Hip/lower back pain

I’ve started weighted hikes. The front of my hip bones and my lower back where the lumbar pad hits are bruised. I was training with 65 total pounds.

i don’t know if this is just part of it or what but when I was heavier body weight I don’t remember the same pains with a pack. I used to weigh 180s and now am in the 150s.

Wapiti1

WKR
I had the same issue when I lost weight several years ago. The belt on my pack had to be swapped out for a different size. Otherwise, it really worked the front of my hip bones. New smaller belt, no problem.

There is some breaking you into the backpack, but it shouldn't be a long painful process. Couple of weighted hikes and you should have your adjustments worked out. I would really look at if you have the right waist belt.

Jeremy

*zap*

WKR
Fat provides a good cushion, maybe start with 20% of your bodyweight not 40%+ and did you have the waist belt tight?

Last edited:
OP
D
Wapiti/zap: thanks for the reply. I should have included in the original post that I have been working up to the weight I currently am at. I don’t go that heavy every time just like to throw a hvy day in every now and again. Most of time they are around the 40# range. The problems with the hips have been there from the start. Thought it was just part of it and just been dealing with it but figured it’s gotta to be something to fix it.

pc3

WKR
I am not sure what else you do in your spare time (you may already train, so I dont want to preach), but I am a very strong believer that the main lifts are life changing/saving and will benefit every single aspect of your life including carting around back packs.

I have lifted for your years but now concentrate mainly on the squat, press, dead lift, bench, clean. I never thought I'd be able to squat heavy again (for me at least) but I am back putting out numbers I used to do 15 years ago.....I feel a LOT better. And I reckon for those back country hunters who don't already lift it could really benefit them.

At any rate it may help you.

*zap*

WKR
Wapiti/zap: thanks for the reply. I should have included in the original post that I have been working up to the weight I currently am at. I don’t go that heavy every time just like to throw a hvy day in every now and again. Most of time they are around the 40# range. The problems with the hips have been there from the start. Thought it was just part of it and just been dealing with it but figured it’s gotta to be something to fix it.

Maybe with less hip fat you need a different pack belt. Keep up the good work.

Wapiti1

WKR
One additional thought. Not sure what your workout wear is when training with the pack, but try wearing your hunting pants with a thin webbing belt. Gym shorts and sweats have a bunched waistband that drives me nuts with a pack on.

A good fitting belt should be comfortable and not wear or pinch in any places. It should cup the hip bones and settle into the small of your back with no slipping.

The pack test thread has some good info in it as he discusses how each fit him and if they slipped or not.

Jeremy

OP
D
Maybe with less hip fat you need a different pack belt. Keep up the good work.
I am not sure what else you do in your spare time (you may already train, so I dont want to preach), but I am a very strong believer that the main lifts are life changing/saving and will benefit every single aspect of your life including carting around back packs.

I have lifted for your years but now concentrate mainly on the squat, press, dead lift, bench, clean. I never thought I'd be able to squat heavy again (for me at least) but I am back putting out numbers I used to do 15 years ago.....I feel a LOT better. And I reckon for those back country hunters who don't already lift it could really benefit them.

At any rate it may help you.

Preach on brother! I’m with you 100%. I exercise regularly pre and post season. My first elk hunt humbled me physically and That motivated me to get healthy and fit.

Reactions: pc3
OP
D
One additional thought. Not sure what your workout wear is when training with the pack, but try wearing your hunting pants with a thin webbing belt. Gym shorts and sweats have a bunched waistband that drives me nuts with a pack on.

A good fitting belt should be comfortable and not wear or pinch in any places. It should cup the hip bones and settle into the small of your back with no slipping.

The pack test thread has some good info in it as he discusses how each fit him and if they slipped or not.

Jeremy
Thanks for the info I’ll definitely check out that thread. I’m going to try out your suggestion on next hike with a thin belt for sure.

Being a skinny guy, I have always struggled with bruised hip bones from hiking. I even work construction with a tool belt on all day (a nice one) and still get bruises from hard day. I tried a kifaru pack and it didn't fit me right and still bruised. I went to a Stone Glacier and after some adjustments I haven't looked back. I'm only 125lbs and recently carried a 70lb pack 4.5 miles while intermittently tossing my 30lb daughter on my shoulders. No bruises.
My point is that everyone is different and I think sometimes in these situations it may be necassary to try different good quality packs. Of course that would be after exhausting other options like the aforementioned.
Good luck to you! Bruised hips suck and can be fixed. There's hope!

tdot

WKR
You've gone thru a pretty big weight swing, as previously mentioned, it's likley time for either a new belt, or even a different pack, but definitely look at the layers under the hip belt..

The lumbar pad sounds like it may be too thick, which makes sense with the weight loss. I have boney hips and I use to just deal with the inevitable bruising and bleeding from hip belts, but the new Seek Outside belt is the best I've tried. Even with that belt, I have to be careful on every layer of clothing under the belt, right from the underwear to how I tuck my shirt in. I have to test everything and everything and each layer can cause raw hips if I'm not careful.

TheGDog

WKR
Without getting into all my details... try not wearing a belt and instead wearing suspenders. First-Lite makes these neat suspenders that don't use those metal clips like carhartt's do. First-Lites is a better type of clip for hunting purposes. Also adjust your shoulder straps to try to lower them down on the frame in order to raise-up the lumbar pad.

I'm figuring you probably have old tailbone and hip socket injuries like I do. You mentioned the bruising bubbling up from underneath the skin in the area of the lumbar pad.

What do you do for work?

If you’re sitting for long hours of the day, I would highly suggest you take a look at the Psoas Major muscle. I’d also look to throw in some simple exercises like hip thrusters for the glutes and planks for the abs.

Another thing that helped for me was progressing through single leg exercises, like the single leg Romanian dead lift. This helps promote glute strength, entire leg balance, and anti-rotation of the hips. Lunges would also be beneficial.

Sitting and using a pack may also be causing some upper trap dominance and tightness in the chest, especially if paired with bench press/push ups. If so, also look into some mid and lower trap exercises to squeeze the shoulder blades together, down and back. A doorway stretch is effective at stretching out the pecs.

I, personally, would be wary of using any sort of item that would help compensate for the issue/injury. Its much better to regress a bit, go slow, have proper form, and create that mind muscle connection.

Hope this is somewhat beneficial, this comes from experiences dealing with my own ailments.

Reactions: pc3
OP
D
Are you certain the pack is fitting you properly?
Hey rob.
I contacted kifaru and they asked for me to send pics so they could verify that it was fitted properly. I’ll send those in and keep this thread updated as to what they come up with.

OP
D
What do you do for work?

If you’re sitting for long hours of the day, I would highly suggest you take a look at the Psoas Major muscle. I’d also look to throw in some simple exercises like hip thrusters for the glutes and planks for the abs.

Another thing that helped for me was progressing through single leg exercises, like the single leg Romanian dead lift. This helps promote glute strength, entire leg balance, and anti-rotation of the hips. Lunges would also be beneficial.

Sitting and using a pack may also be causing some upper trap dominance and tightness in the chest, especially if paired with bench press/push ups. If so, also look into some mid and lower trap exercises to squeeze the shoulder blades together, down and back. A doorway stretch is effective at stretching out the pecs.

I, personally, would be wary of using any sort of item that would help compensate for the issue/injury. Its much better to regress a bit, go slow, have proper form, and create that mind muscle connection.

Hope this is somewhat beneficial, this comes from experiences dealing with my own ailments.
Kilofoxtrot. Thanks for your insight and sharing personal experiences. I’m a crop consultant. I help farmers make decisions on managing there crop from insects disease weeds etc. I walk all day long every day in the fields from about mid April to mid September. I also have been following the mtntough backcountry preseason program for the last several years then transition into their post season program after the season. A lot of your suggestions mirror what they say as well so that’s good to see that you and them have come to the same or similar conclusions. I’m trying to focus more on stretching pre and post workouts to see if I can get some progress that way. Thanks again guys!

OP
D
Being a skinny guy, I have always struggled with bruised hip bones from hiking. I even work construction with a tool belt on all day (a nice one) and still get bruises from hard day. I tried a kifaru pack and it didn't fit me right and still bruised. I went to a Stone Glacier and after some adjustments I haven't looked back. I'm only 125lbs and recently carried a 70lb pack 4.5 miles while intermittently tossing my 30lb daughter on my shoulders. No bruises.
My point is that everyone is different and I think sometimes in these situations it may be necassary to try different good quality packs. Of course that would be after exhausting other options like the aforementioned.
Good luck to you! Bruised hips suck and can be fixed. There's hope!
Sierrablacktail. Thanks for the response. I have a buddy with a stone glacier I should probably see if he’ll let me borrow it and see if I can make it work better. Fords vs chevies vs dodges right 😁😁😁. I’ll try anything now!