Sevr BH and Elk

Luked

WKR
I didnt want to horn in on the other thread about Mechanicals but reading through it I got a bit courious.
I bought 6 Sevr 2.0 last year and used them here at home whitetail hunting. Killed one deer with them and was very happy with them.

Reading through the other thread most are saying they use the 1.5 Sevr for Elk.
For those that do use the 1.5" is it just a KE thing that you use the 1.5 over the 2.0?

Just generally courious as I am still not positive if I am going to use the Sevr heads I have for my hunt this year or if I am going to go back to my Slick Trick Viper Tricks.

Killed one deer with them and was very happy with them.
Genuinely curios what made you happy with them?
Was it poor shot placement and the sevr opened a large wound channel and did a lot of damage to the animal?
Was it a good shot and the animal died quickly ?
Full pass through ?

Only reason I'm asking is those heads have intrigued me over the years but I've always been a fixed guy.
We always here guys on recommending heads they have killed with, but almost any broadhead on the market will kill an animal with good shot placement.

TheViking

WKR
Blade angle of the 2.0 sucks. I've seen it first hand not get squat for penetration on a small mulie doe at 20 yards. 10 ring shot, 77# bow, 550 grain arrow, 30" draw...arrow went half way through and turned down towards stomach.
Myself and my hunting partner has both killed many deer with the 1.5s and they all die fast. Holes are larger than I would've guessed.
I would not shoot a 2.0 at an elk, personally. I used the new 1.75 on a deer last year and had the same results as the 1.5...that's also a great head.

msmith@ironwilloutfitters

FNG
Rokslide Sponsor
I didnt want to horn in on the other thread about Mechanicals but reading through it I got a bit courious.
I bought 6 Sevr 2.0 last year and used them here at home whitetail hunting. Killed one deer with them and was very happy with them.

Reading through the other thread most are saying they use the 1.5 Sevr for Elk.
For those that do use the 1.5" is it just a KE thing that you use the 1.5 over the 2.0?

Just generally courious as I am still not positive if I am going to use the Sevr heads I have for my hunt this year or if I am going to go back to my Slick Trick Viper Tricks.
Give this Kifaru Cast Listener Stories a listen. Hope this helps.

Hunters name is Ty Richey if you need to look up the episode #507

Bump79

WKR
What are your specs?

I shot a bull 2x with a 1.5 Sevr season before last. This is a singular experience and I am in no way blaming the broadhead. I hit too far back on the first shot (walking) then the second was a follow up shot at 70+yds. Neither were pass throughs and I had terrible blood that resulted in a loss.

Here's my take - mechanicals are kind of a go/no go. If you have the energy & momentum I'd just skip the 1.5 and go to the 1.75 or 2.0. Hear me out. You're blowing you're a huge part of your load just opening the head and that's not insignificant. They all 3 take the same force to open essentially. If you don't have it - just shoot a larger cut fixed like an Exodus and still put a big hole in them.

Let's look at John Lusk's data on the penetration of these 3 mechanicals to see just for reference. As you can see in the below table - the Sevr 1.5 does penetrate more. However, the gain in penetration over the 1.75 in PT1 is zero and only 5% in PT2 - effectively no loss in penetration for 17% more cut. The 2.0 loses only 8-9% over the 1.5 while gaining 33% more cut size. These tests John does in cardboard and gel typically give a disadvantage to more surface area (Drag) - so logically the losses shown from 1.5 to 2.0 are actually over stated in his tests vs what you would expect in reality.
Rectangle Font Material property Parallel Pattern

For example - my elk shot with the 1.5 out of a pretty high energy setup did not pass through regardless, I got a good look at my arrow in him and it got to offside for sure (probably 13"+). With this data I have no evidence that a 2.0 wouldn't have done the exact same thing and not passed through but cut 33% more tissue and maybe "touched" more vitals or given me a hair better blood. My whole logic for using the 1.5 was to get better penetration. I feel like I only lost benefit with the 1.5 over a 2.0 now. Another thing to note is on the Sevr pivoting - the 1.5 will pivot and needs a force to balance it back out (like a teeter totter). A 2.0 has longer lever arms and will be more likely quickly balance itself out. Also probably more likely to collapse per their design on super hard impacts though.

With the Sevr design I don't feel that a 1.5 has any tangible benefit over a 1.75 or 2.0. The typical downside of a big cut is really that you're increasing the odds of hitting bone - with the pivot I think this is minimized. So in summary - A pass through with a mechanical (or fixed) is never a guarantee regardless of cut size. I'd rather cause the damage now. My vote is to go 1.75/2.0 if you've got the ability and sharpen it to an extreme level with a Blade Sled or similar.

OP
Luked

Luked

WKR
Genuinely curios what made you happy with them?
Was it poor shot placement and the sevr opened a large wound channel and did a lot of damage to the animal?
Was it a good shot and the animal died quickly ?
Full pass through ?
Pretty much all of that.
A big thing for me also was the way the blades pivot once opened and also how they lock when you want to target shoot the exact head you will be using.

I have went back and forth over the years with fixed and Mech heads. Never really had an issue. But I have never shot anything bigger than Whitetail.
The deer I shot last year with my 2.0 heads was a full pass through busted 2 ribs in half (one going in one going out) buried in the ground and its still really sharp and useable.
Deer ran 40 yards and piled up.

I have no issues with the 2.0 for what I have used them for but after reading through the other thread its making me wonder if I should pick up a doz of the 1.5s now.

Bump79

WKR
Blade angle of the 2.0 sucks. I've seen it first hand not get squat for penetration on a small mulie doe at 20 yards. 10 ring shot, 77# bow, 550 grain arrow, 30" draw...arrow went half way through and turned down towards stomach.
Myself and my hunting partner has both killed many deer with the 1.5s and they all die fast. Holes are larger than I would've guessed.
I would not shoot a 2.0 at an elk, personally. I used the new 1.75 on a deer last year and had the same results as the 1.5...that's also a great head.
I really hoped when they launched the 1.75 that it used the same ferrule as the 2.0. Then used essentially the same blade but adjusted where they lock together so it locks more laid back. Would have given it a great blade angle.

KHNC

WKR
I will be using 1.5's for elk this year too. Really do a number on Whitetails. As good as ANY fixed i have used in the past year. And ive killed close to 150 Big game animals with a bow over my lifetime.

FNG
Rokslide Sponsor
Is this just a promo for IW heads? Or is it something related to SEVR and what the OP asked about?
Related to SEVR and can give you an idea of what to choose from. Just a customers experience and can give you a good insight for an elk hunt coming up.

Bump79

WKR
Related to SEVR and can give you an idea of what to choose from. Just a customers experience and can give you a good insight for an elk hunt coming up.
I'm listening now. I'm not a huge advocate for Sevr by any means (listed my experience) and prefer sharp fixed heads for elk. But I can't say that shooting an IW or any other head in any of these 4 instances would have changed his outcome in any of the losses. They weren't getting fixed blades to fly for the first 3 - that's how he ended up with a Sevr 1.5 screwed on. I'd say that was problem number 1. As you know, you can get a fixed head to fly relatively easily if you're spined right and bow is in tune. And even if that Sevr matches field tips - it's not flying straight. He lost so much penetration right there. Did he sharpen the Sevr? Etc.

His own analysis was that he was forcing it from wanting it too bad as they've traveled so far. That is honestly the biggest problem and was a good analysis. I've learned from similar experiences that you need to always have it in your mind that you can let down. It's not that big of deal.

Might be unpopular but honestly both gut shots - he probably could have benefitted from a Sevr 2.0 over switching a fixed.

FNG
Rokslide Sponsor
I'm listening now. I'm not a huge advocate for Sevr by any means (listed my experience) and prefer sharp fixed heads for elk. But I can't say that shooting an IW or any other head in any of these 4 instances would have changed his outcome in any of the losses. They weren't getting fixed blades to fly for the first 3 - that's how he ended up with a Sevr 1.5 screwed on. I'd say that was problem number 1. As you know, you can get a fixed head to fly relatively easily if you're spined right and bow is in tune. And even if that Sevr matches field tips - it's not flying straight. He lost so much penetration right there. Did he sharpen the Sevr? Etc.

His own analysis was that he was forcing it from wanting it too bad as they've traveled so far. That is honestly the biggest problem and was a good analysis. I've learned from similar experiences that you need to always have it in your mind that you can let down. It's not that big of deal.

Might be unpopular but honestly both gut shots - he probably could have benefitted from a Sevr 2.0 over switching a fixed.
Learning how to tune your bow and animal anatomy also helps! Aiming off the shoulder is also where people seem to aim if they are frightened to not hit the scapula which can result in a gut shot. Properly weighted arrow will also help with penetration especially if you are planning to take further shots. At a longer distance an arrow will lose momentum and speed so you may not be getting the penetration you want with an expandable. I just personally prefer to not take any chances when hunting and prefer to limit things that may cause an error in recovering the animal. Stack the odds in your favor.

Duh

WKR
I put a 2.0 pretty far thru a muley bucks front shoulder at 32yards. Shooting a 80lb bow, 30 inch draw, 538grain Easton axis. Sample size of 1 into a deer shoulder but I’ve also had luck with them into doe vitals and an elk as well.

Bump79

WKR
Learning how to tune your bow and animal anatomy also helps! Aiming off the shoulder is also where people seem to aim if they are frightened to not hit the scapula which can result in a gut shot. Properly weighted arrow will also help with penetration especially if you are planning to take further shots. At a longer distance an arrow will lose momentum and speed so you may not be getting the penetration you want with an expandable. I just personally prefer to not take any chances when hunting and prefer to limit things that may cause an error in recovering the animal. Stack the odds in your favor.
I agree with all of that. I was just pointing out that his results would most likely have been the same given his knowledge at the time.

S.Clancy

WKR
I've killed 3 bulls the last 4 years with SEVR's, either the old 1.75 or the 2.0.

Shot distances were 50, 49, 60 and 70 (last year's bull I shot 2x, @60 and 70).

Distances ran before expiration were 30 yards, 400 yards and 70 yards. I achieved no pass throughs, some of that was due to shot angle (2 were quartering away and impacted the off shoulder). All arrows basically poked the tip through on the offside.

My bow shoots a 500 gr arrow at a little over 280 fps.

I think a couple things keep the broadheads from passing thru. The 2.0 is BIG, it has way more chance to hit ribs (or the shoulder) coming in or out. You definitely lose energy, so that is what it is. The blades are not sharp (IMO) from the factory, I remove and sharpened to 2500 grit then strop, super sharp.

Blood trails were outstanding on 2, ok on the 3rd, although in truth, the 3rd bull was a liver and one lung, not exactly a bleeder.

I will continue to use them, but I understand the downsides. I also carry a split quiver, 3 arrows with SEVR's, 2 arrows with fixed blades so I have options depending on the opportunity.

Note: My brother shot a cow @ 60 with a 1.5 (his bow has essentially the same speed and weight). Arrow didn't pass thru, cow made it 40-50 yards.

Pics of the bulls for shits and gigs...20201011_084128.jpg

imagejpeg_1 (1).jpgIMG_20231014_180719588.jpg

Bump79

WKR
I've killed 3 bulls the last 4 years with SEVR's, either the old 1.75 or the 2.0.

Shot distances were 50, 49, 60 and 70 (last year's bull I shot 2x, @60 and 70).

Distances ran before expiration were 30 yards, 400 yards and 70 yards. I achieved no pass throughs, some of that was due to shot angle (2 were quartering away and impacted the off shoulder). All arrows basically poked the tip through on the offside.

My bow shoots a 500 gr arrow at a little over 280 fps.

I think a couple things keep the broadheads from passing thru. The 2.0 is BIG, it has way more chance to hit ribs (or the shoulder) coming in or out. You definitely lose energy, so that is what it is. The blades are not sharp (IMO) from the factory, I remove and sharpened to 2500 grit then strop, super sharp.

Blood trails were outstanding on 2, ok on the 3rd, although in truth, the 3rd bull was a liver and one lung, not exactly a bleeder.

I will continue to use them, but I understand the downsides. I also carry a split quiver, 3 arrows with SEVR's, 2 arrows with fixed blades so I have options depending on the opportunity.

Note: My brother shot a cow @ 60 with a 1.5 (his bow has essentially the same speed and weight). Arrow didn't pass thru, cow made it 40-50 yards.

Pics of the bulls for shits and gigs...View attachment 679729

View attachment 679730View attachment 679731
I use the same method. Two broadheads in the quiver - fixed & Sevr. I moved from the 1.5 to 2.0. As you said a pass through isn't guaranteed with either. I'd rather have the bigger cut. Sharpen it as you mentioned and rock it.

S.Clancy

WKR
I use the same method. Two broadheads in the quiver - fixed & Sevr. I moved from the 1.5 to 2.0. As you said a pass through isn't guaranteed with either. I'd rather have the bigger cut. Sharpen it as you mentioned and rock it.
Yup. My experience is the SEVR with 1 hole gives better blood than fixed with 2 (I've shot many more elk with fixed vs expandable). The cut diameter is just massive. I'm not saying that is a hard rule, but just my experience. I think people get too wrapped up in thinking this broadhead or that one is better for blood. In general a bigger cut will produce a better trail, but there is random oddities with blood trails and archery.

Last year I killed a bull at 55, mule deer at 80, caribou at 70 all with sevr 2.0. All were pass throughs, all dead in 15 yards. I have previously killed another bull with the 2.0, pass through as well. 505g arrow/80lbs/30” so a bit more juice behind them.

I've put 3 Sevr 1.5's in bulls, from 8 yards to 63 yards. Never got a pass through, but killed all 3, less than 100 yards piled up pretty quickly. Not very much blood. I picked the 1.5's because I am shorter draw length and wanted increased probability of pass through.

KHNC

WKR

THis is what i suspected, and im glad i didnt take the time to listen. Thx