Help me! Rifle Troubles

j_volt

WKR
I have found myself with a custom rifle that is just kicking my tail. Here are the specs:

AB27B7EC-D770-4C8F-B0B6-A0C1C8E025D2.jpeg

Essentially, from a cold bore using 225 ELDM loaded by Unknown Munitions, I can get 3 shots right around 2960 FPS sub MOA, and then the speed will increase to 3030+ and the group will open up drastically. I won’t count out operator error on the group size, but this happens every time and the chronograph supports a drastic shift in speed. Note that this problem has also happened on factory ammo and ammo from Custom Reloads of Dallas. Total round count on the gun is ~265.

There are two additional things that may be noteworthy:
1. When I originally took possession of the new rifle, a chunk of the barrel was missing (photo below). I worked with the gunsmith and Bartlein to get the carbon fiber stripped and reapplied prior to ever firing a shot. I regret that now, but I couldn’t handle taking possession of a rifle with that flaw.
2. The original gunsmith is awaiting trial for a crime that gets you put on a list if found guilty. He cannot help.

Here is my question - what would you do?

My dumb brain seems to think a new barrel might be a starting point, but also this may just be a problem I should expect with so much powder/heat? I would have thought the M24 barrel could have handled more heat. I do not have an established relationship with any other gun smith. For what it’s worth, I’m in the Kansas City area if anyone has any recommendations.

I have a New Mexico elk hunt with Compass West Outfitters in October. I do have a 6.5 PRC in an XLR chassis that I love and shoot lights out, but the outfitter heavily prefers a 30 caliber gun.

Thanks,
Joe

8EB8B664-E2B8-4FDC-B551-39743C8CD18C.jpeg

OP
j_volt

j_volt

WKR
How long are you waiting between shots? My first thought is a heat issue...
This happens when shooting without a break. Between strings I will run a barrel cooler and give it ~15 minutes. I agree it’s a heat issue. Perhaps I’m expecting too much out of this rifle?

madcalfe

WKR
I cant see that nick in the carbon to cause issues like that.
I would think it would be a heat issue and maybe temp sensitive powder,
but odd its doing it with factory as well as handloads.
how many rounds are you putting down during a string?

WKR

WKR
Its a heat issue most likely, possibly a headspace issue but doesn't sound like it if you can get a 3 shot groups without any abnormal results.

Go on the elk hunt with the 6.5 prc with a good tough bullet selection and be worry free. Otherwise you might be second guessing your equipment the whole hunt.

OP
j_volt

j_volt

WKR
I cant see that nick in the carbon to cause issues like that.
To clarify, I have the gun back and was told that the carbon was fixed by removing all of the carbon and then reapplying the layers.

OP
j_volt

j_volt

WKR
Go on the elk hunt with the 6.5 prc with a good tough bullet selection and be worry free. Otherwise you might be second guessing your equipment the whole hunt.
I agree with you. Confidence is important! I am running the 156 Bergers.

Reactions: WKR

Macintosh

WKR
I’d think Bartlein might be able to provide the best advice. Have you called them?

LoggerDan

WKR
After the umpteenth thread about “custom” guns not shooting for shit after several thousands of dollars and send backs, I sure am glad I hunt with off the rack rifles. Messenger Winchester has never let me down, ever.

Sagewind

FNG
You have an interesting problem! Perhaps Bartlein can get you sorted out before your hunt.
By your profile picture you are an experienced elk hunter. Your custom rifle shoots a 3 round string at MOA or less. I understand that confidence is a real consideration, but I can’t see a probability of needing shots 4-6. If you can’t get past the admittedly odd performance of your new rifle, take your 6.5 PRC. It’s your hunt, not the outfitters. Best of luck, be interesting to know how you resolve your issue.

Tullis94

WKR
If it were me I would call Bartlein and see what they say. After that, if they don't have any advise/resolution, I would ditch the barrel and get a new steel one. A lot of places make prefits for your action. I would also take the 6.5 PRC on the elk hunt. If rockslide has taught me anything, it is that bullet selection matters more than caliber. Good luck, I hope you find a solution!

SDHNTR

WKR
Have you scoped the chamber/barrel? Carbon ring? Any signs of pressure on the faster brass? Are you waiting in between shots with a round chambered?

Unckebob

WKR
This happens when shooting without a break. Between strings I will run a barrel cooler and give it ~15 minutes. I agree it’s a heat issue. Perhaps I’m expecting too much out of this rifle?

Serious question. Are you going to shoot more than three shots at the same Elk (or other game animal)? If no, you have a sub-Moa hunting gun that throws an enormous bullet at animals @3000 fps. IMO - that is perfectly acceptable in a hunting weight rifle in a large magnum caliber.

OP
j_volt

j_volt

WKR
Serious question. Are you going to shoot more than three shots at the same Elk (or other game animal)? If no, you have a sub-Moa hunting gun that throws an enormous bullet at animals @3000 fps. IMO - that is perfectly acceptable in a hunting weight rifle in a large magnum caliber.
No, the plan would never be to need more shots. If that is the limit of the gun and the extent of the problem, that is fine. However, I worry that this is a symptom of a bigger problem that could expose itself in a hunting situation.

I don’t drive over 80mph often, but I’d be concerned if my truck topped out at 80.

OP
j_volt

j_volt

WKR
Have you scoped the chamber/barrel? Carbon ring? Any signs of pressure on the faster brass? Are you waiting in between shots with a round chambered?
I have not had the barrel scoped. No signs of pressure on the faster shot. In this instance, I’m not waiting much at all. When cooling between strings, I do not have a round chambered.

Unckebob

WKR
No, the plan would never be to need more shots. If that is the limit of the gun and the extent of the problem, that is fine. However, I worry that this is a symptom of a bigger problem that could expose itself in a hunting situation.

I don’t drive over 80mph often, but I’d be concerned if my truck topped out at 80.

If everything else is working fine, it is a barrel heating issue, but not a surprising one given the massive amount of powder they burn. You have proven the gun is repeatedly accurate for 3

Unless you went with a heavier profile barrel, I doubt you would see much change in performance by simply swapping barrels.

My spin on your analogy. The Formula 1 race cars are the best race cars in the world. When they come off the track, there are crew members who immediately try to force cold air into the intakes with blowers to cool them down.

Imo - you have a screaming fast race car. It never does 80mph. It always goes 200 mph.

Fast = > Heat => need for time to cool the barrel.

Last edited: