Help me! Rifle Troubles

jimh406

WKR
Essentially, from a cold bore using 225 ELDM loaded by Unknown Munitions, I can get 3 shots right around 2960 FPS sub MOA, and then the speed will increase to 3030+ and the group will open up drastically.
I don't see this as a significant issue unless you think you are going to miss 3 times with the 300 PRC in a row, or want to practice with that particular rifle a lot and don't want to wait for the barrel to cool down.

I also don't think it's that abnormal for a point of impact shift with any carbon barrel and of course, it would be worse with a very hot round like a 300 PRC that's burning a lot of powder.

If you want to shoot more than 3 shots without the barrel cooling down, I'd have it rebarreled to a steel heavy barrel. But, I wouldn't do anything other than give the barrel to cool down when practicing and go hunting.

OP
j_volt

j_volt

WKR
I don't see this as a significant issue unless you think you are going to miss 3 times with the 300 PRC in a row, or want to practice with that particular rifle a lot and don't want to wait for the barrel to cool down.

I also don't think it's that abnormal for a point of impact shift with any carbon barrel and of course, it would be worse with a very hot round like a 300 PRC that's burning a lot of powder.

If you want to shoot more than 3 shots without the barrel cooling down, I'd have it rebarreled to a steel heavy barrel. But, I wouldn't do anything other than give the barrel to cool down when practicing and go hunting.
I hear what you’re saying, but things do happen that could result in more shots than what is ideal. Also, the length of time to wait for a rifle to cool down is pretty subjective. When practicing, I can find myself asking if I missed because I suck, I didn’t dial for enough wind, or because the gun hadn’t cooled off enough.

Cynoscion

Lil-Rokslider
For what it’s worth, I have a Christensen Ridgeline in .300 PRC shooting Unknown’s 215 Hybrids and I can shoot as many as my shoulder can take without letting the barrel cool and not see major shifts in POI.
I also own a 6.5 PRC with a Bartlein #4 CF barrel shooting Unknown’s 156 EOL’s and it will do the same.
There is definitely something wrong with that barrel.

BjornF16

WKR
Something is not quite right.

I hear what you’re saying, but things do happen that could result in more shots than what is ideal. Also, the length of time to wait for a rifle to cool down is pretty subjective. When practicing, I can find myself asking if I missed because I suck, I didn’t dial for enough wind, or because the gun hadn’t cooled off enough.
Dial for wind?

jimh406

WKR
Fwiw, the amount of pressure/heat generated can vary by what powder is used. Also, there could be a difference in brand of barrel from one carbon to the next.

Something may not be right with the barrel, but it could also be the load that might be contributing. If you think there is any possibility it's the load, maybe it's worth trying a box of factory ammo if you haven't.