Hilleberg vs Hyperlite vs Seek Outside

JigStick

WKR
I’m in need for a semi lightweight 4 person shelter for me and my two boys to use when hiking, camping, scouting.

I was almost set on a Hilleberg Kaitum 4 GT which comes in at 10lbs

I just came across the Hyperlite Mountain Gear Ultamid 4 pyramid tent with its matching interior nest and bathtub floor for roughly the same price, and way lighter.

Anybody have expierence with UMG shelters?

Jimss

WKR
I have a Hilliberg Nallo 3 that I've used and abused in Colo, Wyo, and Alaska the past 5 years. It's tough to beat Hillebergs! My Nallo has withstood extreme wind, snow, rain, sleet, and hail with no leaks. My only complaint is ventilation. The Nallo only has one ventilation duct on one end. It looks like the Kaitum has it on both...which ought to help. The vestibule on the Nallo is super nice for gear, boots, drying stuff, cooking, etc. I'm not sure why the Kaitum weighs so much more than the Nallo but am guessing all the materials are a little heavier weight. If you split up the tent between guys it still isn't too heavy.

Another thing I've done when I want to pack ultra-light is to use only the fly plus a painters plastic floor. It only weighs around 2 lbs. Being a 4 season fly it still offers early season ultra light protection with gobs and gobs of room! I've used just my fly on several trips when it snowed and it still worked out fine.

If you are dealing with super rough conditions I would highly recommend Hilleberg! I love my Nallo.

Poser

WKR
Hard to beat the burliness of Hillberg. Hard to beat the weight of a HMG. Both are high end and $$$
It’s really going to depend on which one of those aspects are a priority.

OP
JigStick

JigStick

WKR
That’s the dilemma I’m stuck in. I have my SO Redcliff and 16man tipi we use in cold snowing conditions. For warm weather use I need something with bug netting and full enclosure. Ticks are awful in Pennsylvania.

My boys are 6yr and 5yr old. So I’ll be packing in the shelter for the next few years. A 10lb Hilleberg would obviously be sturdy. But the HMG will probably handle wind and rain just as well and be easier on dads back to jump in

Man, I wouldn’t even start to consider 10 lbs. being a light wt. shelter. Actually that sounds like a base camp shelter to me. I have a fair amount of experience with the HMG U4 (4-5 years now, I think?), and have been very happy with it. It’s very spacious, easy to get in and out of (very important when your as old and broke down as myself), super storm worthy (don’t be fooled by how light it is, it can handle some very serious stuff), 100% US made, and obviously very light wt. for its size. HMG’s customer service is also second to none, like most of the cottage companies out there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

3forks

WKR
There's quite a bit of info on this site and others about HMG.

It sounds like you know what you need and have experience with pyramids, so if you're just asking about HMG in general, they're a very good product.

I've had an Ultamid 4, and it's huge. I run an Ultamid 2 because I didn't need the additional space and the smaller footprint is more advantageous in some situations.

Any of the Ultamids are going to be able to withstand plenty of weather. I don't use an insert, but I'm sure it will give you the bug protection you need and the versatility to not use it and save some weight if the conditions permit it.

OP
JigStick

JigStick

WKR
I’ll dig a little more with the search function. How would it work for normal camping? Can you roll away the door to be able to see out? Say on a hot summer night with clear sky’s? Does it come with a center pole or do you use a hiking stick?

I’m only familiar with my SO tipis. I’m guessing a pyramid is similar

00df19154132eafc70883cf2282db61b.jpg

You can use your trekking poles, strapped together, but I prefer to use a dedicated carbon fiber pole.

OP
JigStick

JigStick

WKR
Sweet. So I could use my CF pole from my SO Redcliff as a pole for the Ultramid 4. God I wish SO would make a full nest in a similar way that Hyperlite does theirs. Having two separate nests set up in the Redcliff isn't nearly as convenient as a the single large nest that Hyperlite uses.

Jimbob

WKR
If you like the redcliff then I would look at getting a nest made for it.

OP
JigStick

JigStick

WKR
I was just about to say that. However I don’t think SO offers a full nest for the Redcliff. I emailed them and asked if they plan on releasing one. Who could make one for me?

I also noticed that the SO Cimarron comes in Cuben now. With a full nest available. That combo would be pretty dam light and prob cheaper than a Hille

OP
JigStick

JigStick

WKR
I emailed Bear Paw Designs with the interior dimensions of my RedCliff to see if they would make me a full nest. Ive had a hard time getting a response from them. I contacted them two weeks ago for a different custom project and never heard back.

sneaky

"DADDY"
I emailed Bear Paw Designs with the interior dimensions of my RedCliff to see if they would make me a full nest. Ive had a hard time getting a response from them. I contacted them two weeks ago for a different custom project and never heard back.
That's weird. He usually gets back to you and has the stuff sewn in a week or two

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Clarktar

WKR
This is a good review of the HMG Ultra Mid 2. Im thinking if you already have a SO setup for winter and want something lighter, then the choice between the two is obvious. The hillberg sounds like overkill for your scenario.

I have ruled out the UM4. But now and stuck between the UM2 and DCF cimarron. First world problems for sure.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor
Isn't the cimmaron a more direct comparison to the UM4. From what I can see the UM2 is quite a bit smaller then the cimmaron.

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor
And as a side note I dont have any experience with either of the shelters but I am in the market and from what I have researched. The HMG doesn't have a stove jack so running a stove with that shelter is a no go. But the liner is much lighter but twice as expensive with the DCF floor. The UM4 and Cimmaron are mostly a direct comparison. Cons I can see of each. Cimmaron nest is heavy. HMG no stove and nest is expensive. With the same pole and stakes the cimmaron is a pound heavier then the HMG with nests. Without nests they are within a couple ounces. But The HMG with nest is roughly $450 more.

Last edited:

Clarktar

WKR
No nest needed for me, and I will have a stove jack installed into a HMG shelter if I buy one.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

OP
JigStick

JigStick

WKR
Bear Paw got back to me about making me a cuben floored full nest for my Redcliff. I have to make some adjustments to the design to get to a better price point. Im still considering this option.

My Redfliff is the standard material, weight 4lb 14oz with the stakes and pole. Im estimating the cuben nest from BPWD coming in around 2.5lbs. thats getting me to around 8lbs or so. Which I think is manageable to pack in by myself with my two boys.

Most of these trips will be 2-3 miles or less. and just over nighters. maybe some car camping. Still 2lbs less than the Hilleberg I was considering.

Yeah the Hyperlite Ultramid is more comparable to the SO Cuben Cimarron. The Cimarron has a bit more room and the stove jack.

The Cuben Cimarron is 1.5lbs. its full nest is 2.8lbs. so the whole system would be 4.3lbs. and Cost me $1065. Well under weight and price of a Hilleberg Kaitum 4 GT. and not that much more than my quote from Bear Paw for the Redcliff liner.

Im worried the Cimarron may be a little tight for 2 adults and 2 children. I know when me and my buddy go hunting with my Redcliff and stove its comfortable for two. The Cimarron is a bit smaller. But again, this is going to be a warm weather shelter for me and the boys. and im not anticipating using the stove at this point. But you never now what to expect in the years to come.

Im all for flourless shelters. But the ticks have been horrific here in PA the past few years. and getting worse and worse. And for weekend outings with my kids, I think its the responsible thing to do to have some protection from the bugs. Thats whats driving this whole endeavor .

Last edited: