Honest Franchi Affinity Feedback

RadDad

Lil-Rokslider
I’m leaning very heavily toward purchasing a Franchi Affinity 3 in 12 gauge with Realtree Max-5. This will be primarily a waterfowl and dove gun with a turkey hunt sprinkled in every now and again. I’ve used a Remington 870 Express for decades but it’s time for an upgrade. I’m looking for something affordable-ish and reliable. Not too worried about bells and whistles like oversized actions, CombTech, etc.

What I’d like to know is if anyone here has heard any negative feedback about these guns? A friend said they’re “inferior” to the Benellis (parent company) so I should just get a Super Black Eagle. Unfortunately, I don’t have the funds for that right now. In the $800-$900 price point the Franchi Affinity 3 seems to be the best option. Everything online seems to be positive about these guns but I’m just never sure given many of these sites and YouTube channels get kickbacks for positive reviews.

Appreciate any help!

-RadDad

I have a SBE2 and an Affinity in 20ga. I have no complaints. Can't say I feel the Franchi is any less well built than the Benelli. Both are quality. My only complaint on the Franchi is its such a nice looking gun and they went and put a plastic trigger guard on it. Just takes away from the look. But I love the way it shoots. Get the affinity and don't look back, so long as it fits you.20221022_084822.jpg

Darryle

WKR
I have 2, the original Affinity and the updated Affinity 3.

The original has 1000s of rds thru it, the Affinity 3 has several 1000rds thru it, sporting clays with 7/8oz Rios, 1 1/4oz steel Winchester Supreme Dryloks, Pheasant loads, 1oz dove loads, and Remington #6 game loads for varmints and pest around the house.

I have a 3rd waiting, a nib Affinity 3 that I bought off of a local forum for cheap. I will never see myself without one. These are easily the most reliable and easiest to clean shotguns around.

The 2 I have been running have been as reliable as any of my Auto-5 shotguns, I have hunted with an Auto-5 since the mid 80s, these showed me that reliable lightweight shotguns are a thing of beauty.

Cheesy

FNG
Zero experience with the Franchi or Benelli (nephew does have an M2? and likes it just fine).

Bro in law and I both picked up Beretta A300's for waterfowl. Zero issues with either. Close to 10 of my immediate family/friends shoot Beretta 391s with zero complaints. $800ish range now it looks like.

And if your friend wants to play the parent company inferiority game, go ahead and do the Beretta, parent company of Benelli....

hunt1up

WKR
I've had a Benelli SBE and have used newer versions of the Benellis. I currently have an Affinity and it feels pretty much the same as a Benelli. Buy with confidence.

OP
RadDad

RadDad

Lil-Rokslider
First and foremost, thank you to everyone who provided feedback. I really appreciate everyone taking the time to contribute.

Now for the good and bad. Good news is I was able to get my hands on the gun today at the local big box store. It shouldered great, swung beautifully, and generally felt good in my hands. I was all but sold…almost.

Just to be 100% sure the fit was good, I asked the guy at the counter to remove the trigger lock. Apparently, I have small hands, because when shouldering the gun my forefinger barely fit on the trigger. Just to give you an idea, when shouldering it comfortably, my top knuckle on the index didn’t even reach the trigger. I tried holding it with various hand positions but everything that felt “right” still put my trigger finger coming up short. I could easily see a situation when wearing thick gloves that I would have issues getting a good squeeze on the trigger. When getting home I even double checked with my Remington 870 in the safe and my index finger fit perfectly so apparently I just got lucky with that as my first shotgun purchase many years ago.

I’m a little disheartened since everything seemed perfect until that last test. I will say I’m glad I took the advice of everyone on this forum who said to shoulder every gun before buying. Back to the drawing board I’m afraid!

Thanks again everyone,

- RadDad

bkusna15

FNG
Did the franchi have shims installed? You could look at the shorter female version. I have a Affinity 3 since they first came out. It was the first gun i could afford as a college student. The gun probbably had 2000 rounds of clay shooting prior to any birds. The gun has performed flawlessly since owning it. Has killed many ducks without any issues.

The only thing that happened to the gun was the recoil pad deterioated. This can be replaced via waranty. They are not easy to find online and will need to be bought through Franchi if warranty has expired.

bkusna15

FNG
Also, if you are not dead set on Franchi, I would lean towards another inertia driven gun. I own a Beretta A400 for clays and a Franchi for waterfowl. Sure you have reduced recoil with the gas guns, but man do they take time to get clean. the inertia guns take very little time to clean compared to a gas gun and less parts to break. That is my opinion and i know others would disagree but something to think about.

Last edited:

Agross

WKR
Also, if you are not dead set on Franchi, I would lean towards an inertia driven gun. I own a Beretta A400 for clays and a Franchi for waterfowl. Sure you have reduced recoil with the gas guns, but man do they take time to get clean. the inertia guns take very little time to clean compared to a gas gun and less parts to break. That is my opinion and i know others would disagree but something to think about.
Unless I’m misunderstanding what yer saying, Isn’t the affinity 3 an inertia driven gun?

Dave C.

Lil-Rokslider
Admittedly, I have never shouldered or shot an Affinity but I have shot several Benelli models for years and also have very small hands. I have never had an issue with the Benelli's and I can't imagine there would be that much difference from the Franchi's since they're all made by the same turkish mfrs. I suppose it's possible that the stock is bigger around on the Franchi but I can't imagine it being that much different than a Benelli. Try shouldering a Benelli and see if you have the same problem. The recoil operated guns have a spring extending down into the stock which means they have to make the stock big enough to accomodate the spring mech. It's not really a LOP issue. If your hand is that small, your only solution may be a youth model.
FWIW, the Benelli SBE II(and I suspect the SBE III as well) also has a plastic trigger guard so using that to claim the Franchi feels cheaper really isn't a fair comparison.

jjwise97

FNG
I own 2 Franchi Affinity’s; a 12ga elite waterfowl and a plain 20ga with wood stock and blued barrel.

Function wise, they’re fantastic. I shoot a lot of skeet and have probably 15-17,000 rounds through the 12ga in the last 3.5 years, and another 3-4,000 through the 20ga. No issues, and very little cleaning. They’ve actually given me less issues than my Beretta a400.

My only complaints with them is the metal finish. The elite version is cerakoted, and mine is an early one that had some cerakote issues where it would wear off quickly. I’ve heard from multiple people that you can send those back to the factory and they’ll shop you a new barrel and receiver but I haven’t done this.

The 20ga seems to have a cheap finish that rusts quickly when it gets wet, but it does clean up easily. Other than that, I’ve been very happy with them.

dla

WKR
Admittedly, I have never shouldered or shot an Affinity but I have shot several Benelli models for years and also have very small hands. I have never had an issue with the Benelli's and I can't imagine there would be that much difference from the Franchi's since they're all made by the same turkish mfrs. I suppose it's possible that the stock is bigger around on the Franchi but I can't imagine it being that much different than a Benelli. Try shouldering a Benelli and see if you have the same problem. The recoil operated guns have a spring extending down into the stock which means they have to make the stock big enough to accomodate the spring mech. It's not really a LOP issue. If your hand is that small, your only solution may be a youth model.
FWIW, the Benelli SBE II(and I suspect the SBE III as well) also has a plastic trigger guard so using that to claim the Franchi feels cheaper really isn't a fair comparison.
Franci is made by Benelli - Italian.

Agross

WKR
I picked one up not to long ago and I really like it. Seems lightweight to me, and it kills stuff.

BrettJolly

Lil-Rokslider
I have an Affinity 3 waterfowl edition that I love. Have never had any issues with it, even after dropping it in the bottom of Lake Michigan duck hunting. Have a full season of waterfowl and upland hunting with it and am impressed

ppwack02

Lil-Rokslider
I won one years ago at a ducks unlimited banquet and it has been fantastic. The only issue I ever had is when I fell and the gun went under water in a marsh. After cleaning it up it was fine.

Dave C.

Lil-Rokslider
Franci is made by Benelli - Italian.
Sorry. Yes, you are correct. I've been recently dealing with Tri-Star which is Turkish made and that was on my mind. Benelli, Franchi, and many other guns are made in Italy.