Honest shed question

stitchesdraw

Lil-Rokslider
Why exactly do I see or read or hear of so many people " shed " hunting

is it an excuse to scout...
just fun to discover...
cabin fever relief lol ...
exploring where perhaps big bulls might be hanging...

Maybe yall sell em ...

dont do it in these parts and it really not a big deal if anyone finds anything tbh... just find it amusing seeing all the photos, reading all the articles... and WHAT shed specific PACKS ?!?!!?

and.......... GO :)

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
It is the all the above and like explaining to non hunters who don’t grasp why we do what we do in all conditions and beating ourselves up having fun and enjoying the suck....it is not for everyone and that is nice counting the days to next month🥰🤩 yes I have a problem I like finding antlers 🥰26306594-D552-4CAD-83F9-F2566A73CB62.jpeg

CorbLand

WKR
Wouldn’t say I am a full blown shed hunter but it gets me out and doing things. It’s nice to have a reason to hit the hills and do a little hiking. If I find one, cool. If I don’t, well I got to go hiking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's hard for me to motivate this time of year. Gives me something to be out looking for.

For me it's a bit different as I'm generally on private looking for sheds from particular deer. I like to know how big an animal was that I had on camera, track the growth when I can from year to year.

I only have whitetails to chase, and it gets me excited to see what has made it through hunting seasons and winter. A lot of us whitetail fanatics have a history with the bucks that roam our properties.

OP
stitchesdraw

stitchesdraw

Lil-Rokslider
Neat stuff everyone.
As I suspected.
Just one more fun excuse to get out there :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fatcamp

WKR
Add to all of this it's just a cool feeling to touch freshly dropped sheds and make that connection with a wild, free animal. I don't take it seriously but put on a few miles every spring.

Only find last year.

KIMG1763.JPG

WCB

WKR
As most have said.. a reason to get out. If I do it it is once or twice a year take a long weekend out west and basicall screw off.

Now days it is a fad and people get way too worked up finding sheds.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
I think it's also a good chance to practice basic skills as well. Things you may not necessarily notice you are doing but just do them as a hunter... Identifying scat and droppings, identifying tracks, looking at scrapes and bedding areas etc.

Randle

WKR
Most of the above , also I use it to test out new clothes and gear that might actually go hunting with me.

Shed hunting is a huge passion...
I’ve often thought that I enjoy shed hunting, or at least picking up a big brown sets...more than actual hunting.

Its a totally different feeling, when shed hunting...you just never know what’s around the next turn. And when you find a brown, it just drives you harder.

I’ve picked up hundreds and hundreds of sheds, but unfortunately, sell most. Just not enough room to keep them all.
I make dog chews for a few pet stores with most of my antler...I don’t even want to think about how many 300” sets I’ve thrown through the band saw:(

I really like finding consecutive years drops of the same bull or buck. More often then not, they’re within a few hundred yards from year to year.
It’s cool to see the progression, or in some cases regression.
I’ve got. 200” mulie set with two different years off the same buck and a bull that went from 350” to 380” in two years.
On the flip side, I’ve got a 195” mulie that went 180” last year.

Antler is just beautiful. The color, texture and even smell of fresh antler is addictive.

Deadhead hunting is an early season activity too.
See what the cat caught during winter, or old bulls that never made it out of slot canyons before a big snow.

Ya just never know what you’ll find next!

nigafia

FNG
It's hard for me to motivate this time of yearusa today protonmail Gives me something to be out looking for.

For me it's a bit different as I'm generally on private looking for sheds from particular deer. I like to know how big an animal was that I had on camera, track the growth when I can from year to year.
It’s nice to have a reason to hit the hills and do a little hiking. If I find one, cool. If I don’t, well I got to go hiking.

Last edited: