Holli's Story

OP
elkmtngear

elkmtngear

Lil-Rokslider
You and your wife have done a great job as parents, kudos to you both for raising such an outstanding young American.

I also would like to thank your daughter for her service and wish her much success in her journey.

Thanks for sharing her with us!
JP

Thanks JP .

And thanks to all for your kind words. Knowing you are all supporting her is extremely important to Holli and the other 6 girls. It keeps them pumped and focused on victory.

Round Mountain, California, United States
Hi everybody :) I'm Hollianne Ervin. I want to thank you for all of your support and all of the tips that you've given me to share with the rest of the girls so far. Please keep them coming, we are all determined to do anything and everything it takes to conquer this enormous challenge ahead of us. And dad, I love you so. You're the only dad who brags about his daughter this much :) thanks

OP
elkmtngear

elkmtngear

Lil-Rokslider
MARINES of Bravo Company,,, :) pulling for these tough Marines.

Steve

Thanks again Steve for the GREAT advice! They had to shut down training because of snow and ice, so they will lose their weekend liberty making up for the lost days. I probably won't hear from her until at least the 22nd.

200 men and 7 women will train together.

Any advice from Roksliders for these girls will be passed along (I just sent her some Leukotape...thanks Ray!)

OP
elkmtngear

elkmtngear

Lil-Rokslider
Updates: Well about a week into the training, I got a call from Holli, she was in tears. She failed the pullups in the PFT...improper techique I guess. This was her first slapdown in her whole Marine experience, and she took it hard.

She had the option to drop and go directly to MCT...or to go into a holding platoon for 3 weeks and re-attempt. She decided she was not going to give up.

The 3 weeks was brutal because it was mostly down time (an environment where she does not normally excel). But there was a lot of communication, which was nice. Here's one of the "lighter side" texts she sent me:

"LOL, so the guys and I were "cleaning"...and they bet me 10 bucks I couldn't fit...they said "no f###ing way"...I won"!

Hollidryer_zps415fec90.jpg

A couple weeks ago, she began training again with Charlie Company...passed the pullups easily, excelled in the PFT.

last weekend she did the 5K Road March with the 90 lb pack. She ended up leading the pack on her side the whole way (men and women both). She initially thought she was going to drop, but once the endorphins kicked in, she was good to go.

She did wake up the next morning with lower back pain. Didn't know what to tell her except to stretch, hydrate, and walk it out. Charlie Company started with over 30 girls...they dropped 11 of them in the last two weeks.

She will be shooting all week (this is where she really shines)....hope to hear from her this weekend!

Last edited:

2rocky

WKR
Keep up the Good Work Holli!

I have some fond Shasta County memories myself. 2 summers and a year in Hat Creek 95-98.

Very cool girl, I wish her the best of luck..... She's got bigger balls than a lot of guy's!

And she makes me jealous! I've always wanted to be a Marine. I was declined due to a health condition.....I'm still thinking of trying again tho. I want it badly.

PS I'll PM you another site to check out.

OP
elkmtngear

elkmtngear

Lil-Rokslider
Got this text today:

"Lol so I guess I'm guide >.< but of ITB holy crap lol. Everyone makes fun of me. Oh. Sgt carow, when I did the first night shoot and I finially got my rifle to stop malfunctioning and shit it was just rattling off shots it felt so great. He called me a badass bitch... And with the grenade launcher today he said he was "seriously impressed with my ingenuity and speed" lol :) i love it so much here, hurts so bad but it's all worth it. You got me through the march that night though and I was in the most pain I've ever been in so thanks :D anyways! Ugh! So motivated. Have fun! Can't wait to talk to you daddy! :D :D :D 10 k tomorrow fml so nervous "

OP
elkmtngear

elkmtngear

Lil-Rokslider
She called me this morning...she made the 10K !
But they didn't stop there...according to her...they took them straight to an obstacle course that made the one in Basic Training look like a kid's play structure...she said it was huge! She blew through most of it except the rope climb, she struggled with that.

Then, they made them all jog with the 90 pound ruck back to the barracks.

Makes me appreciate my cushy life! :D

Stid2677

WKR
One thing to let her know, is that is it a common training tactic to brief that the training will end after a 10 mile, 20 mile, obstacle course, etc... Then make the trainees continue. It is a mind game, and you would not believe how many that will just quit. It's a mental toughness exercise, you never know when combat will start or stop and always have to be ready for action. If you always keep that in mind, it is not so devastating after a long hump, to do another mile or two. :)

OP
elkmtngear

elkmtngear

Lil-Rokslider
One thing to let her know, is that is it a common training tactic to brief that the training will end after a 10 mile, 20 mile, obstacle course, etc... Then make the trainees continue. It is a mind game, and you would not believe how many that will just quit. It's a mental toughness exercise, you never know when combat will start or stop and always have to be ready for action. If you always keep that in mind, it is not so devastating after a long hump, to do another mile or two. :)

Thanks Steve...that's great info, I just passed it along to her :)

PA 5-0

WKR
Jeff, please thank your daughter for her service to our incredible Country. How proud you must be. When I see great stories like this, I often wonder what the world would be like if every kid had the character, respect and determination that Holli possesses. As a father of 4 young ones, I hope to achieve even half of what you have in regard to raising my children. In particular, both my daughters(just like their brothers) are shooters, hunters and killer athletes. Skill sets that might aid them in Basic right!!! Don't know if they will ever go military, but I will sure nudge them in that direction. And I will start by having them read this post. Awesome stuff!!!! Holli will inspire achievement in other young women no matter what the final result of her current training may be. Best of luck to Holli !!!!!! Dan