Horn plugs

Snyd

WKR
I don't recall any "plug cuttings" ever being gathered from any of the rams I've had sealed here in AK. They end up like sawdust on the floor/bench. Has anyone here in AK ever had any "plug cuttings" gathered up that you're aware of? Maybe I just didn't notice.

FNG
I had plug cuttings packaged up and sent along with the inspectors info here in BC. Seemed odd to me but he said it was for DNA testing.

Some people are bothered by the fact that someone drills a hole in their horn. Those that are proud, are just boasting or making film. I'm not sure it makes any difference one way or the other. The premise is that it will reduce poaching because all sheep should have a plug. However not every state requires a plug for pickup/dead heads. I'm skeptical that it really does much to curb poaching.

I'm indifferent to them, and don't notice them on any of my mounts/skulls.
Completely agree.

I don't recall any "plug cuttings" ever being gathered from any of the rams I've had sealed here in AK. They end up like sawdust on the floor/bench. Has anyone here in AK ever had any "plug cuttings" gathered up that you're aware of? Maybe I just didn't notice.

I never have, and pretty certain they have never collected plug shavings for DNA in Alaska. If they need DNA, there is usually plenty hanging off of the skull or skull plate. Other places can do what they want, but I have yet to hear a single logical argument to justify requiring the plug in AK.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

leoni1

FNG
I am certain that plug cuttings are used for DNA in Alberta. The F&G officers have told me over the 5 rams that I have registered (or been a part of).

There was a high profile case about 5 years ago in which an Alberta resident sheep hunter registered a sheep, claiming it to be from a 4/5 curl zone. DNA conclusively put that ram in another area of the province, from a full curl zone.

Sheep was confiscated, and I believe the fines were steep...

I've watched many, many, many rams get sealed and plugged here in Alaska. They have always collected shavings/cuttings from the horns I have witnessed being sealed. Not saying it happens every time, but in my experience they do collect the cuttings.

Snyd

WKR
I am certain that plug cuttings are used for DNA in Alberta. The F&G officers have told me over the 5 rams that I have registered (or been a part of).

There was a high profile case about 5 years ago in which an Alberta resident sheep hunter registered a sheep, claiming it to be from a 4/5 curl zone. DNA conclusively put that ram in another area of the province, from a full curl zone.

Sheep was confiscated, and I believe the fines were steep...

Interesting. Good that it got the poacher if in fact the science is 100% accurate. If any margin for error well then.... not so good.

Jacack

WKR
Never had the chance to get a sheep myself but did see something two years ago that had me very curious. always thought the plug was a good idea to keep it legal.

I was driving back from wy in mid September passing trough eastern South Dakota and 90 was closed in areas due to flooding. So need up on back roads I ended up behind a older Volvo wagon going into some little town and at the stop I was right behind him and noticed like 6 or 8 sheep skulls and horns in the back. Thought I was seeing things so I got next to him on a two lane and sure enough it was a bunch of skulls and horns. I am guess 8 total but could of been more.

Not sure who he was or how one could have that many.

Never had the chance to get a sheep myself but did see something two years ago that had me very curious. always thought the plug was a good idea to keep it legal.

I was driving back from wy in mid September passing trough eastern South Dakota and 90 was closed in areas due to flooding. So need up on back roads I ended up behind a older Volvo wagon going into some little town and at the stop I was right behind him and noticed like 6 or 8 sheep skulls and horns in the back. Thought I was seeing things so I got next to him on a two lane and sure enough it was a bunch of skulls and horns. I am guess 8 total but could of been more.

Not sure who he was or how one could have that many.

Maybe headed to the wild sheep center in Dubois?

Snyd

WKR
I've watched many, many, many rams get sealed and plugged here in Alaska. They have always collected shavings/cuttings from the horns I have witnessed being sealed. Not saying it happens every time, but in my experience they do collect the cuttings.
Well there you have it. I may not have been paying any attention. Now, hopefully I'll get the chance this year on a DCUA Ram! :D I'll then report back!

RS3579

WKR
Can someone please post a picture of a sheep that was plugged? I for one have never seen the finished plug. Thank you.

4ester

WKR
8300bc452ac4761cfcc53e75a938c0e9.jpg

I did not see them collect any samples off this ram, the cuttings just fall on the floor and mix with the dozens of other rams that get plugged. (Wyoming)

Last edited:

Felix40

WKR
We take DNA samples from lions and bears here. All you need is a piece of flesh the size of a grain of rice. It could easily be done without drilling into your horns.

Idaho plugs hunter harvested with a silver plug, dead heads get a gold plug. Both are mandatory. Not sure the exact reasoning besides showing you legally possess the horns. This gives the F&G the opportunity to measure and age harvested and expired rams.