Herd protection

Lowg08

WKR
Does anyone practice whitetail herd protection by trapping or hunting any animals that might have an effect on the mortality rate. I’m thinking of being proactive in this area

Yes.

Coyote trapping. Not sure it makes a huge difference in my area. But I do enjoy trapping some coyotes.

We have plenty of deer in the farm country.

OP
Lowg08

Lowg08

WKR
Our herd struggles in WNC we have more coyotes than deer. We’ve started trapping this year. Not sure if is going to help

Timing of the trapping is the biggest thing. I have seen studies that show that heavier hunting/trapping of coyotes leads to a higher reproduction rate. I'd concentrate trapping in the later part of the winter and if legal continue all the way into June if necessary.

Also be wary of educating them. Concentrate on good sets rather than many sets.

Research has shown coyote extermination just means other coyotes move into the area.
Not saying don’t do it, and have fun doing it, but don’t lose a ton of sleep over it.

Research also suggests coyotes have just a small affect on fawn recruitment and weather is a player as much as predation.

I would focus more on fawn habitat and if that’s good, then go after predators.

OP
Lowg08

Lowg08

WKR
Shoot we need a crap ton of improvement here. We are just now regaining a decent population.

Research has shown coyote extermination just means other coyotes move into the area.
Not saying don’t do it, and have fun doing it, but don’t lose a ton of sleep over it.

Research also suggests coyotes have just a small affect on fawn recruitment and weather is a player as much as predation.

I would focus more on fawn habitat and if that’s good, then go after predators.
Research has also shown that killing coyotes disrupts the pack hierarchy and the females produce larger litters in response.

OP
Lowg08

Lowg08

WKR
Now that sucks cause I have a male and female down here curing out. Ah I didn’t know all that.

Think of it as carrying capacity. If you kill off some coyotes the number is low is higher nature will respond by increasing to CC, that can happen with increased brood or immigration.
If CC is low and numbers are high, brood survival is going to be lower due to lack of food supply.
Might not necessarily be the females increase litter size, but the recruitment into the CC is increased when numbers are low.