Hilleberg Tents

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Then I slept in a Nallo 2 with our sheep guide in the Yukon. I’m 5’ 10” and she was like 5’ 4”. We fit okay but I wouldn’t call it a buddy tent. If you go that route I’d go to a 3. But I did like the style and the vestibule if you go the GT route.

OP
B
I ran the Soulo for a while. It was just more tent than I needed since I ran floorless + stove when it cooled off. I bought a Niak and have never looked back. Big enough for a person and gear, or 2 people if you really have to/want to. 2 sleeping pads fit side by side well. For a freestanding summer/early fall tent I think the Niak is hard to beat

Any worries about it holding up to huge snowstorms and high winds?

I ran an Akto for years in all seasons, it never failed me!! I've since upgraded to a Nallo 2, it's a palace for 1 person and is perfect for myself and my dog. My dog being my best hiking buddy!! My daughter and I spent a week in the Nallo and while we both fit there was zero extra room, which really sucked as we spent damn near a full day in it waiting out a nasty storm

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Any worries about it holding up to huge snowstorms and high winds?

For September/October snowstorms I wouldn’t hesitate with it. November and December snowstorms I would rather have a Soulo as it’s a true four season tent, or like the Nallo as they’ll be warmer and built for that kind of weather. I’ve had the Niak in high winds pretty much exposed in CO and it’s held up without issue. I primarily have it for September hunts but have used it into October and if your panning to have a tent for later hunts like October on I’d just go right to a 4 season. And this is all Colorado and Wyoming experience with the Niak

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LitenFast

WKR
Love my Niak. Bought it for 23 days in the Brooks Range for sheep and it worked out great and I’ll use it up there again this August.

Biggest benefits over other designs I found when I was looking
Freestanding, side entrance and pretty small footprint
Very fast setup with fly and inner attached and just 2 poles and 6-8 stakes
At roughly 3.5 lbs its a great balance of weight and durability
Long enough for me at 6’4” and still fit all my gear inside comfortably

You can go lighter or more durable but this one hits the sweet spot for me for Northern sheep hunting in August

I’d recommend each having your own tent for footprint size mainly unless you try to cram into a 2p, but also if any chance of splitting up etc. it can be tough to find space for larger tents once your get off the river bottoms

Last edited:
I have a Nallo 4 GT. As others say, bomber.

GT is what makes it great. All your gear can tuck under that giant vestibule and stay dry even while you are getting in/out of the tent.

I would go Nallo 3 GT or Kaitumm 3 GT for two people. Kaitum is a straight tunnel, while Nallo is sloped. Nallo saves you two pounds, and guys who own both say they don't notice slope. Kaitum main advantage is two vestibules = two entrances.

Nallo 4 GT
20200221_171837.jpg20200222_083256.jpg

Last edited:

Grumman

WKR
Does it ever bother any of you all not having a quick access door or window to look out of on a tunnel style Hilleberg? For my MSR it is really easy to just unzip the door that is always within reach and see what that noise outside is. For a Hilleberg Nallo for example, it seems like it would be a lot harder to do that. Not sure if that even makes a difference to those that use them.

Does it ever bother any of you all not having a quick access door or window to look out of on a tunnel style Hilleberg? For my MSR it is really easy to just unzip the door that is always within reach and see what that noise outside is. For a Hilleberg Nallo for example, it seems like it would be a lot harder to do that. Not sure if that even makes a difference to those that use them.

Great question. I wondered if this would be an issue. Instead, I felt really safe and relaxed inside. Back in the womb I guess. :)

You can see out the front vent. And if necessary you can crack the GT zipper on either side if you really need to look out.

Just a consequence of the design, and a non-issue for me.

Love my Niak. Bought it for 23 days in the Brooks Range for sheep and it worked out great and I’ll use it up there again this August.

Biggest benefits over other designs I found when I was looking
Freestanding, side entrance and pretty small footprint
Very fast setup with fly and inner attached and just 2 poles and 6-8 stakes
At roughly 3.5 lbs its a great balance of weight and durability
Long enough for me at 6’4” and still fit all my gear inside comfortably

You can go lighter or more durable but this one hits the sweet spot for me for Northern sheep hunting in August

I’d recommend each having your own tent for footprint size mainly unless you try to cram into a 2p, but also if any chance of splitting up etc. it can be tough to find space for larger tents once your get off the river bottoms

How was the head room sitting up? Im also 6'4 and have been trying to figure out which tent would work for me. Hearing that the niak was long enough for you is good to know.

LitenFast

WKR
How was the head room sitting up? Im also 6'4 and have been trying to figure out which tent would work for me. Hearing that the niak was long enough for you is good to know.

It’s adequate, I don’t remember being frustrated getting boots on or changing etc.

Akto owner here. Yet to have a night in it yet but I got a soulo for a short period of time and it was to tight for me (6'7") in comparison to the Akto. I have a buddy who hates the Akto but has since upgraded to a Nallo 2 and I think he will find the condensation issue to be the same if not worse. I've had a similar style tent to its style (MEC TGV) and it can be moist depending on the conditions but what tent won't be.

I'll most likely be picking up a Allak 3 for partner related hunts next.
The Kaitum 3 is also under concideration but I'm going to see how the Akto treats me with the tunnel design (i worry about pegging it out)

Pilgs

FNG
Is condensation an issue in all Hillebergs? Or are certain models better/worse than others? I'm mainly looking at the Atko or Niak.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Condensation is an issue in any tent in certain weather conditions, be it a Hilleberg or another brand. Where you pitch it plays a huge role in condensation issues as well. Expensive tents are still tents.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

JMDavies

WKR
I've had the Kaitum 2 for three years and can't say enough food things about it. I use it for the 2 man capabilities when packing in longer distances with a friend or keep it all to myself on shorter distance. The two vestibules are nice allowing each person to have their own exit when sleeping head to toe or having extra room to keep things dry when alone.

Update on Nallo tent. Played with my Nallo 4 GT in the yard today. Guys asked about feeling confined. To combat this, you can open the entire front wall of the vestibule. You can still keep all your gear in there and it will stay dry unless you have driving sideways rain. And you basically have around 120 degrees of visibility and can get 150 if you open the side door (see photo).

CONDENSATION: I slept in worse case conditions last time I had it out. Pitched on rich thick grass on a night that cooled from 65 down to 26 degrees, with pretty high humidity. I slept with the full front door open, but with my head on the low end. Had a thin layer of condensation just above my face, but that's it for inside the inner tent. The vestibule was covered with a thin layer of condensation, but not raining droplets inside. The folks in cold, wet climates, like in the UK, just anticipate some condensation no matter what and carry a sponge to wipe off the tent in the morning. I now have a microfiber chamois in my pack, just in case I get significant condensation. But even in worst case conditions, condensation was very reasonable with only one person in the tent. Would be more significant if you packed in 4 people.

20200329_142747.jpg20200329_142423 (1).jpg

TNHunter

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve got the Nammatj 3GT and it’s a great tent.. little heavy for sheep hunting probably but it’s a sturdy shelter. I think Hilleberg makes the beer tents (I’ve owned several). But it does have a large footprint so u will need plenty of space, which I know sheep hunts don’t have much of... but u can’t go wrong with Hillleberg.

pyrotechnic

Lil-Rokslider
Have a Hilleberg Rogen that I'm really enjoying. I bought it primarily as a one person tent that would work in a pinch for 2. The dual vestibules and entrances sold me for the latter use. I've been self-quarantining the last 5 nights in it. Temps have been anywhere from around freezing at night to 12 this morning when I woke up.

I don't imagine it would do well in heavy snow, but I haven't had any condensation issues. Since it's the yellow lable it lets a bit more air flow through than the 4 season tents I think. I'm running a WM Antelope and have been staying toasty at night.

It withstood some pretty nasty winds (can't quantify the statement) last summer in an overnight trip in the Beartooths. I have since added guylines to the vestibules for added security. For some reason it doesn't come with them from the factory.

I don't have any other high-end tent experiences to compare it to, but I'm very happy with it.
a9b461e1874f87f713e58d525a10b390.jpg
7a74939a52b1da2ae81eb7a01c255824.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Have a Hilleberg Rogen that I'm really enjoying. I bought it primarily as a one person tent that would work in a pinch for 2. The dual vestibules and entrances sold me for the latter use. I've been self-quarantining the last 5 nights in it. Temps have been anywhere from around freezing at night to 12 this morning when I woke up.

I don't imagine it would do well in heavy snow, but I haven't had any condensation issues. Since it's the yellow lable it lets a bit more air flow through than the 4 season tents I think. I'm running a WM Antelope and have been staying toasty at night.

It withstood some pretty nasty winds (can't quantify the statement) last summer in an overnight trip in the Beartooths. I have since added guylines to the vestibules for added security. For some reason it doesn't come with them from the factory.

I don't have any other high-end tent experiences to compare it to, but I'm very happy with it.
a9b461e1874f87f713e58d525a10b390.jpg
7a74939a52b1da2ae81eb7a01c255824.jpg

Nice tent. I can't visualize what you mean about the guylines on the vestibule. How would you keep the vestibule pegged out without them? Peg ring?

pyrotechnic

Lil-Rokslider
Nice tent. I can't visualize what you mean about the guylines on the vestibule. How would you keep the vestibule pegged out without them? Peg ring?
The only thing holding the vestibules out from the factory is staking out the loop at the bottom of the zipper. There are attachment points for guylines, just had to buy lines and put them on myself. One thing that is annoying is the guy lines attach to the "short side" of the vestibule. That is the side that stays in place the best if you want to roll it up and out of the way. I wish they would have put the attachment points on the other side.

Bassman

Lil-Rokslider
I have a Nallo 2 and its honestly bombproof. Its been exposed to torrential downpours, 60mph winds, dime sized hail and wet snow. Sheds snow great so the tent doesn't sag. Held up like a champ and kept me comfortable in all conditions. As is well documented with Hillebergs, condensation in warm climates is the only downside but keeping the vent opens and pointing into the wind helps minimize this.

As has been mentioned, I agree its a palace for one person but my hunting partner (6'0" ish) and I (5'9") spent 7 nights in it together just fine. Was definitely a little cramped, especially with our gear piled in the mini vestibule, but worked out for us.

I know there are lighter tents out there, but I'm not planning on replacing it any time soon. I have to much trust/confidence in it.