Horizontal Stringing?? Baffling

OP
B

BCD

WKR
Yep, my first fix is to have someone else shoot it.

Am I reading that right? Does it have a six-inch group at 200 yards?
Yes unfortunately that is correct. I'm not a great shooter, but I'm not that bad lol. That's why I feel there is more going on here than just shooting form.

Last edited:
OP
B

BCD

WKR
Have the rings been lapped? I've heard gunshop stories about misaligned rings putting weird pressures on scopes. Just shooting from the hip on this one as over never experienced it.

They are precision matched rings.

Shooter71

Lil-Rokslider
Likely bedding, barrel slapping stock. Something is moving to cause excessive horizontal stringing.

Reactions: BCD
6” at 200 is 3moa not 6moa

If we are comparing a 10 shot group at 100

And a 10 shot group at 200.

it ain’t stuff being loose or wonky. Guns dont go from 1/2moa deviation to 1 1/2moa deviation in 100 yards:

but it could be flinching. 30-06 can be more punishing then you think. Tons of comb, hard pad.. 200 yard shots usually happen after 100 yard shots.

20rounds plus and ur gonna start to get tight and anticipate recoil.

A good rearbag will minimize vertical so the rifles going left and right as you anticipate the slap.

3x, And put the first 5 at 200..

OP
B

BCD

WKR
Well the bullet was definitely the majority of the issue. I started by shooting a 5 shot 200 yard group at 4X with the Core Lokts and they looked just like they did last week-poor group and horizontal stringing. I then shot 3 different bullets at 100 Y and got a 3 shot .4 MOA group with the Hornady Interlock 180 grain. I then went straight to 200 Yards and shot a pretty decent core group (right around MOA with 8 shots) with one flier but the group was about 3.5 inches low with 3 shots about where they should have been vertically. I believe my scope wasn't tracking for the first 9 shots or so and then started tracking for the last 3. I ordered more ammo and will be going back to do a tracking test.

Wrench

WKR
I've found that when a rifle goes from anywhere close to moa to 3+moa its almost always the optics.

Unless you're bagging the barrel or have some horrible rifle mounting habits...I'd have someone else shoot it, and if it continues....yard that scope off and regroup.

Reactions: BCD
OP
B

BCD

WKR
I've found that when a rifle goes from anywhere close to moa to 3+moa its almost always the optics.

Unless you're bagging the barrel or have some horrible rifle mounting habits...I'd have someone else shoot it, and if it continues....yard that scope off and regroup.
What do you mean by bagging the barrel and yarding the scope off?

Thanks!!

Wrench

WKR
If you support the front of the gun on the barrel.

Yarding off = PNW slang for remove.