Ear protection while hunting with muzzle brake

What are you all using for ear pro? I’m going to sight my 300wsm mountain pro in for hunting with brake and then remove brake and re zero. But I’m also thinking just run the thing with the brake and get decent hearring protection. Any thought process to this or recommendations. Thanks in advance I should note I’ll be elk hunting in deep timber.

Loo.wii

WKR
Foamies

Cheap and it doesn’t matter if you lose them.

Do the roll and insert method .

Your hearing is worth much more than a dead animal

atmat

WKR
What are you all using for ear pro? I’m going to sight my 300wsm mountain pro in for hunting with brake and then remove brake and re zero. But I’m also thinking just run the thing with the brake and get decent hearring protection. Any thought process to this or recommendations. Thanks in advance I should note I’ll be elk hunting in deep timber.
By and large there is no hearing safe option for a braked magnum. You can use foam ear plugs with earmuffs over them — but even that’s not an ideal option. I would avoid using the brake, and would strongly recommend looking into suppressors.

OP
Jordan5452
I’d love to have that suppressor option, but I’m in canada and those are illegal up here unfortunetly! I guess I’ll be removing the brake

jimh406

WKR
I’d recommend ear protection either way. There are some brakes that aren’t quite as loud. Maybe you can split the difference.

I prefer the headband type as well.

I've got plugs that are on a small cord. They roll up in a small coil in a plastic holder that fits in a pocket of my bino harness. Better than nothing in the field but foamies w/ear muffs at the range.

I'm debating the same thing this year with my browning 300wsm. Factory radial, side port, no brake, or go suppressed if it shows up. Problem is then the barrel seems awfully long to me at 23in already plus almost 2oz extra in a big ass adapter for the browning metric threads. I've actually thought about getting the barrel chopped to right in front of the flutes, so maybe an inch off but then have standard 1/2x28 threads. Not sure if that's worth my hassle and money at the moment. So you're not alone with this dilemma lol

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

atmat

WKR
I'm debating the same thing this year with my browning 300wsm. Factory radial, side port, no brake, or go suppressed if it shows up. Problem is then the barrel seems awfully long to me at 23in already plus almost 2oz extra in a big ass adapter for the browning metric threads. I've actually thought about getting the barrel chopped to right in front of the flutes, so maybe an inch off but then have standard 1/2x28 threads. Not sure if that's worth my hassle and money at the moment. So you're not alone with this dilemma lol

$125 to save a couple inches and ounces, while having more normalized thread options? Seems like a winner.

zrodwyo

Lil-Rokslider
+1 on the ones with the band. Put them on in the morning and just leave them around your neck all day. They won’t come off and are not noticeable.

It takes just a second deploy.

CobraChicken

Lil-Rokslider
I'm ordering a suppressor before the years end. Hope for some deals on black friday.

Otherwise I shoot a 300 wby with a big nasty brake on it and just use the standard neck band orange ear pro. Works just fine and hangs around my neck. I don't want anything else to charge or electronic in the woods.

Shot that thing without a brake for years. I like to target shoot and it's nice to have recoil reduction for extended sessions in that caliber.

Otto Noizebarrier Micro in ear plugs. They come in a small carry case that also recharges them, then you later recharge the case with USB connection after about 20 recharges of the ear plugs. Ear plugs last about 12 hours before you need to recharge them. 2 settings, regular and enhanced. All day comfort. Blocks loud noises (gunshots), but you can hear normal sounds. LEO/First responder discounts too. Excellent customer service.
I considered a suppressor, but have heard that I would still need ear protection because I shoot a .340 Weatherby. Also since I have a 24 inch barrel, adding the extra length and weight of a suppressor to the rifle to hump for a 5 day hunt makes it a little more to carry. The ear plugs weigh almost nothing, and are all day comfortable.

Last edited:

Laramie

WKR
I wear a ball cap 99% of the time in the field so I just keep a pair of these attached to the adjustment strap on the hat. That way, I always have them. Super easy to pop in right before the shot.
1692799942342.png

Be careful with the solid banded style. If they are resting on your gun stock just right at the shot, it is pretty painful. I learned this the hard way.

Axil extreme GS earbuds are your friend. I work in construction and they are by far some of the best ear pro that also lets ambient noise in.

They fit comfortably under ear muffs if your looking to double up and are super comfy.

I literally can't recommend them enough.

$125 to save a couple inches and ounces, while having more normalized thread options? Seems like a winner.
My lgs charges 180 to cut and thread. But yeah its either that or I just run it the way it is with a brake or no brake. Problem is, I know I'll want to screw that can on lol. Just sort of depends if it'll be here in time before the end of Oct