Help me build a sheep rifle!

gtriple

WKR
I received the HNT 26 today from @VirginiaBeach. It is brand new and unused.
There are a couple areas that I'd welcome feedback on though.

First thoughts that come to mind is that the fore end attachment sure seems like it could potentially be a weak spot, both from a durability perspective in the mountains, and also removing and attaching it when I want to switch barrels. Has anyone had a failure here, or run into issues by repeatedly removing and replacing the fore end?

Second, I have smaller hands. The standard grip is pretty large and not very ergonomic for me.
I see that for $200 you can buy the vertical carbon grip that looks like it might have a less pronounced “swell” to it.

Has anyone found either of these to be issues, and if so, what did you do about it?

I wonder, as the HNT 26 uses an AR style grip.. would the Smoke Composites Ultralight Pistol Grip fit on here?

View attachment 570782

View attachment 570783
From my experience, I'd definitely say that the fore end attachment is a weak spot. The first one that I got had those threads pulled out the very first time I tried to swap it between my T3X and T1X. I used a torque wrench to their specs at every step.

Then, the replacement one arrived like this:

20220817_200851.jpg

Fortunately, MDT's customer service is top notch. They replaced both chassis on their dime without question.

If it was up to me, I would not have an enclosed fore end and thread into an extremely soft material like magnesium at a structural joint. I absolutely would not recommend this chassis for anybody planning on swapping it between actions or barrels (unless they can be swapped without removing the chassis). At this point, I've got it installed on a rifle that I don't plan on swapping out anytime soon.

I do love almost everything else about the chassis though. Once installed, it is very hard to decide between this one and my XLR Element 4.0 MG. The HNT26 smashes it on weight, so that probably wins for me.

OP
B_Reynolds_AK
From my experience, I'd definitely say that the fore end attachment is a weak spot. The first one that I got had those threads pulled out the very first time I tried to swap it between my T3X and T1X. I used a torque wrench to their specs at every step.

Then, the replacement one arrived like this:

View attachment 570786

Fortunately, MDT's customer service is top notch. They replaced both chassis on their dime without question.

If it was up to me, I would not have an enclosed fore end and thread into an extremely soft material like magnesium at a structural joint. I absolutely would not recommend this chassis for anybody planning on swapping it between actions or barrels (unless they can be swapped without removing the chassis). At this point, I've got it installed on a rifle that I don't plan on swapping out anytime soon.

I do love almost everything else about the chassis though. Once installed, it is very hard to decide between this one and my XLR Element 4.0 MG. The HNT26 smashes it on weight, so that probably wins for me.
Copy that. I’ll definitely keep those things in mind. The Element certainly looks like it could take more abuse, and by that I mean unintentional knocks and bumps in real mountain terrain.

Also, I’m not sure if my carbon barrels will be different, but my CZ 457 16” barreled action with the attached Dead Air Mask slides onto the HNT 26 chassis without removing the fore end.. oh if only it fit the rest of the way! Haha
I’m pretty sure that I’ll be able to insert and remove my barreled action without removing the fore end when I want to swap barrels. 👌🏼

IMG_7146.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
B_Reynolds_AK
I find the HNT 26 carbon grip to be way too fat for my hands and prefer a slimmer profile, especially while wearing gloves. I ordered the XLR Smoke Carbon grip, which is the same grip that comes standard on the Element 4.0.
It fits nicely and transforms the feel of the rifle.

IMG_7523.jpeg

6.5x284

WKR

gtriple

WKR
Copy that. I’ll definitely keep those things in mind. The Element certainly looks like it could take more abuse, and by that I mean unintentional knocks and bumps in real mountain terrain.

Also, I’m not sure if my carbon barrels will be different, but my CZ 457 16” barreled action with the attached Dead Air Mask slides onto the HNT 26 chassis without removing the fore end.. oh if only it fit the rest of the way! Haha
I’m pretty sure that I’ll be able to insert and remove my barreled action without removing the fore end when I want to swap barrels. 👌🏼

View attachment 571054
This is exactly one of the reasons I'm sticking with a Tikka. I can swap any of my chasses between my T3X and T1X for training purposes.

Blaser R8 with Leica optics including scope with adjustable dials and red dot sight in the 2-9 x 42 range and leica range finding binos programmable to then dial into the scope. Caliber I would recommend is 270 WIN since I own it and it is great especailly for the altitude you will be hunting.

OP
B_Reynolds_AK
Dry fit of the rifle now that the majority of the parts have arrived. This is the 16” 338 Fed barrel from Preferred Barrel Blanks. The Benchmark 6.5 CM 1:7.5 18” barrel is still in production. As it sits with this heavier contour bbl and NXS 2.5-10x32 scope, it weighs exactly 7 lbs. That includes an MDT flush mag and the Geissele trigger.

The Alaskan 360 suppressor arrived, but will not be going on this build, as I have the Ti version arriving shortly.
IMG_8437.jpeg

OP
B_Reynolds_AK
It’s ready to zero! Stopped by Denali Arms in Wasilla, AK to have Steven check headspace on the action & Preferred 338 Fed barrel. It was perfect

Assembled everything else and took some weights. Swapped the standard Defiance Anti bolt handle for the bolt knob adapter and an oversized tactical carbon handle.

With the Non-Ti Rugged Alaskan 360 (Titanium direct thread adapter) suppressor and MDT flush 3 rd. mag + 1 for the chamber, it weighs 7 lbs 15 oz.

IMG_8657.jpeg

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
It’s ready to zero! Stopped by Denali Arms in Wasilla, AK to have Steven check headspace on the action & Preferred 338 Fed barrel. It was perfect

Assembled everything else and took some weights. Swapped the standard Defiance Anti bolt handle for the bolt knob adapter and an oversized tactical carbon handle.

With the Non-Ti Rugged Alaskan 360 (Titanium direct thread adapter) suppressor and MDT flush 3 rd. mag + 1 for the chamber, it weighs 7 lbs 15 oz.

View attachment 593223
Looks excellent! Love those shorty barrels.

That can is damn loud though. Finally shot one last week It's about as efficient as an Ultra 5.

OP
B_Reynolds_AK
Looks excellent! Love those shorty barrels.

That can is damn loud though. Finally shot one last week It's about as efficient as an Ultra 5.
Well I’m hoping it’s effective enough. I’m not going to be comparing it to other cans, just using it in the field. Seeing that how this is 338 caliber, there are not many options that are even close to the weight of this.

OP
B_Reynolds_AK
Unexpectedly received my Benchmark 18” 7.5 twist 6.5 CM barrel today!
Denali Arms once again checked this barrel for me, the tolerances were perfect. However, the crown was less than perfect. He put it on the lathe and chamfered it to smooth out the slight burr that he picked up when checking it with a Q Tip.

The build is now 100% complete, 2.5 months from inception.

I swapped scopes from the Fieldcraft and put the NXS 2.5-10x42 on.

In this configuration, it weighs 7 lbs 5 oz.

IMG_8760.jpeg

OP
B_Reynolds_AK
Changed the Geissele Super 700 trigger over to Single Stage and lightened to around 1.5 lbs. This feels better to me than the factory spec’d 2 Stage.

Reactions: NSI
OP
B_Reynolds_AK
First time shooting in the field. Wow, I didn’t know this gun was going to be as good as it is. The ergonomics and capability of the HNT 26 work so well for me.

Shooting the G9 114g Super Match ammo that I got DOPE for in Talkeetna, at 300 ft elevation, I plugged in 4,000 ft into my ballistic calculator. I prefer iSnipe.
I had first round hits on 2’ or less rocks at distances from 530 to 1090 yards.

I spend a considerable amount of time shooting in the mountains with my Fieldcraft that I feel fairly competent. I’ve never shot as well as I have this evening. I’d say this build was an overwhelming success.

A couple things I changed. Swapped back to the standard grip from the Smoke Composites. Shooting prone and off of the tripod, I actually like the palm swell now. I also swapped back to the standard AnTi X bolt knob. The carbon one is nice, but almost too large. I have enough scope clearance with the standard knob.

Changing the Geissele trigger from 2 stage to single and lightening to just over a pound suits me better as well.

The Rugged Alaska 360 is decent. It’s right at hearing safe I’d say with a non magnum cartridge. For $800 it’s fine. The Ti that I have coming is not worth $1400+ though. I’m going to send it back to Silencer Shop using their guarantee when it arrives. I’ll probably get a AB Raptor 8 or CGS Hyperion K instead.

IMG_8790.jpegIMG_8794.jpeg

Last edited:

gtriple

WKR
First time shooting in the field. Wow, I didn’t know this gun was going to be as good as it is. The ergonomics and capability of the HNT 26 work so well for me.

Shooting the G9 114g Super Match ammo that I got DOPE for in Talkeetna, at 300 ft elevation, I plugged in 4,000 ft into my ballistic calculator. I prefer iSnipe.
I had first round hits on 2’ or less rocks at distances from 530 to 1090 yards.

I spend a considerable amount of time shooting in the mountains with my Fieldcraft that I feel fairly competent. I’ve never shot as well as I have this evening. I’d say this build was an overwhelming success.

A couple things I changed. Swapped back to the standard grip from the Smoke Composites. Shooting prone and off of the tripod, I actually like the palm swell now. I also swapped back to the standard AnTi X bolt knob. The carbon one is nice, but almost too large. I have enough scope clearance with the standard knob.

Changing the Geissele trigger from 2 stage to single and lightening to just over a pound suits me better as well.

The Rugged Alaska 360 is decent. It’s right at hearing safe I’d say with a non magnum cartridge. For $800 it’s fine. The Ti that I have coming is not worth $1400+ though. I’m going to send it back to Silencer Shop using their guarantee when it arrives. I’ll probably get a AB Raptor 8 or CGS Hyperion S instead.

View attachment 597043View attachment 597044
Why not a TBAC Ultra? I love mine.

OP
B_Reynolds_AK
After reading the 6UM thread, binging the Shoot 2 Hunt Podcast and playing with my ballistic calculator… I’m going to try 6mm on for size. Specifically a 6 CM.

A 115 DTAC Nose Ring, even at a conservative estimate of a MV of 2,800 fps, is going to extend the effective range of this rifle by 200 yards, all with less recoil and wind drift. At 5,000 ft this will give me 1800 fps at 800 yards and 1600 fps at 1,000.

As of right now, I’m leaning towards a shouldered Prefit from Patriot Valley Arms in the form of a 20”, 7 Twist, steel barrel. Contour will either be a 3B or Light Palma, fluted, in whichever will give me enough shoulder to direct thread the SilencerCo Scythe Ti that I just committed to.

As I still don’t hand load, I’ll be purchasing 6CM loaded with 115 DTAC’s from Unknown Munitions and also shooting factory Hornady 108 ELD-M.

IMG_9490.jpeg