

Or maybe an Ultra 7 Gen 2. AB Raptor, TBAC and Hyperion K seem to be the top of the list here on the Slide from those with experience.
I have a TBAC dominus in the works. For only slightly larger OD, you get somewhere between the Ultra 7 and the 9 in suppression for only 6.25".

OP
B_Reynolds_AK
I have a TBAC dominus in the works. For only slightly larger OD, you get somewhere between the Ultra 7 and the 9 in suppression for only 6.25".
I have the Scythe-Ti coming for this build, which is 5.8” and significantly lighter than the Dominus. Will be interesting to see, or rather hear, comparisons between the TBAC, Raptor, CGS and the new cans like the Scythe.

I’m running a thunder beast 7 gen 2 on my custom 6.5 prc. It’s fairly light and suppresses my shot great. Went with a defiance anti action and Bartlein 3b barrel cut to 20 inches.