How do you guys split up fuel costs

I've done the "kitty or purse" thing. It works nice as your always paying cash and no one is getting shorted by filling only 1/2 tanks while other fill when it's at 1/8th.

I've done the rotational tank thing. It's fine if everyone is on the same page.

I've put it all on my card and kept the receipts, then split it 4 ways in the end. This is probably the most accurate. And if you own a business the miles can be deductible ;) if you can manage to make some business reasons out of the trip.

I've never charged or prorated my rates due to wear/tear or been charged when we've taken other vehicles.

My mentality is usually, I'd be going if the others in the vehicle weren't with anyway so the point is generally moot.

davsco

WKR
With 3 or more guys, vehicle owner doesn't pay for fuel. With 2 guys, owner pays every 3rd fill-up.

yeah something like that. can't underestimate wear and tear costs on vehicles even if it's not immediately out of pocket. plus there are actual out of pocket costs such as cracked windshield, flat tire, actual accident.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Pull in to the most desolate greyhound bus station in Kansas/Nebraska and say “even split for trip costs right?”.

KJH

WKR
Sometimes I drive my truck, sometimes I ride along. We always just rotate who pays for each tank and don't give any consideration for who's vehicle is being used. We don't keep track, we just go.

Fuel is just part of the cost of playing, and I'd spend it regardless of someone else going along or who's truck is being driven. Someone who keeps track of the pennies and fairness wouldn't fit in with my pals. You can track pennies at home...

BCsteve

WKR
We try to take turns on whose vehicle we take when we go. With gas, we’ve done it 2 ways. One person pays for it and keeps receipts at the end and split it up after. Or the easier way IMO is we just alternate filling the truck up as needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That’s how we do it. It’s usually only me and my buddy so we’ve been alternating trucks every year. Start with a full truck and finish with a full truck, split fuel 50/50.

Felix40

WKR
This is another one of those topics that makes me happy I have the hunting partners I do. I dont think either of them makes a big deal about stuff like this. We have always just kept the reciepts then added up the total when we get home. The two passengers pay the driver their portion and a little extra for vehicle wear. They know Im cheap but they also know Ill pay whatever it takes to make things fair if they think Im shortchanging them.

muddydogs

WKR
The whole cash in a bag deal is just a pain anymore with having to prepay at the pump its just easier and quicker to slide the card.

When I go on a trip I know I have enough money to cover all the expensive and just don't like worrying about who's paying what or how much someone is paying. Ya I expect the others in the party to take turns putting in gas but I don't care if one guy puts in $40 and when its my turn I put in $80 its just not worth the hassle to worry about. Most the guys I go with bend over backwards paying there fair share to the point that I have to say no it's my turn to put fuel in my truck.
If on the off chance I make a poor choice in hunting partners I will say something once about them needing to take there turn at the pump and if that doesn't get them in line I will deal with it accordingly depending on the length of the trip. Most the time I will just put up with it until the trip is over then never ask them back, if the guy is a bad freeloader I have no problem telling them to put fuel in the truck or get your crap out of my truck and start walking.
I don't worry about maintenance or wear and tear as either way I would be going so saving a few bucks on fuel is already a bonus.
Theres been times that one of my buddy's is having problems and I know there a little hard up, I don't have a problems covering most of the expenses as I hope that one day when I'm having a hard time the favor will come back around. Life is to short to worry about cash when going hunting.

Worrying about this stuff too much can sure put a damper on time you're supposed to enjoy. Lucky to say it isn't something I've given much thought to in years.

In college when we'd go on 4-6 guy waterfowl hunting trips to Canada we just kept a tally of all gas/food/lodging costs incurred by everyone over the course of the trip. On the last day we'd add it all up and divide by the # of guys in the group. People under the average paid the guys who paid over the average to make it even. We'd rotate who's pickups got taken year to year.

The whole cash in a bag deal is just a pain anymore with having to prepay at the pump its just easier and quicker to slide the card.

Hahaha. Not even a remote hassle compared to having your card number ripped off. Happened to my old lady and to a growing number of my buddies. I don’t pay at the pump anymore.

Whoever drives their truck puts everything on their card to get the points. End of the trip we add up the receipts and divide evenly.

gbflyer

WKR
If my buddy was providing the truck, there’s no way he would be buying any gas. But that’s just me.

NebraskaStickHunter

Lil-Rokslider
Brother and I are heading out Saturday along with a buddy and his brother in another pickup. We will just tank for tank and I will buy him a meal or two along the way but the journey for me is only 7 hrs and his journey is 12 hrs so he has a longer trek. Like others have stated, we will just alternate whose driving each year and go with that so wear and tear is not an issue. Plus I only drive me pickup 5,000 miles a year so I need to get it on the road some. (work pickup saves personal pickup)

137buck

Lil-Rokslider
What I do, is rotate who pays for the fuel, and when the trip is done, if someone else is driving, I give them money for an oil change.

muddydogs

WKR
Hahaha. Not even a remote hassle compared to having your card number ripped off. Happened to my old lady and to a growing number of my buddies. I don’t pay at the pump anymore.

It happens, credit card cancels the card and charges are waived, its not that big of a pain. Now the guys that pull up to the pump, leisurely walks inside, uses the bathroom, get a snack, pay for gas then wander outside to finally pump there gas when there's a line 5 plus deep behind them there the hassle.

I've been paying at the pump for years all across the West without a problem and will continue to so I'm not that guy.

I’ll try not to hold you up

Last edited:
Split the fuel and the driver eats the wear and tear. Are you talking about more than 5k miles? seems pretty like a pretty minor thing to worry about imo.

tracker12

WKR
When we go the driver buys all the gas and we keep the receipts in an envelope. At the end of the trip we divide by 2 or 3 depending how many there are. Simple and prevents arguing. The every other tank full does not really work out since one time the tank may be 3/4 empty the other time empty. Also added in the envelope are tolls and hotel stops along the way. We usually also throw in an extra $50 that goes to the truck oner to pay for an oil change. We are coming from the east coast.

elkdog

Lil-Rokslider
Alternate on each fill up. Keep the receipts, write down the amounts. Then settle up when you get home.

crdmax

FNG
When I went on a moose hunt to Canada there were 4 of us and we each put 200 dollars in 1 envelope! Every time we stopped for gas we just grabbed money out of the envelope and payed for gas and whatever snacks!! When we got home we took the remainder of the money and split it even 4 ways!! That way nobody can say they payed more than the others!! Worked good

FURMAN

WKR
We always take turns filling the tank and don't worry about pennies. I hunt with the same group of guys and even though not all of us go every time we try our best to take turns driving.