How are you weighing each charge?

PredatorX

WKR
I have have loaded pistol ammo off a progressive but of course never weighed each load like i want to do for rifle.

For you guys that go slow, doing one at a time how are you weighing your powder charge? Don't really want to spend the coin for an auto charger if I dont have to. What is an accurate scale you have found? also digital or i beam style?

Axlrod

WKR
I have the RCBS Chargemaster and wouldn't be without it. But I shoot a lot and my son shoots more, so I load a lot. I also still have my previous set up All redding: beam scale, powder measure, and trickler works well but slower.
I have a progressive Hornady press and the powder measure on it works pretty good with ball powder.
I think most of the scales today are pretty good, the digital ones will be a little faster to use though,

Ratbeetle

WKR
I have a Chargemaster Lite that I use for hunting and precision loads. If I'm just loading range ammo, I find the old standby RCBS powder throw and checking every 10-20 rounds on a beam scale to be accurate enough.

OP
PredatorX

PredatorX

WKR
Thanks for the input. Seeing as I would need to buy a powder throw and scale I should probably just go with that charge master lite or something similar.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

tdhanses

WKR
I have the Lyman gen 6 and while it’s been ok I don’t recommend getting it, stick with the rcbs products they seem to be much better overall.

Ratbeetle

WKR
Thanks for the input. Seeing as I would need to buy a powder throw and scale I should probably just go with that charge master lite or something similar.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

It isn't necessary, but I find the Chargemaster sure makes reloading less tedious.

Tod osier

WKR
It isn't necessary, but I find the Chargemaster sure makes reloading less tedious.

I really like mine and it has been great. If you get to reading reviews, you see people having trouble with them. What I will say is that mine works much better when I’m home alone using it. Mine is on a bench on a concrete floor bolted to the foundation and it is very solid, but if my wife is home home running around it gets noticeably slower and more picky. I can imagine having it somewhere less solid it could be a pain.

Sekora

Lil-Rokslider
I always used a trickler to bring my load up to desired charge weight on a beam scale. I use RCBS products for the most part and like them. I have since bought a chargemaster on sale for a great price and really enjoy pushing the button and letting it do the work.

bradb

WKR
I couldn't stand what seemed like super slow chargemaster and yes i tuned settings.
Adams autotrickler auto throw is awesome, yes a bit pricey. Less convenient setting charges, but his new up date should fix that.

Ratbeetle

WKR
That autotrickler is incredibly nice but I couldn't justify almost a grand for powder throw, trickler and scale. The Chargesmaster Lite, albeit a bit slow, does what I need for a couple hundred bucks.

I'm the odd man out. I just bought a Lyman digital scale and scoop out of the powder container. I think I spent about $30. It works fine for me and I doubt accuracy suffers much.

I will say weighing each load this way is tedious when I want to load 100 rounds and the chargemaster would be much quicker.

bradb

WKR
...... of course i am in a hurry today and other times and running 6br straight from a harrels into the cases and they shoot stupid good at 600

Sekora

Lil-Rokslider
I should add that I never ran my Chargemaster "stock". I purchased an insert for the spout that is essentially a brass bushing that was supposed to solve the problems with the unit. I have never had a bad powder drop out of the unit and I do not feel it really is that slow. I have only loaded for rifles out of it and only used stick powder. I normally push the button to drop the powder immediately after charging a case, so by time I seat the bullet in that case the next powder charge is ready.

Scott Parker did a Lyman beam for me a few years ago. That scale is on point! I also use a Chargemaster with brass insert. I'm saving for a custom build.17112.jpeg

INgunner54

Lil-Rokslider
I recently got the chargemaster lite. It was life changing! OK maybe not life changing, but man is it a lot nicer than waiting for my beam scale to zero out. I'm sure it's not the most accurate thing you can get, but it is more than adequate for my needs. Watch for them to go on sale it happens frequently.