Hiking Distance

jolemons

WKR
Imo opinion you're more likely to find pressured elk in CO higher than deeper.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I solo hunt most years and do between 6-12 miles a day depending on terrain. I always try to keep myself no further than three miles from a road. I killed a bull solo one time, was over 5 miles away from the truck and I swore I would not do that again. Hard on the body and got lucky with temps that the meat didn’t spoil. Important to think that part through before getting one on the ground.

If you have pack animals all is good, but if you and your wife are legging it then UCS is dead-on.

We go back 6 miles or so with goats or a horse to carry meat out; but if we are on our own, 2 or 3 miles is just about right to get away from the crowd and still self carry meat out.

People can claim they can hump loads all day but the first time you have an elk down in dark timber in a ravine and you have to hump that load up 600 feet over deadfall to get back on a trail before you go 5 more miles you will curse yourself when you realize you have 3 more round trips.

Jimss

WKR
What season and weapon of choice? That can be a change-maker! To be blunt...having your wife along can also be a deal changer.... no matter what shape she is in!

I've been on quite a few dall sheep and mtn goat hunts in Alaska. I would actually say that my successful Colo elk hunts are about 2 to 4 x tougher and more challenging than almost all of my sheep/mtn goat hunts. I can bone and pack out a goat or sheep plus camp in 1 or sometimes 2 trips....definitely not an elk!

I don't think hunters realize how physically challenging elk hunting is in OTC units and the logistics of packing just 1 animal that size out of steep, nasty, remote locations, at high elevation! You definitely want to consider the elevation because altitude sickness isn't any fun! Trying to do too much in too little time can be a mistake if you are a low-lander! As mentioned earlier, the learning curve is mighty high for OTC elk hunts!

Last edited:
OP
B

banded_drake

Lil-Rokslider
What season and weapon of choice? That can be a change-maker! To be blunt...having your wife along can also be a deal changer.... no matter what shape she is in!

I've been on quite a few dall sheep and mtn goat hunts in Alaska. I would actually say that my successful Colo elk hunts are about 2 to 4 x tougher and more challenging than almost all of my sheep/mtn goat hunts. I can bone and pack out a goat or sheep plus camp in 1 or sometimes 2 trips....definitely not an elk!

I don't think hunters realize how physically challenging elk hunting is in OTC units and the logistics of packing just 1 animal that size out of steep, nasty, remote locations, at high elevation! You definitely want to consider the elevation because altitude sickness isn't any fun! Trying to do too much in too little time can be a mistake if you are a low-lander! As mentioned earlier, the learning curve is mighty high for OTC elk hunts!
This is why I came here to ask the question, I'm not up there doing it right now to figure it out first hand, so I reach out to those that have that can help me form a plan. I'm in no way looking to make this trip harder than it already needs to be. I've hiked before in different parts of Texas and 4-6 miles was nothing. Obviously, Colorado, or any other state north for that matter, isn't Texas. I'd much rather be told to find an alternative to just a straight up hike in than to figure it out the hard way. Thank you all for the input

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

WTFJohn

WKR
This is why I came here to ask the question, I'm not up there doing it right now to figure it out first hand, so I reach out to those that have that can help me form a plan. I'm in no way looking to make this trip harder than it already needs to be. I've hiked before in different parts of Texas and 4-6 miles was nothing. Obviously, Colorado, or any other state north for that matter, isn't Texas. I'd much rather be told to find an alternative to just a straight up hike in than to figure it out the hard way. Thank you all for the input

If you want a good idea of what you’re asking; put on 60 lbs of pack weight and go hike stairs at the local track, keeping your heart rate above 110bpm as much as possible. Every second lap back down the stairs, go 400m around the track stepping over hurdles and crawling under them, again with the pack on your back. Do this for 8+ hours, three or more days in a row, eating freeze dried food and water sourced from a bucket that’s been sitting out for a few days. And don’t forget that you’re doing this with 65% of the O2 available at sea level, sleeping on the ground, and dealing with temps and the mental struggles of the backcountry.

Every year there are lots of posts like this, the truth is that 6 miles isn’t shit on flat ground but can be a huge distance in the mountains, I live in Co and have a lot of experience solo hunting and solo backpacking, I will not shoot an elk 6 miles in alone. I would consider it with one other STRONG packer, but that will still be 3 trips minimum including camp. If you go in that far, prepare to walk right on by lots of elk and have a good greeting prepared for the horseback hunters you’ll run into back there.

Carr5vols

WKR

It all depends on what you want in a hunt. For me it's more about being with friends family and "seeing" the country. If I kill it's just a bonus. If you want to go deep and see big country do it just have a plan to get the animal out. Packers are reasonable priced if you can find one. If not have days to get an animal out from deep country. If you want to go in 3 to 5 miles do that and you can get the animal out yourself. There is good hunting to be had at miles in or only a mile in if no one is willing to go down in a drainage after them.

Again do what is going to make the hunt the most enjoyable for YOU.

OP
B

banded_drake

Lil-Rokslider
If you want a good idea of what you’re asking; put on 60 lbs of pack weight and go hike stairs at the local track, keeping your heart rate above 110bpm as much as possible. Every second lap back down the stairs, go 400m around the track stepping over hurdles and crawling under them, again with the pack on your back. Do this for 8+ hours, three or more days in a row, eating freeze dried food and water sourced from a bucket that’s been sitting out for a few days. And don’t forget that you’re doing this with 65% of the O2 available at sea level, sleeping on the ground, and dealing with temps and the mental struggles of the backcountry.

Every year there are lots of posts like this, the truth is that 6 miles isn’t shit on flat ground but can be a huge distance in the mountains, I live in Co and have a lot of experience solo hunting and solo backpacking, I will not shoot an elk 6 miles in alone. I would consider it with one other STRONG packer, but that will still be 3 trips minimum including camp. If you go in that far, prepare to walk right on by lots of elk and have a good greeting prepared for the horseback hunters you’ll run into back there.
I'm not questioning the difficulty of it, I've spent all of my career constantly training and conditioning with 50 lbs of equipment on me in all kinds of scenarios, and it can be tough no doubt, I can only imagine what altitude will add to that. It's tough hunting, I got it, and I know my body's limitations. If I find out a get a couple miles in and I can tell it's wearing me or my partner down, I'm smart enough to make the decision to not push it and go for plan B, C, D, E or F. No big deal. I just wanted a first hand perspective as to what distance should be expected as reasonable for all aspects of the hunt in that kind of terrain. Seems the general consensus is getting an elk out will be tough and many trips. I've never packed an elk out so I wouldnt know. Knowing that now, it helps me gear my plan to something that will be more realistic. Who knows, I may not even have to hike that far in. As many said, there may be an opportunity a lot closer. I can be sure that anywhere I go I'll definitely search high and low the whole way in so that I don't walk by that opportunity

WTFJohn

WKR
I'm not questioning the difficulty of it, I've spent all of my career constantly training and conditioning with 50 lbs of equipment on me in all kinds of scenarios, and it can be tough no doubt, I can only imagine what altitude will add to that. It's tough hunting, I got it, and I know my body's limitations. If I find out a get a couple miles in and I can tell it's wearing me or my partner down, I'm smart enough to make the decision to not push it and go for plan B, C, D, E or F. No big deal. I just wanted a first hand perspective as to what distance should be expected as reasonable for all aspects of the hunt in that kind of terrain. Seems the general consensus is getting an elk out will be tough and many trips. I've never packed an elk out so I wouldnt know. Knowing that now, it helps me gear my plan to something that will be more realistic. Who knows, I may not even have to hike that far in. As many said, there may be an opportunity a lot closer. I can be sure that anywhere I go I'll definitely search high and low the whole way in so that I don't walk by that opportunity

In your first post you asked what reasonable distances can be expected to be covered by in-shape hunters, and 4-6 miles is easily in that category. I averaged 9 mi/day for the last 4 days chasing mule deer, but those were all within ~ 4 miles of where I had a base camp and a very easy hike out (and mule deer are much smaller than elk).

A mature bull elk will have rear quarters that are ~65 lbs (each) bone-in and front shoulders that are ~40 lbs (each) bone-in. Add in back straps 4' long as big as your bicep, tenderloins, trim meat (ribs, neck, etc), and the head (can you skin it out yourself or are you packing the whole thing out or just capping it and carrying horns) and you're looking at 250+ lbs of time/temp-sensitive weight that needs to get out to your coolers.

This is all assuming you find elk 6 miles deep, they may not be there and then what? You've lost half a day or more already and now you need to move.

I'm not trying to be a downer; just trying to give you straight info on what you're biting off. I'd suggest drawing a radius of a few miles around where you're planning on parking or having a base camp, then plan out multiple spots within that circle. For example, a 4 mile radius gives you 50 sq mi of ground to cover. You could extend that radius a little bit if there is a trail you can use to help pack in/out on, or a terrain feature that allows for easier travel. Shorten it if there are three 1,000 ft elevation changes in 3 miles or something else that will greatly impact your travel or safety.

Last edited:
Our group have shot plenty of elk within 1000 yards from major forest service roads with lots of traffic. You would be shocked at how many people literally road hunt. Just start hoofing up a ridge and most will not follow.

jog

FNG
No matter how far the initial hike in, you can always add a lot of miles on the hunt if you feel you can handle it. That way you are not painted into a corner regarding a pack out just by camp to trailhead distance.
Also, packing an elk out solo if the terrain is difficult off trail (like blowdowns or getting out of a hole) can be mentally challenging. There will be a moment when you will understand what that means, if you get so far in that you should have known better, but told yourself you are bulletproof. Reality can, in a very real way, highlight over-optimism.

Jimss

WKR
There are elk within 1 to 3 miles of roads that a lot of hunters drive right by. The trick is to figure out a strategy to find such locations! If you spend much time in Colo and on websites such as this one there are close to 0 guys willing to share secret honey hole locations and specific information...especially great OTC areas that are close to main roads! That's where time, boot leather, and experience come in handy. The more time you are willing to spend in Colo scouting and hunting the more likely you'll find some of these locations and be successful. Experienced hunters can likely tear a unit a part quickly and find such locations but if you don't have experience it will likely take time to figure out where to start and areas to concentrate limited time. Obviously success isn't everything but the more time you can devote the better chance for success....Colo is a gorgeous state and a great place to spend time! It's not too late to head to Colo the next couple months to look around...even without a tag! You can always wait until next year but that's one less year of experience under your belt. I would go into this with the realization that it's going to take several years to figure things out!

OP
B

banded_drake

Lil-Rokslider
In your first post you asked what reasonable distances can be expected to be covered by in-shape hunters, and 4-6 miles is easily in that category. I averaged 9 mi/day for the last 4 days chasing mule deer, but those were all within ~ 4 miles of where I had a base camp and a very easy hike out (and mule deer are much smaller than elk).

A mature bull elk will have rear quarters that are ~65 lbs (each) bone-in and front shoulders that are ~40 lbs (each) bone-in. Add in back straps 4' long as big as your bicep, tenderloins, trim meat (ribs, neck, etc), and the head (can you skin it out yourself or are you packing the whole thing out or just capping it and carrying horns) and you're looking at 250+ lbs of time/temp-sensitive weight that needs to get out to your coolers.

This is all assuming you find elk 6 miles deep, they may not be there and then what? You've lost half a day or more already and now you need to move.

I'm not trying to be a downer; just trying to give you straight info on what you're biting off. I'd suggest drawing a radius of a few miles around where you're planning on parking or having a base camp, then plan out multiple spots within that circle. For example, a 4 mile radius gives you 50 sq mi of ground to cover. You could extend that radius a little bit if there is a trail you can use to help pack in/out on, or a terrain feature that allows for easier travel. Shorten it if there are three 1,000 ft elevation changes in 3 miles or something else that will greatly impact your travel or safety.
This all makes sense and is the kind of information I'm looking for from those who have done it. I'd much rather have it drawn out to me what to really expect and in reality what I should plan for. If those experienced say it's a tough hike out with several loads, then I'd rather adjust my plans for something that is more manageable with the option to extend if I feel we can. There seem to be so many good areas 4 to 6 miles from the nearest road, I was just curious if that was the norm to be able to get to them. And this is all making the huge assumption I would even get something. I think with the sound advice given here that would be comfortable on a 3 to 4 mile radius and try to stick to that. I just dont want to be another one of those guys that hunt right off the roads

Sportsman

Lil-Rokslider
There are three factors that need to be considered and I think they are blurred in this post.

1. Distance to your spike camp which will be with a 50-60 mile pack.
2. Daily mileage hunting with 20-25 lbs - water, game bags, lunch and snacks
3. How many buddies in the group to help pack out an elk

I think 4-5 is top distance from truck to camp and 3-4 is probably better.

I think 10 mile days are doable in this arrangement. Now, I'm not talking 10 miles further up the mountain. That's 4-5 miles morning and evening within a 2 mile radius of camp. Never forget the distance from the kill to the truck. If weather supports (cool enough), you can pack the elk to hang at the camp and then out to the truck on a different day.

I have no desire to go solo. More fun at camp and a team to help with a pack out opens up more terrain as huntable.

Finch

WKR
My buddy and I are currently archery hunting in unit 15 of Colorado. My pack is roughly 43 lbs and his is the same. Thursday we hiked in 4.4 miles (per OnX tracker) and set up camp. We were planning on doing a true bivy hunt but our packs were killing us. It wouldn't be so bad if it weren't for the deadfall. Long story short, we hiked back out today and it was rough. I couldn't imagine having to go back to that hell hole and pack meat a couple more times.

We are moving to a different area in hopes of finding more sign. Thinking we will camp by the truck and day hunt. Major props to the people that hunt deep and are successful.

Sportsman

Lil-Rokslider
Yep, I kept meaning to post about the deadfall. Go over or go around - it gets you either way.

brsnow

WKR
It comes down to if you want to hunt or hike? You certainly can go 4-6 miles but in elk terrain it can take a long time to cover ground. If you are starting off at a trailhead you will cover ground much quicker.

tttoadman

WKR
Everybody has different limits and abilities. I put it in the category of “if there are elk there, I am going after them” I don’t hunt too much early season, so I can spend whatever it takes to get it out.

Here are my tricks for survival:
Bag everything up and hump everything to the trail or ridge top where you can hang everything in the shade away from the carcass. For one it gets the worst of it over with while you are a little fresher. Less chance of injury on the tougher climb when not so worn out. Obviously better to get away from the carcass as soon as possible in places like the Frank where the wolves will be coming in on you.

Pack more at night if possible. Makes the time go by easier. I don’t like how hot the meat gets packing in the day closed up in a dry bag.

Make the loads increasingly lighter as you go. This just makes sense to me. You will be more worn out in your legs and your feet. Don’t do what we have all done and say $$&&@ it and pack super heavy on the last load because you don’t want to come back again. Make a plan when you are fresh and rational and stick to it.

If I go nonstop, I sleep in the truck for an hr in between loads and recharge my headlamp. A nice power nap.