Need Advice: CO High Fence Meat Hunt - Cow Elk vs Buffalo?

half a beef cost me $1200 this year I wasn't really impressed with the amount of meat or quality.

Bison 100%. Get the hide tanned, too.
agree on both accounts. if i ever were to "hunt" a high fence, it would be something BIG like a bison, or something i could shoot a bunch of. i have considered looking into doe culls... don't care about a fence or not, would just like to bring home a lot of meat if i ever pay someone to hunt, and get a lot of trigger time... don't even know if that's a thing, but i do plan on looking into it down the road.

i would way rather shoot 4 does than one buck if the price was the same or similar

Another vote for Bison if you go that route.

Although I will echo what most people are saying here and recommend purchasing a cow. You can get an entire Scottish Highlands cow (approx 400 lbs of beef) that was born and raised on a ranch in the mountains of Colorado for $3k and you wouldn't have to butcher or package anything.

MJB

WKR
Bison with the rifle but bring the bow you never know what you'll run into.

Hope you have a big freezer!

My dad drew the AZ bison tag one year in the early 70's we ate bison for 3 years.
After 3 yrs beef was really greasy.

WCB

WKR
I am also curious about that 11boo.

I think part of why I am so conflicted is I really do value the hunting aspect of it and fully acknowledge that comes with a high risk of going home empty handed. I love the backcountry camping, glassing, hiking and packing out aspects of western hunts. I just won't be able to do that this spring though trying like hell to make it happen this fall. My initial preference was to do a public spring bear hunt in Arizona or Idaho but with work schedule just won't be able to make it happen.

I also worry about cow elk because I have a hard time telling which ones have been bred and its not too far away from calving season. Admittedly this perspective is more relevant to public land hunts with wild herds but I am having trouble shaking it.

Looking at additional elements other than just meat is what else can be obtained from the hunt - for cow elk there is more of the hunting experience, with bison there is the potential for a hide that I can have tanned and use for decoration and warmth.

Definitely leaning bison but am curious what those who have experience with both types of "hunts" think. Thanks for your input.
Not sure how you can have a high fenced cow elk hunt and basically not guarantee it. There can not be that big of a high fenced area in CO. With that said....drop any idea of a hunt. You are essentially buying an animal and killing it. My wife and I shot a couple Arapawa rams in New Zealand that were behind a fence. They were actually fairly difficult to find (for a couple hours) and spooky once we got on them but It was basically can I hit what I am aiming at. Not a "hunt" by any means but a couple of cool hides for the couches and a couple skulls on the table (we ate meat that night and the rest went to a local family). It is what it is.

Go bison 100%...great meat, more for your money, and like you said get a cool hide and skull. Or as others have said buy a cow cut and wrapped and probably save money and time.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I thought CO banned elk ranches here a few years ago.

I wouldn't pay $3k to shoot anything in CO behind a high fence. A TX Kudu with a bow.......maybe. I knew a guy in WY that raised buffalo, and never took advantage of that either. If I did, I'd definitely use the bow.......a little BH and arrow testing......penetration, etc.

tdhanses

WKR
half a beef cost me $1200 this year I wasn't really impressed with the amount of meat or quality.
That’s cheap, my 1/4 processed was $800 @ $3.95/lb hanging weight, $85 kill fee and $0.86/lb to process.

I think a Bison would almost be double the hanging weight of a beef, maybe I’m wrong.

OP
KGP1603

KGP1603

FNG
I’m grateful for everyone’s input. I will be planning for a bison bow hunt, primarily because I enjoy shooting my bow more than my rifle.

I called a taxidermist in my area who said bison hides are generally in good condition until the temperatures warm and the animals start rubbing so a decent quality hide is possible (though not cheap! $850 for tanning!).

I hear everyone’s suggestions about buying a cow and agree that sounds potentially cheaper. I do prefer bison meat to beef and the added benefit of a cape and skull are worth the difference in price to me.

I’m grateful for everyone’s input. I will be planning for a bison bow hunt, primarily because I enjoy shooting my bow more than my rifle.

I called a taxidermist in my area who said bison hides are generally in good condition until the temperatures warm and the animals start rubbing so a decent quality hide is possible (though not cheap! $850 for tanning!).

I hear everyone’s suggestions about buying a cow and agree that sounds potentially cheaper. I do prefer bison meat to beef and the added benefit of a cape and skull are worth the difference in price to me.

If there is a tannery in your area it’s often cheaper to ship or bring the hide directly to them. If you go thru a taxidermist they just act as a middle man to ship your hide for you and charge you for their time on top of what the tannery charges.

OP, perhaps a foolish question, but what about just buying a whole or half bison from a direct to consumer bison ranch? If that's an option, it looked like Google offered several to choose from, bigger score if they offered locker/ butchering services too.

OP
KGP1603

KGP1603

FNG
Thanks for a great tannery suggestion. I plan on calling them. Their rates are excellent but I worry the savings will be totally offset by the shipping costs. A fresh/salted and defleshed bison hide is heavy!

wytx

WKR
Yep, Moyle is the best bet for a bison hide tanning. They've done 3 for us.
Skin carefully and the fleshing is not hard, salting takes about 2-4 days depending on humidity.
Shipping is the real cost when sending a big hide to Moyle's.
$510 for a full hide at Moyles. Fleshing is not worth $250 or more , imo from your taxi.

If it is all about meat, I dont know about where you are but a full beef is about 1200 bucks cut and wrapped around these parts. It would be way more cost efficient to do that than kill a buffalo. Hell, reach out to wildbisonranch.com and see what they charge per pound.

Where are you buying beef cause I need in on that deal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
KGP1603

KGP1603

FNG
Northern Utah. I did price that back the end of 2020, first part of 2021 so maybe it has shot up since then.
Do you remember who you got it from. Here in Colorado I can’t find a full beef for less than $3k. I still plan on doing the bison hunt but this seems like a great way to get a lot of meat instead of Costco.