High Country Gear Recommendations/Q’s

Not all high country hunters wear expensive boots….

Or unless I need crampons and the ice axes that accompany them - in early season I will be in tennis shoes. I have transitioned from Solomon speed cross to hoka speed goat gtx..

I have had great luck with Meindl boots from Cabelas. One pair would last for at least 2 10 day hunts in AK.

Any brands you recommend?
Good news! A puffy is one thing you don’t have to do a bunch of research on. It’s just a down insulated polyester jacket. Mine is a Cabelas brand. Just make sure it’s real down. Feathers not synthetic stuff.

Not all high country hunters wear expensive boots….

Or unless I need crampons and the ice axes that accompany them - in early season I will be in tennis shoes. I have transitioned from Solomon speed cross to hoka speed goat gtx..
I totally agree with this. I will add that wearing shoes without ankle support as much as you can will help prevent injuries all year long as they allow movement required to strengthen your ankles and feet to a degree that is not possible in a taller boot. Having your ankle immobile makes knee injuries more likely.

I personally use saucony peragrine shoes. For boots I use a stiffer climbing style boot that is comfortable with crampons. My go-tos are Salewa, Scarpa, and la sportiva. The down side of wearing shoes a lot is your feet don’t get toughened up and you will be more prone to blistering when the boots are used. As has been mentioned fit and quality is most important. More expensive gear is often cheaper in the long run.

For packs I’m a big Kifaru fan, for sleeping bags I generally use feathered friends.

Back