Hogs

yfarm

WKR
Best meat quality if you arent looking just sausage is 50-70 lbs. Slow cooking front or hindquarters. We trap the small ones, had 10 to clean and quarter our last trap session. Larger ones are just good for sausage.

Last edited:

WKB

Lil-Rokslider
Not a monster by any means, but turned into some good sausage! New-to-me 348 Winchester worked like a champ.

Attachments

• 20230527_092013(1).jpg
    20230527_092013(1).jpg
    539.6 KB · Views: 21

RedGreen

FNG
Love hunting pigs in FL. Still hunt and stalk style. Don't get the numbers that trappers do but seeing them plowing and trudging along through the swamp just doing their thing is like nothing else. Can be very smart or very dumb. Had boars and sows. Actually is how I got started hunting, don't really count gator hunting as hunting per se. Meat is good but I like venison more. Varies on the pig. They pretty much all hybrids of domestics and Eurasian lineage. You can tell where their genetics lie by build, bristle and meat quality. Eurasian ones have that big ol razorback and longer faces, deeper chests and bigger shoulders. Seem to be mostly darker colors but not sure about that. Seen all kinds of colors. Last boar I shot had almost no tusks at all, meat almost identical to store bought pork. Most others somewhere between pork and venison. Buddy has had a lot more than I, all I really know is stuff he has taught me. His first real boar heavy Eurasian lineage, meat really only good for sausage. Still grease coming out of the skull. An old fighter, really loaded up with test. We've had a few very large ones. Many different colors. Last was a perfectly honey blonde boar. Really handsome pig, very good tusks on him, well shaped and formidable looking. Super sharp.

Love these things. Great way to get started hunting. Can't see myself not doing this for a long time.

RedGreen

FNG
That is super cool. I have never seen piglets before myself, I really want to. I understand the culinary appeal but I would never shoot one personally.

87ace6fa8ef6a66b53ac73fb68a9e4f4.jpg

Got you both beat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For you mountain hog guys, any pointers? I’ve taken a few on happenstance and food sources but really haven’t figured out their movement and bedding patterns.

In the winter are you finding then on steep slopes in sunlight- or do they stick to bedding in bottoms. Preferred food sources, bedding adjacent to food, slopes, ridges, saddles, etc.

Any tips and tactics for daytime mountain pig would be great.

clarito

FNG
For you mountain hog guys, any pointers? I’ve taken a few on happenstance and food sources but really haven’t figured out their movement and bedding patterns.

In the winter are you finding then on steep slopes in sunlight- or do they stick to bedding in bottoms. Preferred food sources, bedding adjacent to food, slopes, ridges, saddles, etc.

I'd love to hear on this as well. Hoping to get down to some southern NM mountains this year to try for some hogs

RedGreen

FNG

I do not mountain hunt for pigs but it sounds epic. Pretty much all of my hunting is flat land, thick timber, swamps, thick stuff in general.

I don't know anything about pigs outside of FL but attempting to put myself mentally in their place seems to work for finding them, mixed with a large dose of just searching. I don't usually have much line of sight in my areas so I have to search by foot and maps. It might be easier in your area to find a good vantage point and glass around, I don't know. I can say that when hunting I generally don't encounter deer or other animals, pigs seem to behave a lot different. They do really like the thick stuff down here. Not a lot they can't push through.

If you DIY it, very interested in your journey. Those pigs are probably a lot closer to the European variety than the domestic kind. Big shoulders and chest, tall razorback etc. Just epic.

RedGreen

FNG
Will add that they do need a lot of calories, and being rooters, unless they're eating acorns or nuts on the ground, they've got to feed a lot. There's some really good sources on pig behavior on the net, sows vs boars wise.

Re bedding areas, every one I have seen just makes intuitive sense to me. Like if I had to survive out there, they're the kind of places I'd go hole up in to be cozy, safe, and reasonably out of the weather. Don't know if that will help you out there, I hope it does.

Will add that they do need a lot of calories, and being rooters, unless they're eating acorns or nuts on the ground, they've got to feed a lot. There's some really good sources on pig behavior on the net, sows vs boars wise.

Re bedding areas, every one I have seen just makes intuitive sense to me. Like if I had to survive out there, they're the kind of places I'd go hole up in to be cozy, safe, and reasonably out of the weather. Don't know if that will help you out there, I hope it does.
Spent the weekend sitting food sources at dusk/dawn and covered about 5 miles during the day. Saw large amounts of hog sign, and even saw new sign in the same areas between dark one morning and first light the next, but didn’t see the first pig. I expected to at least bump some, but no dice. Headed back out today so maybe I can figure something out. Walked ridges, gaps, and creek bottoms.

Edit:
Sat openings with hogs sign and covered about 4 miles. Saw more sign, saw no pigs.

Last edited: