Help me scope my Savage LW Storm 7mm-08

Picked up a new lightweight hunting rifle the other day, and I can already tell I'm going to love it. It's shooting lights-out and at just 6.4 lbs. scoped, it's a joy to carry.

Right now, I have a 2-7x33 Leupold with the hard to find LR Duplex reticle on it (9.9 oz.). It's a great little scope, but now that I've seen what this rifle is capable of on the range, I'm prepared to spend a little more $ scoping it. The 2-7x33 will be a great fit for my muzzleloader.

Although I'm a Leupold fan, I can't think of any other Leupold I'd rather have. I've tried the VX-3i both CDS and standard duplex, and neither were for me. I prefer ballistic reticles over dialing and I despise the standard Leupold duplex as I find it nearly worthless for holdover purposes with it's too-gradual taper and 4 MOA opening.

I'd like to keep it lightweight. 13 oz. would be my upper limit.

Scopes I'm looking at:

SWFA Ultralight 2.5-10x32 w/ ballistic reticle
Swaro Z3 3-9x36 w/plex or 4A reticle
Vortex Razor 1.5-8x32 LH w/ bdc reticle

What else should I be considering?

OP
Newtosavage
Burris Fullfield 2, 3-9x40, ballistic plex, 13 oz. - and cheap to boot??
We think alike. I found one on sale for $130 the other day, and it's in the mail as we speak. I shot the smallest group of my life at 400 yards with a FFII on my Tikka. Best scope for the $ I know of. Only give up a hair of eye relief and FOV to my Leupys, but not really anything else. Better reticle too.

I'm going to try the FFII on my LWS and see how I like it. I'm guessing I will. If not, no biggie. I'm sure I can get what I paid for it.

wyosam

WKR
Yeah I don't know why they don't have a 3 and a 8 in there, to me that would take it up a level.

I think anything under 5 would just clutter it up, but a split between 5 and 10 would be nice. In my mind, it’s a 12 ounce scope, meant to go on a light hunting rifle, and it works great on game at “normal” distance. There are far better options for longer range work, and adding some ounces has other benefits for that. I have found mine to dial reliably, though I’ll likely never do that in the field.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MThuntr

WKR
Doesn't the SWFA 2.5-10 has some major eye relief problems? Maybe that's changed

I'm a fan of the VX3 3.5-10x40 for an all around scope that's easy on the budget...12.6oz
VX3i 4.5-14x40 (1inch tube) is right at 13oz (I think the 30mm tube gets to 16ish)

JakeSCH

WKR
I think anything under 5 would just clutter it up, but a split between 5 and 10 would be nice. In my mind, it’s a 12 ounce scope, meant to go on a light hunting rifle, and it works great on game at “normal” distance. There are far better options for longer range work, and adding some ounces has other benefits for that. I have found mine to dial reliably, though I’ll likely never do that in the field.

For sure, if I was going to buy that scope I would plan on only using it for MPBR. I am tempted to do that combo with those new absolute hammers in my 6.5 PRC.

OP
Newtosavage
We think alike. I found one on sale for $130 the other day, and it's in the mail as we speak. I shot the smallest group of my life at 400 yards with a FFII on my Tikka. Best scope for the $ I know of. Only give up a hair of eye relief and FOV to my Leupys, but not really anything else. Better reticle too.

I'm going to try the FFII on my LWS and see how I like it. I'm guessing I will. If not, no biggie. I'm sure I can get what I paid for it.
Dammit. Got an email saying they are no longer in stock and asking if I wanted to cancel my order. LOL I guess a $130 FFII was too much to ask. Oh well. Back to plan .... uh.... whatever it was! :D

OP
Newtosavage
Doesn't the SWFA 2.5-10 has some major eye relief problems? Maybe that's changed

I'm a fan of the VX3 3.5-10x40 for an all around scope that's easy on the budget...12.6oz
VX3i 4.5-14x40 (1inch tube) is right at 13oz (I think the 30mm tube gets to 16ish)
Some folks see the SWFA ultralight as having eye relief problems, others don't. I wish I had one to look at because I'm not willing to spend $400 to find out.

I had a VX-3i in 3.5-10x40 and I wasn't that impressed. Again, the 4 MOA Leupold duplex is worse than useless to me.

OP
Newtosavage

The trouble is that 5/10/20 is useful for no practical hunting cartridge I can think of. So if it is meant for a light hunting rifle, the totally missed the mark on the BR.

bbell

WKR
I just got the SWFA ultralight on my ar15 Grendel. Hopefully will get it sighted in next week. I turned it to 10x and mounted it where it was comfortable. It is a little position sensitive at 10x but nothing bad, at least for me. I am able to mount it and get a good sight picture quickly. For my eyes 6x and down it was a non issue at all.
If I can get the scope comfortable at the highest power the lower ones almost never seem to be an issue. Just my 2cents on the eye relief.
Brandon