Hogs

Loper

WKR
Those of you in the Southeast who stalk them during the day, do you often see them or hear them first?

Those of you in the Southeast who stalk them during the day, do you often see them or hear them first?
My experience is very limited compared to others on this forum... however, I don't think they are as loud as people think they are. You'll see sign first, then probably see the hogs themselves before hearing them (again, this is pretty limited experience talking). Somewhat depends on the terrain though.

I shot one on Ca public land Saturday before last. They are out there. It's just a matter of being in the right place at the right time. That, and a whole lot of work, just to get an opportunity to pull the trigger. Private land is more often than not a different story.

mi650

WKR
I've only shot a couple, nothing huge.

I got this boar in FL, about 250#. 6.8 SPC 110 gr SPH thru the shoulder dropped him.

Tpwxe7G.jpg

And this sow on a ranch here in MI. 140 gr Win. 7-08 thru the ear. DRT.

eDpv0Qz.jpg

RedGreen

FNG

It depends a lot on the specific biome you're in. I have become aware of their presence by hearing, sight and smell, but usually it is sight first in my experience. Several times smell was what did them in. Just gotta be ready for the opportunity when it happens, you usually don't have a lot of time to line up and take the shot, but that depends a lot on setting as well. Tree stand and longer sightlines you have more time than in the timber usually. They can be either absurdly stealthy and wary or loud and dumb.

wytx

WKR
^^^ A relaxed sounder can make a lot of noise moving through thick cover, rustling leaves and grunting.

I have called in hogs that I spooked when they saw my movement getting in a stand. They did not smell me so I played my electronic hog call and they came back out for a shot. I was surprised they came back, but social grunts brought them back out into the open.

RedGreen

FNG
Very cool, that's epic. I've only encountered a defined sounder once, my first time out. They were pretty dumb. First shot whiffed, didn't spook them at all. As soon as I lifted the bolt to rack another round, they spooked. Got one running by a miraculous stroke of luck. 10 yards. Calling Definitely worth exploring.

Honyock

WKR
I hate pigs when they are on our land. The amount of destruction that they do far outweigh having them to hunt. We caught a whole sounder (6 adults and 10 piglets) last night in a remote-controlled pen.

RedGreen

FNG
I hate pigs when they are on our land. The amount of destruction that they do far outweigh having them to hunt. We caught a whole sounder (6 adults and 10 piglets) last night in a remote-controlled pen.

Out of curiosity, would you be open to letting people hunt your land to help clear them out a bit? Assuming they abide by any rules and limitations you set of course

GSPHUNTER

WKR
Whats your fee?
I'm not the property owner, I'm just saying most guys would want a fee to hunt their property, or they will guide you. Might be he will work something out with you. I do agree, I hate pigs.