Need Advice: CO High Fence Meat Hunt - Cow Elk vs Buffalo?

KGP1603

FNG
Greetings everyone. I am new to the forum. I live in Denver and ate tag soup last elk season here in Colorado. I work in healthcare and had a lot less time in the woods than usual because of the high volumes from COVID (yay). As a result, I have a bad case of empty freezer syndrome.

I'd like to go on a meat hunt and because my schedule is so limited was considering doing something that I'd never been interested in the past: high fence hunting cow elk or bison. I acknowledge this topic is likely polarizing between high fence, private herds and the fact that shooting tamed bison isn't really hunting. I'd would appreciate the forum's insight into my situation however and would be grateful if those who don't like the topic simply refrain from commenting.

I have found 3 private ranches in CO with the potential to work with my dates.
High Fence Cow Elk (non-guaranteed) $3k for 3 days/4 nights with a guide.
High Fence Bison Heifer $3k for 2 days/1 night (essentially guaranteed)
High Fence Bison Heifer $3.5k for 3 days/2 nights including skinning, quartering and cooling (they mention it so I included it, not particularly worried about field dressing).
- There is another outfit that potentially has "mature" cow elk "guaranteed" for $3k, I am just not sure about date availability.

With the following priorities in mind, what would you suggest I do?
1. Meat - quality meat/price = value
2. Freezer Filling Odds (would do less fun hunt to ensure I have meat for the next year)
3. Hunting experience (if cow elk would likely do rifle, if bison likely bow given ease and lower risk of meat damage)

Thank you for your thoughts and insight.

11boo

WKR
I might just be doing a bison meat hunt myself, would the meat be better after they graze all summer vs hay fed all winter?

I think rifle for bison vs bow. Figure out where a neck shot would be an anchor shot.

OP
KGP1603

KGP1603

FNG
I am also curious about that 11boo.

I think part of why I am so conflicted is I really do value the hunting aspect of it and fully acknowledge that comes with a high risk of going home empty handed. I love the backcountry camping, glassing, hiking and packing out aspects of western hunts. I just won't be able to do that this spring though trying like hell to make it happen this fall. My initial preference was to do a public spring bear hunt in Arizona or Idaho but with work schedule just won't be able to make it happen.

I also worry about cow elk because I have a hard time telling which ones have been bred and its not too far away from calving season. Admittedly this perspective is more relevant to public land hunts with wild herds but I am having trouble shaking it.

Looking at additional elements other than just meat is what else can be obtained from the hunt - for cow elk there is more of the hunting experience, with bison there is the potential for a hide that I can have tanned and use for decoration and warmth.

Definitely leaning bison but am curious what those who have experience with both types of "hunts" think. Thanks for your input.

Whisky

WKR
My vote is also for Bison, but since meat quality is your highest priority, I would chose rifle over bow, and get proficient enough to do a CNS head/brain shot. I've helped out a bison operation in my neck of the woods before. Generally you can drive up to the herd, and have a 100-200 yd shot. If you don't make a CNS shot, or the animal doesn't immediately die, it will disappear back into the herd and you could spend the rest of the day just trying to re-locate "your" animal for a follow up. I guarantee you meat quality just went down significantly.

ETA: bison robe would be best from a Fall killed animal. They are shit in the Spring.

CorbLand

WKR
If it is all about meat, I dont know about where you are but a full beef is about 1200 bucks cut and wrapped around these parts. It would be way more cost efficient to do that than kill a buffalo. Hell, reach out to wildbisonranch.com and see what they charge per pound.

freedomhunter25

Lil-Rokslider
Bison , AND trust me , if they will help field dress and butcher and cool . THATS A PLUS . That animal is a fing chore , lol . Bison is fantastic meat. Shit, look at Aron Snyder , he can kill anything, anywhere , anytime , unlimited hunts from back country to home lands . Greatest Hunter out there in my opinion . And he even pays for buffalo hunts for the meat . Great option . Good luck .

I would go bison for price/lb compared to the cow elk and meat quality. Bison meat is different though if a person isn't used to it - typically not an issue for people used to eating lean wild game. I grew up in a butcher shop and was sent out to shoot a couple dozen bison. I would use a .222 usually getting to 20-40 yds and shoot em between the eyes. Shackle the legs and bleed em out.

Not sure where you live, but I got a few prices for a whole hog last week and a dressed whole hog that I pick up and process was between $900 - $1,300. Checked beef prices out of curiosity and half a beef was about $2,000 dressed. So at least where I'm at, it's much cheaper to do what you plan on doing. It's exactly what I would do in your situation. And if the main goal is meat in the freezer, no shame in going the guarantee route!

Ucsdryder

WKR
Can’t imagine going on a high fence cow hunt as a Colorado resident. Agreed with others, go on a bison hunt, shoot it in the head, and shoot the biggest heifer they have.

Ucsdryder

WKR
Bison , AND trust me , if they will help field dress and butcher and cool . THATS A PLUS . That animal is a fing chore , lol . Bison is fantastic meat. Shit, look at Aron Snyder , he can kill anything, anywhere , anytime , unlimited hunts from back country to home lands . Greatest Hunter out there in my opinion . And he even pays for buffalo hunts for the meat . Great option . Good luck .
Easy, you’re getting yourself all worked up and excited. 😂

wytx

WKR
Find you an exotic hunt in Texas , low fence. No closed season on exotics and license is cheap.
I hear Nilgai is awesome and maybe a free range cow nilgai hunt would work out at a cheaper price than a high fence elk or bison.

Otherwise, cow bison and yes the field dressing is well worth the price of the service.

This is interesting to me. Something I'm not familiar with I guess. The quoted prices seem really high to me for basically just trying to fill a freezer. I'm in the boat of buying a half a beef and save your money, make a different trip for a few days.

Personally I don't see any enjoyment in a high fence hunt. I haven't done it, so maybe I'm passing judgement too soon. I was excited to go on a hog hunt, once I did it I have no desire to do it again. Maybe I'm just different.

Don't know how much meat you get from a bison heifer, but I'm assuming it's 3 times a cow elk, so it definitely seems like a better buy.