Sevr BH and Elk

Zac

WKR
Have you played around with a Sevr? The tip is super pointy and I've done a bit of amateur push tests. The tip takes very little force to penetrate. If there's a gain by adding a blade it's going to be very minimal in my mind.

I'd buy into lengthening the tip before the blades though.
Always thought the tips were blunt. Especially compared to a Grim Reaper. I’d go for a longer nose just so they don’t partially deploy in the quiver.

Bump79

WKR
Always thought the tips were blunt. Especially compared to a Grim Reaper. I’d go for a longer nose just so they don’t partially deploy in the quiver.
Interesting. I have some sitting in front of me - blunt is definitely not the word I'd use but to each their own. The GR tip is amazing though.

Reactions: Zac

CMF

WKR
Have you played around with a Sevr? The tip is super pointy and I've done a bit of amateur push tests. The tip takes very little force to penetrate. If there's a gain by adding a blade it's going to be very minimal in my mind.

I'd buy into lengthening the tip before the blades though.
Yea, I have some 1.5s. I shot a muley this past season with them, he went 50yds. They seem to be about the best out there for a mechanical.
I just think the tip could be improved.
Looking at the other Sevr thread, it seems that stopping on the offside hide is pretty much the norm. I think a better tip would improve the pass-through rate.

Trybendr

FNG
I initially shot my elk with an IW SB 125 but ended up getting a follow up shot which I grabbed the SEVR 2.0 that was in the quiver and passed through. Didn’t check to see if I busted a rib or anything. I’m assuming I didn’t and went between.

80#
28.5 draw
545 grain arrow

devinhal

FNG
I'll agree with what has already been said. The blades don't come as sharp as I would expect, but I was able to sharpen them on my work sharp stand and have been very happy with the results. The 2.0 heads have passed through everything I have shot them at. I have a couple heads dedicated for practice because the target material will dull the blades over time even when they are locked in practice mode. I haven't put one through an elk yet, but I don't have any reservations keeping them in my quiver.

70#
29.5" draw
460 grain arrow

Last edited:
Genuinely curios what made you happy with them?
Was it poor shot placement and the sevr opened a large wound channel and did a lot of damage to the animal?
Was it a good shot and the animal died quickly ?
Full pass through ?

Only reason I'm asking is those heads have intrigued me over the years but I've always been a fixed guy.
We always here guys on recommending heads they have killed with, but almost any broadhead on the market will kill an animal with good shot placement.
Ive had both results with Sevr. Sevr saved my bacon on a bad hit because of the 2 inch cut just barely clipping the heart of my biggest buck ever. He died In 250 yards even after we bumped him. I've shot a lot of animals with sevr and I personally enjoy them. Shot elk with 1.5 and deer, turkeys and bear with 2.0. They're not perfect but I'd say they are just about as good as a mechanical can get, minus the quiver noise. That drives me nuts nuts.

Blade angle of the 2.0 sucks. I've seen it first hand not get squat for penetration on a small mulie doe at 20 yards. 10 ring shot, 77# bow, 550 grain arrow, 30" draw...arrow went half way through and turned down towards stomach.
Myself and my hunting partner has both killed many deer with the 1.5s and they all die fast. Holes are larger than I would've guessed.
I would not shoot a 2.0 at an elk, personally. I used the new 1.75 on a deer last year and had the same results as the 1.5...that's also a great head.
Crazy result on a doe. If they made a curved blade I think the penetration would be better no doubt. I've never not got 2 holes with a sevr but I've heard of it before. I think the 1.5 honestly leaves an almost unnoticeable difference in hole size with the 2.0. Never shot the 1.75 now but that might be the juice!

Yup. My experience is the SEVR with 1 hole gives better blood than fixed with 2 (I've shot many more elk with fixed vs expandable). The cut diameter is just massive. I'm not saying that is a hard rule, but just my experience. I think people get too wrapped up in thinking this broadhead or that one is better for blood. In general a bigger cut will produce a better trail, but there is random oddities with blood trails and archery.
That's been my experience as well. I want more blood on the ground always.