High fence “private game preserve”!?

Yoder

WKR
The citizens of each state own the animals. If you high fence your property and trap the animals inside, it's stealing. You should have to either leave a way out or remove all the animals before you fence in the land and buy your own.

Yoder

WKR
If I all ready own the animal, why do I have to buy a tag before I can shoot it?
I don't think you should have to buy a tag, it's pretty much a pet or livestock. How do deer farms work? You don't need a tag to kill them there.

hicountry1

Lil-Rokslider
I've been to one high fence outfit. About 20 guys from 24hourcampfire.com got together and went on a hog hunt in Tennessee.

It was 2k acres under a high fence. They also had exotics, elk, WT and bison.

We were given an option on how to hunt the hogs....over feeders in stands, or on foot.

Pretty much all of us went the on foot route, and it was a blast. I probably hiked 5+ miles all over their property before I got a shot at a hog. Big ridges/small mtns.

We made it a challenge, and it was. The hogs weren't standing around.

However, we passes elk. Exotics, and bison that were just grazing in fields.

Honestly, they would have been a 5 min hunt.

We had a blast, but, we also made it a challenge.

I couldn't hunt the other animals in a setup like that, because they pretty much just stood there when you walked by them.

YMMV......

jmez

WKR
I've been on several high fence ranches eradicating hogs. I don't have a problem with them, have no desire to pay to hunt on one. There would not have been much to any challenge shooting game with a rifle on them.

The fences matter, to pretend they don't is ignorant. If they didn't, matter why build them, they aren't cheap.

Sent from my moto g power 5G - 2023 using Tapatalk

Pacific_Fork

Well Known Rokslider
Its truly baffling that some "hunters" here take no issue with turning deer and elk into livestock like F'n cattle.

Cattle have been domesticated for thousands of years. Deer and Elk are wild animals and should roam freely. Seeing farmed elk burger on the local bar menu is the dumbest thing.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Since “citizens own the animals” has been brought up a couple times I have a couple questions. Wouldn’t that vary by state? Don’t states differentiate between wildlife, exotic, invasive species and live stock?

ethan

WKR
Honestly, why is it different from any other farming?

It's certainly not my thing, but if people want to spend their money to go do it, I don't really care.

Any other type of farming doesn't involve "taking an animals life for sport", and there aren't large, well funded, organized and ignorant groups of people actively trying to take away said farming practices. If we as hunters do not police our own ranks, those in society that do not hunt certainly will. Why make it easier for the opposition?

jmez

WKR
Some caveman decided to domesticate cattle instead of elk thousands of years ago. This bestows some sort of special privilege to elk?

Sent from my moto g power 5G - 2023 using Tapatalk

Any other type of farming doesn't involve "taking an animals life for sport", and there aren't large, well funded, organized and ignorant groups of people actively trying to take away said farming practices. If we as hunters do not police our own ranks, those in society that do not hunt certainly will. Why make it easier for the opposition?

So it's taking an animals life for sport that you are drawing the line at?

That's a scary one to me. I believe most any hunt can be classified as that, otherwise everyone would be raising their own food, it's more efficient.

And I get why you want to hunt for your meat, buy you can't honestly think it's sustainable for everyone to do thar right?

ethan

WKR
So it's taking an animals life for sport that you are drawing the line at?

That's a scary one to me. I believe most any hunt can be classified as that, otherwise everyone would be raising their own food, it's more efficient.

And I get why you want to hunt for your meat, buy you can't honestly think it's sustainable for everyone to do thar right?
I absolutely don’t think it’s sustainable for everyone to hunt. And I don’t really make a distinction as to “sport” or whatever when I hunt, I hunt because I have all of my life and because I love to. But, like it or not, less than 10% of our population hunts, less than 10% of our population is anti hunting… the other 80% doesn’t really care BUT they do have the ability to impact our ability to hunt. So I think it’s really important that we as hunters do so ethically and responsibly and be as good of an examples as we can. Guys paying to walk inside a fence and shoot a caged animal does not portray us in a good way. That simply isn’t hunting and I don’t think we should pretend it is.

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor
I absolutely don’t think it’s sustainable for everyone to hunt. And I don’t really make a distinction as to “sport” or whatever when I hunt, I hunt because I have all of my life and because I love to. But, like it or not, less than 10% of our population hunts, less than 10% of our population is anti hunting… the other 80% doesn’t really care BUT they do have the ability to impact our ability to hunt. So I think it’s really important that we as hunters do so ethically and responsibly and be as good of an examples as we can. Guys paying to walk inside a fence and shoot a caged animal does not portray us in a good way. That simply isn’t hunting and I don’t think we should pretend it is.

Its my opinion,
hunting poor kitty cats and doggies doesnt potray us in a good way.
Neither those houndsmen that chase animals down and torture them with dogs.
Dont even get me started on those guys who chase bambit with dogs.

See where I'm going with this?

ethan

WKR
Its my opinion,
hunting poor kitty cats and doggies doesnt potray us in a good way.
Neither those houndsmen that chase animals down and torture them with dogs.
Dont even get me started on those guys who chase bambit with dogs.

See where I'm going with this?
Totally see where you’re going, and it’s a solid point! But I think once you get into the high fence hunting realm, conservation, management, fair chase… all of that goes out the window and you get into dangerous territory and killing for the sake of killing. That why both P&Y and B&C don’t recognize it as fair chase. Everyone has their opinion on it, but personally I don’t think its hunting at all.

So what about someone shooting an animal in a trap?

Or what about bowhunting? I'm sure a lot of people think that is a lot more inhumane than rifle hunting.

I think we mostly agree. I believe hunters need to be very careful of how the public perceives us. Social media is putting so much out there to people who aren't otherwise exposed to it, a lot of it isn't good. Influencers have found a new kind of market hunting, and the more clicks the more $. Controversy pays. Different subject, but kinda where this is heading.

I just don't view stuff inside a fence as any different than livestock. I don't think anyone getting upset over someone shooting a deer much cares which side of a fence they are on.

ethan

WKR

Or what about bowhunting? I'm sure a lot of people think that is a lot more inhumane than rifle hunting.

I think we mostly agree. I believe hunters need to be very careful of how the public perceives us. Social media is putting so much out there to people who aren't otherwise exposed to it, a lot of it isn't good. Influencers have found a new kind of market hunting, and the more clicks the more $. Controversy pays. Different subject, but kinda where this is heading.

I just don't view stuff inside a fence as any different than livestock. I don't think anyone getting upset over someone shooting a deer much cares which side of a fence they are on.
Again, from my perspective and in my opinion when hunting, trapping, etc… can stand on conservation and management as a tool it gives us a legitimate keg to stand on. When it’s basically livestock inside a fence, none of that applies. At that point it’s just killing to kill. If that is how someone chooses to procure their meat or whatever, that’s on them. But I whole heartedly don’t think anyone should pretend it’s the same as fair chase pursuit of wild animals.

ethan

WKR

And I agree that we mostly agree. I also agree that social media is doing a fantastic job of making hunters look like d-bags!

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor
high fence hunting realm, conservation, management, fair chase…

Actually 2 of those 3 things are INCREASED with high fence.
Managment and Conservation are increased.
Fair Chase is arguable. Ill keep my opinions here to myself. I dont disparage other hunters.

But I whole heartedly don’t think anyone should pretend it’s the same as fair chase pursuit of wild animals.

I don't think anyone is trying to say that.

At least I'm not. I think there's areas where it can be. But 1k acres with some elk on it, they ain't getting away from you. That's all for genetic management. But you get a few sections fenced, it's getting a lot more like free range. I'm sure most who hunt Africa would call it fair chase, don't know I haven't been.

MTtrout

WKR
High fence hunting = emotions

I’ve eradicated invasive animals (or I mean killed a bunch with no end in sight) that have escaped from these poorly unregulated facilities and have also dealt with shooting actual wildlife where zoonotic diseases have transferred to wildlife from these facilities for work. I get that Texas and some other states have their gig with large acreage fences but sounds like you still buy and trade animal.

Hard no!