How do you guys split up fuel costs

I use to do a lot of buddy traveling across the US in the old days. What we did was take an envelope and my buddy and I would each put $200 in it and put it in the glove box. When we gassed we would pay for it out of the gas fund. That way it did not matter how much fuel we put in, it was always equal.

THIS. Its the only way. When you run out you toss another 50 in there. When you get home you split it right down the middle.
You leave on a full tank and when you get back you fill the tank.

When you get home after topping everything off you split it right down the middle.

jwatts

WKR
Like a lot of others, we put money in an envelope before the trip. We figure in gas, hotels, tolls, ice, and other incidentals. We leave on a full tank and get home on a full tank. If anything is left, and it's enough to cover the oil change, the driver typically keeps that. Anything over that is split. In the past we get home with just enough left for an oil change.

Netherman

WKR
I think it really depends on your friends. We usually fight over who gets to pay for anything as neither one of us wants to be a mooch. If money is tight I would be up front with the plan and either do the envelope method or put it all on one card and split it up when you get home. Preferably their card if you're worried about them paying.

As far as reduced payment for the vehicle owner I think there is value there and try and pay more on the trip but I think those feeling will vary by person as well as income level.

NoWiser

WKR
We usually rotate fill ups and then argue with each other when the trip is over about the other guy paying more than his fair share. We don't worry about how full the tank is. There might be a year where someone gets by a bit cheaper than the others, but I guarantee if we averaged it out over the years, it would be dang close. Same with trips inside the gas station. If someone goes in and the others do not, they'll ask around and grab whatever the others want. At the next stop, someone else will probably do the same. If someone outside the usual group comes along and is noticeably and purposely avoiding expenses, the rest of us just shrug our shoulders and they will not be invited again.

We used to take 3-6 guys to SK every year for waterfowl. Would end up driving 3500-4000 miles in a 10 day stretch. I have always been the one with a "big truck" so I would always end up driving. We did the envelope thing for a few trips....but too complicated. I finally just told everyone I would put it on my card (get points!!!) then we split at the end. Like Netherman said...it depends on your friends....but my buddies would always add $50-100 to their part for me to do an oil change, detail, etc. Easiest in my opinion. If someone skimped out on adding onto the bill for "wear and tear".....they usually didn't get the invite for the next trip......

Hawkeye5964

Lil-Rokslider
We normally take my truck and I put all gas on my credit card. We keep the receipts, add them up at the end of the trip and divide by the number of people on the trip. Like others have posted, I’m going no matter what so I will pay for gas no matter what.